Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my V40 T4 for about 18 months. Twice recently I have had the temp gauge go up to max and the 'engine overheating, switch off immediately' message come up on the TFT screen. On both occasions this was whlist in non-moving traffic after 45 mins plus driving at Motorway speeds. The car has been to my Volvo dealer who can find no trace of a sytem fault on the diagnostics system.
Anyone else had this problem??

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've not seen it mentioned anywhere on here.

Sounds really annoying / troubling.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Keep an eye on the temp. It sounds serious.
Did your dealer recorded the reason you took your car for diagnostic check? Just to be safe with your warranty.
Do you think this is just a false temperature indication or is your engine really overheated ?

·
Registered
630 Posts
If it happens again, after turning off the engine switch on the ignition again and see what temperature reading you get. If it's normal then it's probably just an electronics glitch. If the reading is still high, then switch on the aircon or heater with the maximum fan speed to help cool down the coolant.:idea:
Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is the normal engine temperature for a car engine?

Engines vary. The normal operating temperature for a modern (e.g., 1996+) automobile engine, manufactured for sale or use in the US, will fall between 200 and 250 degrees F. Smog equipment and computerized combustion control favor a 'hotter' running engine. The proper amount and concentration of coolant in your engine will protect it.The thermostat plays a big part in controlling it. If you buy a 185 degree thermostat it opens at 185 degrees. Same with a 195 & so on. Average engine temp (as no specific given) would be around 195 - 205 degrees. The cooling fans come on around 210 degrees approx. The temperature will vary according to driving conditions, ambient temperature etc..Some newer engines will run in the 220 to 230 deg range.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have owned my V40 T4 for about 18 months. Twice recently I have had the temp gauge go up to max and the 'engine overheating, switch off immediately' message come up on the TFT screen. On both occasions this was whlist in non-moving traffic after 45 mins plus driving at Motorway speeds. The car has been to my Volvo dealer who can find no trace of a sytem fault on the diagnostics system.
Anyone else had this problem??
cadman,I'm keen to get the T4. 1.6 eco boost engines have had a host of problems. Ford had recalled the engines for a fix sometime in 2012. Thought all's fine,till I read your post. It's your exact symptoms. This suggest the fix by the engine manufacture is inadequate. Have you investigated the problem further!

" Ford's recall-prone 1.6-liter EcoBoost engine is once again causing problems for Dearborn, with almost 90,000 Escape and Fusion models equipped with the engine subject to the latest voluntary recall. Escapes equipped with the 1.6-liter EcoBoost have already been subject to three recalls since its introduction, including for fuel leaks and engine fires.
More on Motortrend.com:2014 Ford Escape SE 1.6 EcoBoost First Test
The latest recall concerns engine overheating, with warning messages appearing in the vehicle information display, and some reports of engine fires. Ford is urging owners of the affected models to contact their dealer immediately. Ford will cover costs related to overheating-related transportation."

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/ford-issu...scape-fusion-models-299593.html#ixzz3ILUuLeba

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.