Volvo V40 Forums banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
My T3 on 225/47-17 Pirelli's is noticeably quieter than father's D2 on 205/55-16 Bridgestone's.
I find the noisiest roads are the one's that have been surface dressed with tar and granite chips.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My Michelin saver+ 205/55-r16 91V are EU labeled : B fuel Eco, A rain, db70
http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-energy-saver-plus#tab-tyres-benefits

Michelin primacy 3 are EU labeled db69

According to this they are quieter than the Pirelli and Continental.
A quick search gave me the Goodyear efficient grip performance as the most quiet ( according to their EU label : 68db)

I still reckon my Michelin are good tires. I want to adjust their pressure as they are now in Eco. I am sure they can be even quieter with a little adjustment.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I know that our ears tend to face forward and therefore are more sensitive when listening in front of one but I've never had concerns with the rear tyre noise. Back of the car rolls along peacefully. It's the front that seems to roar a little.

My P3's have done 14k and they are now quieter but I guess that's because they are smoother!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi every one, I have a V40 Cross country. Im experiencing a lot of road noise and a funny noise coming out of the steering when Im parking. High pitched like. I have 18 inch rims nd have only done 4000km. This is my 2nd volvo (XC70) and this car is noisier than the GOLF GTi I just sold. Hopefully I sort it, or just play my music louder!

·
447 Posts
Hello all! Just changed my Pirellis, on 22000 kms only, as one of them presented a bulge, after falling into a deep pothole (Nothing happened on its own, I did it all !!! :p I went for Dunlop Sport Blueresponse, characteristics A, B, 68 db. A short tour (30 kms), it seems to be better than the Pirellis.

·
Registered
2 Posts
noise

well adding about 10 kgs of sound mat installing a insert behind and above the front wheel arch with sound mat as well car is now averaging 50-55 db so I am happy but still wind noise from front side windows.
but then its offset with 110 db when I turn up the sound lol
Can you give more details about the mat and how you installed it please

·
Registered
234 Posts
Can you give more details about the mat and how you installed it please
This is probably Dynamatt or similar, and it's usually used to line the boot wells (on an around where the spare wheel sits) and possibly under the carpets in the cabin. Some cases they would also remove the door trim and line the metal door bits inside, with these as well. As a consequence, the sound system would actually sound better too!

Back to noise levels, when new I had a very annoying 'amplified' wind noise coming from around the driver's side mirror or A pillar (mine is RHD) over 70mph, I can only compare this to an air funnel and making the wind noise louder than it is. However, the car has got older and dirtier, and any empty gaps for this air funnel, probably blocked by dust and dirt, this annoying noise has gone, and it's a lot quieter at speeds. Older road surface are noisy ish, but newly laid dark tarmac on highways make it a lot quieter, until I can have a conversation in normal speaking voice. Tyres are Primacy 4, 205/55 R16, and I usually use 36PSI all round. The V40 is quieter than my previous Seat Ibiza (running 40 profile tyres on 17 rims), but i felt my Seat Leon before that was quieter on highways, also running 205/55 R16s.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've started the process of sound deadening and blocking many holes that lead to the exterior. I can recommend products of Russian firm standartplast STP.

Found 1 shop in Spain that sells the complete range. It's a lot of work though. Will make a separate thread once I progress some more.

Attachments

61 - 68 of 68 Posts