Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, after driving around for about an hour on the motorway and outside the city, the above 2 messages have come on on my V40 D2 (2013). I had just put fuel in it from Shell.
I have the orange engine light on and it doesn't seem to have much power. I was only able to accelerate slowly and was shaking while I was doing it but sort "got used to it" when I reached 45-50mph and then it was running sort of ok (not completely smooth though). Tried to change the gear back down to have higher RPM but then it started throttling. Only managed to get it up to around 2000.
Any ideas please? Also, if anyone knows a reliable person/garage where it could be looked at in West London, it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
321 Posts
You need to plug the car in to a diagnostic reader to check for fault codes. Without knowing which code(s) have been generated, people might suggest hundreds of different things that happened to them, but it is really a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack. Any decent reputable garage should be able to diagnose the problem, it doesn't have to be a Volvo dealer, or you can pick up OBD fault readers for very little money but that will leave you still to translate any codes into something understandable if you aren't mechanically minded.

If it happened after refuelling and has never been an issue before, it might be dirty or contaminated fuel. If it was a local pump, has anyone else had an issue (social media)? If you think that might be the cause, it's better not to drive the car until it has been drained and flushed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to plug the car in to a diagnostic reader to check for fault codes. Without knowing which code(s) have been generated, people might suggest hundreds of different things that happened to them, but it is really a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack. Any decent reputable garage should be able to diagnose the problem, it doesn't have to be a Volvo dealer, or you can pick up OBD fault readers for very little money but that will leave you still to translate any codes into something understandable if you aren't mechanically minded.

If it happened after refuelling and has never been an issue before, it might be dirty or contaminated fuel. If it was a local pump, has anyone else had an issue (social media)? If you think that might be the cause, it's better not to drive the car until it has been drained and flushed.
Thanks for your response. It wasn't a local pump, never been there before...will take it to a garage then and see what happens. Thanks again

·
Registered
296 Posts
As RS3100 says could be numerous things but when I had the exact same symtoms it was a failed injector. Best to get the fault diagnosed and procede from there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As RS3100 says could be numerous things but when I had the exact same symtoms it was a failed injector. Best to get the fault diagnosed and procede from there.
Thanks peanut....yeah, mine turned out to be the same, one of the injectors failed which is quite disappointing as it's fairly low milage

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you get the 'standard' comment from the dealer .. that's unusual, injectors never fail?
I didn't take it to an official Volvo dealership as the first appointment they could give me was the 8th Dec. This guy said the same though - it's unusual....shouldn't really happen below 150k miles

·
Registered
296 Posts
I didn't take it to an official Volvo dealership as the first appointment they could give me was the 8th Dec. This guy said the same though - it's unusual....shouldn't really happen below 150k miles
As I said, mine failed at 17,000 miles. It happened whilst I was on holiday and replaced at a main dealer. Wasn't totally happy with the repair and had it checked by my main dealer on my return. No error codes, no faults found. Then at 18,300 miles exactly the same thing happened. Yup another failed injector, a different one this time. Guess what my dealer said ......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As I said, mine failed at 17,000 miles. It happened whilst I was on holiday and replaced at a main dealer. Wasn't totally happy with the repair and had it checked by my main dealer on my return. No error codes, no faults found. Then at 18,300 miles exactly the same thing happened. Yup another failed injector, a different one this time. Guess what my dealer said ......
wow, that's ridiculous. very disappointing :cautious:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts