Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I noticed this a while ago but today actually for once, I did not forget to record it. I have a T4 manual and the exhaust makes this vibrating noise which is coming only out of one of the exhaust pipes: here is a video, sorry for the vertical :angel:

The engine was warm after a 30km drive so that's that. I wonder if this is normal? Thought that maybe there is a flap and the fumes only go through one pipe while idling? Thought it might be the hangers or the heat shield but the noise does not change when I apply pressure (holding it etc).

Anyone ideas? Normal? Anything else than the hangers/shield to check next time I am in the shop?

·
Registered
175 Posts
No vibrating noise from my T5 - sounds like there's a loose hanger on one side. Hopefully an easy fix.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No vibrating noise from my T5 - sounds like there's a loose hanger on one side. Hopefully an easy fix.
Checked underneath the car today, mostly around the back. Hangers seem to be tight all around. I will have a look on the heat shields when I have it on a proper car lift.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Looking at the config of the box I would say it's either the Cat and that pipe (being closest to the entry) is passing the most of the noise, or a loose baffle plate inside the back box local to that tail pipe.

Or some ar$e has dropped a bolt in that tail pipe.

That's assuming that most others don't sound the same and there is genuinely an issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.