Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a 'factory fitted detachable tow-bar' and the car came without it fitted, I am told it is only ever fitted at the dealers (which I tend not to believe).

Is there any members on here who could answer this question from a factory perspective, instead of a dealer answer please?

Or any member who has had a detachable towbar and knows for a fact it was fitted at the factory

·
Registered
718 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Wizzy, I only ordered it because I understood it was a factory option.

My dealer confirmed it was ordered as a factory fit option, then the car arrives without it and they have changed tack by saying it's not available as a factory option - so why the change of heart.

The thought of someone taking a jigsaw to my brand new & perfect £30k baby scares me to death and it's not what I subscribed to.

I know it can be fit at the dealers but I really sought a Volvo source to confirm it cannot be supplied from the factory with a towbar.

Since at the moment without seeing reference work they have done I'm frankly not letting them do it

I'm extra worried as mine is an R-Design with the fins in the diffuser

·
Registered
718 Posts
Jifen, obviously I can't speak for your dealer, but I wouldn't hesitate letting my dealers fit the towbar. But then this is the third Volvo I have had, all from, and maintained by the same dealer.

Reactions: jifen

·
Registered
163 Posts
Jifen, I installed my own detachable towbar because I didn't like the massive chunk Volvo wanted to cut out of the bumper - the cover panel looks terrible in my opinion. The one I installed is much more discreet when the ball is removed.

It only took a few hours to do with basic tools and a dremmel.

Have a look through my posts - I think it was called "Towbar bravery" or something. :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jifen, I installed my own detachable towbar because I didn't like the massive chunk Volvo wanted to cut out of the bumper - the cover panel looks terrible in my opinion. The one I installed is much more discreet when the ball is removed.

It only took a few hours to do with basic tools and a dremmel.

Have a look through my posts - I think it was called "Towbar bravery" or something. :)
I think I have seen it it but thank you I will have a good look.

Seeing all the heat shielding below it which would need cutting and the big cut out in the bumper I'm currently glad I didn't get it done (for the moment)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ps I contacted Volvo directly and they have confirmed the detachable towbar is not available from the factory and only as a dealer fit option.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Seeing all the heat shielding below it which would need cutting and the big cut out in the bumper I'm currently glad I didn't get it done (for the moment)
Don't worry about the shielding, a decent pair of scissors will make light work of it! I did two cuts and folded the spare bit back so it's between the silencer and the tow bar.

If you use the Witter bar like I did, you only have to make a small, square cut in the plactic, right at the bottom. Have a look at my pics and you'll see it's barely noticable compared to the Volvo version. :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Our ex Volvo head office runabout has the detachable kit and with the styling pack too, although it appears not to have been used in anger. If its dealer fit then whoever did the work did a very good job, I took it to have been fitted at the factory.

Ed875

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.