Volvo V40 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Don't worry: my R design is lovely and quiet, being a T3 petrol does help, my father has a D2 ES on 16" tyres which whilst being less quiet than mine is not to be considered noisy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
below is taken from this review http://www.caradvice.com.au/269483/volvo-v40-d2-review/
But just look at the Volvo’s Michelin Primacy HP tyres and it’s clear that the early onset of understeer has more to do with a relatively low grip threshold than an inherent lack of chassis poise.

The harsh, busy ride on ripply roads and over sharp-edged urban bumps is at odds with the fat-sidewalled 205/55R16 tyres, though the Volvo blots up larger undulations with absorbency and good body control.

If the surface is smooth, the cabin is hushed, with just a trace of exterior mirror wind rustle to break the silence. However, on typically coarse-chip country roads, tyre roar shatters the serenity.

·
Registered
273 Posts
@worm59...fear not! When you get your car, drop me a line and we'll go out for a spin and compare notes. Your car will probably be wearing Pirelli boots when it arrives, which I actually enjoyed having on. I have no wind noise issues, but rest assured having done 40k in a year, I'll be able to tell you if you've anything to mention to Lipscombs. My guess is you'll have none. Cheers

Reactions: worm59

·
Registered
85 Posts
@worm59...fear not! When you get your car, drop me a line and we'll go out for a spin and compare notes. Your car will probably be wearing Pirelli boots when it arrives, which I actually enjoyed having on. I have no wind noise issues, but rest assured having done 40k in a year, I'll be able to tell you if you've anything to mention to Lipscombs. My guess is you'll have none. Cheers
Thank you, I will take you up on that. My car is in the UK now and is awaiting transfere to Lipscomps, Canterbury. I cant pick it up until my present lease has expired on the 21st.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Just come out of Portsmouth with relatives in the back. They commented that my V40 D3 is quieter than their new VW Golf petrol :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
The golf is not quiet, the quietest V40 rival is the Vauxhall Astra.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
The golf is not quiet, the quietest V40 rival is the Vauxhall Astra.
I can confirm that as I switched from an Astra J to the V40. Noise-wise the Astra was like a luxury saloon!!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Just had my first trip as passenger in the rear seat of the Lovely V. Wife drives with a foot far more leaden than mine and we travelled on M1. Average noise (only with Android App) was just over 70db at around 75mph. There was a noticeable 5db drop when smoother tarmac encountered.

According to the NHS hearing site, normal conversation is 60db. A busy restaurant/pub is around 70db. The V sounds louder but I'm guessing it's more the perceived constancy of the sound than the volume.

Rear seats are really comfy though and even with the noise I managed a few minutes of shut-eye! :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
noise

well adding about 10 kgs of sound mat installing a insert behind and above the front wheel arch with sound mat as well car is now averaging 50-55 db so I am happy but still wind noise from front side windows.
but then its offset with 110 db when I turn up the sound lol

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have the opposite problem - I think the car is too quiet.

I don't want an awful loud exhaust, but I would like to be able to hear something when I put my foot down. Our Scirocco is lovely and quiet, but if you give it some gas, it makes a lovely deep burble - I wish my V40 was similar.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The V40 is definitely not a quiet car. There's no doubt alot of road noise and the bad quality door seals contribute to that.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Well mine is definitely quiet, and there is nothing wrong with the door seals which obviously contribute to the low noise levels within the cabin. It's great. :). Such a sweeping statement is clearly incorrect! :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Sweeping statements indeed, from all sides.

Unless one drives on Motorways and dual carriageways all the time, then I couldn't possibly agree that the V40 is 'quiet'.

Sleek, comfortable, stylish, well constructed, safe, reliable etc etc etc... But quiet is isn't.

Reading the posts it is clear that if you have one of the entry models with smaller wheels and more rubber then you are far better-off noise wise than the low-profile 18+ inch wheel guys. It's just a great shame that these look so good but sound so bad. C'est la vie!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Unless one drives on Motorways and dual carriageways all the time, then I couldn't possibly agree that the V40 is 'quiet'.
:D For me this car is quite while I drive on country roads, on motorway, with high speeds its not quiet :( As we see here, it depends on which roads do you drive, and what is your speed.

Anyway - for me V40 is very quiet, too loud only at 140km/h+.
About exhaust - for sure I hear it, when I cross 5k RPM line, and no way to hear it when driving 'eco'.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Sleek, comfortable, stylish, well constructed, safe, reliable etc etc etc... But quiet is isn't.

Reading the posts it is clear that if you have one of the entry models with smaller wheels and more rubber then you are far better-off noise wise than the low-profile 18+ inch wheel guys. It's just a great shame that these look so good but sound so bad. C'est la vie!
I have the 16 inch rims and still find the noise deafening. I am also convinced that people experience noise differently. I have a certain amount of tinnitus from experiencing a lot of shooting, hand grenades etc so i find the noise very hard to live with. However, i would challenge anyone to come on a drive around some of the Lincolnshire roads, A57 in particular, and say the car is quiet. Even the Volvo technician was embarrassed when he had to keep asking me to repeat myself when i took him on these roads.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Already been to Lincolnshire in my V40 and I can't say I have experienced noise any louder or quieter than when driving elsewhere in the uk. I find the noise levels to be quiet and consistent in MY car even in Lincolnshire. But yes, we may have different tolerances.

·
Registered
227 Posts
noise

well we have a concrete highway around my area and before I put the sound mat in my car you could not hold a normal conversation at 120 kph .but that is fixed so next issue is to replace the crap Michelin tires and all will be good

·
Registered
17 Posts
@Toolmantim? What will you replace them with? I think Goodyear make the tyre with the lowest noise, but SupaQuick told me that the Michellin is the tyre that carries just "that little extra". He says, the Michellins are really worth their money and just makes others know your car is shod with the best tyre. He was not the first. Another friend of mine, chemical engineer at the Goodyear factory in Port Elizabeth told me back then to fit Michellins, because they just make the best tyres, even when he worked for the Goodyear factory.

So, I will go with the Michellins again....very expensive, but I will feel hard done by if the road noise is not less with a different barnd of tyres...I have the 18s, with MIDIR rims..

I have 24k on my speedo, and I am loosing grip already with the Michellins...

With regards to road noise:
1) to me it is high. My other car is a 21 year old Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3 Sportline with 244k km on the clock....have it for 6 years now...(from university days)...anyway, it is much quieter than my Snow White....

2) with 18'' rims and 45 profile tyres, it is what you should expect...high road noise...

3) I love the T5 purrrrrrrrrr.......and on kickdown, it screams!! I just can't bring the two sounds together.....I want to choose the the purr over the scream....

·
Registered
110 Posts
After just one month and 1.600kms on the clock I can say that my V40 is relatively quiet. No wind or engine noise.
On the other hand I have little road noise, always depending on the road Tarmac.
My v40 is "wearing" Michellin 205-55 on 16' alloys
I have always proffered Michellin for their grip, but since the quiet ride was one of my priorities when choosing my v40, I would not mind going to a quieter tyre.
Some of you suggested Pirelli.
Any feedback on this?
I will also try adjusting tyre pressure to get better results.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts