Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I have chrome exhaust tips on my T4. Is there an easy way to get them removed? I would like to paint them black. Therefore the temperature must be between 15 and 20 degrees, which is not the case right now.
I was trying to get them removed, have already sprayed WD40 between the tip and the pipe, there is a very slight movement, but no way to pull it off. :frown2:
Any ideas that might help? Thanks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi there,
I have chrome exhaust tips on my T4. Is there an easy way to get them removed? I would like to paint them black. Therefore the temperature must be between 15 and 20 degrees, which is not the case right now.
I was trying to get them removed, have already sprayed WD40 between the tip and the pipe, there is a very slight movement, but no way to pull it off. :frown2:
Any ideas that might help? Thanks.

They are off, finally. Just put a long small screwdriver between the tip and the pipe, and use a hammer on the screwdriver to hit it. They will come off without any damage.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for the tip! I'm trying to get these off for a while now without succes. Going to try this methode this weekend.

Could you maybe do me a favour and measure the outer diameter of the exhaust pipe?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip! I'm trying to get these off for a while now without succes. Going to try this methode this weekend.

Could you maybe do me a favour and measure the outer diameter of the exhaust pipe?

I wil let you know soon.
Just as extra info, if my text would not have been clear, here is a picture.
Before you start, you can spray WD40 between pipe and tip and wait 10min.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Does someone have any experience with Foliatec Exhaust spray black? It's hard to find some reviews on this rather new product.
I am going to use it on the chrome exhaust tips. In the video they show they also use it on chrome.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

That is 56 mm.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Spraying is ready, 3 layers are done, then a very fine finishing layer. 250ml in the can is more than enough...

Now the paint has to dry and harden for 7 days (inside the house, temp between 15 and 20 degrees)... That's what they recommend, so I will do so.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And a picture of the car without the chrome tips. Looks even better than with the chrome tips on it. If the diameter would have been larger, I would keep it like that.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As you seem a lot more knowledgable on exhaust tips then myself, I presume knowing 56mm I could just buy an exhaust tip off eBay that attaches directly to it?

The R Design versions are over £100 as an accessory which just seems silly ?
Sure why not. Just keep in mind that the Volvo exhaust tips completely slide over the exhaust pipe, wile other tips you can buy don't. So maybe you need to cut off a few centimeters of the exhaust pipe...
Also remark that only the last part (about 10cm or so) is 56mm, closer to the exhaust it is less.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Can anyone link to suitable EBAY listings please

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks! Any change you could also give me the dimensions of the exhaust tips?

The outside diameter is 70mm.
The inside has 4 kind of clips/springs to mount the tip on the exhaust pipe, as can be seen on the picture.

When you want to buy something else, I would recommend an outside diameter of 80mm, that will just look a little bit better I guess.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And after 11 months and mixed weather conditions the paint is still like new!

·
Read Only
71 Posts
my chrome tips are really pitted, don't think the previous owner ever cleaned them, they need a proper sanding down before a repaint.....

·
Registered
396 Posts
Ahh, yours is the 'regular' non-R Design tips, didn't know those had caps as well, thought the R-design tips was put over the regular tips, didn't know the regular tips are also tips over the regular exhaust. haha..

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Never understood why R-design is so popular on a D2... but that's another topic...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts