Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my car just over a month now and on the whole really pleased with it. Few issues though - it had to go back to dealer as whole drivers door panel had a really annoying rattle, thankfully seems to be fixed now.

Now noticing that every now and then all the red lights appear for the collision warning system and there is nothing in front of me - it also doesnt appear to work properly when there is actually something in front - except for the 4 orange LEDS appearing - have never felt it auto brake etc and I have allowed it to get pretty close to the vehcile in front. I've had the manual out and checked the settings for the driver support aids and its all set up ok - anyone else had this?

Did a long run yesterday - just over 300 miles, mix of A roads and dual carriageway and averaged 68.9mpg which I was really pleased with.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just today i had some warnings without a car in front of me.

It was a sunny day with blue skys .. maybe .. some sun irritation ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
kiter said:
Had my car just over a month now and on the whole really pleased with it. Few issues though - it had to go back to dealer as whole drivers door panel had a really annoying rattle, thankfully seems to be fixed now.
Can you let me know what Volvo did to fix it, as I have the same thing on mine?
thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Have everyone now a rattle free car? :O

Still:
Plastic "clunk" beside or under the dirver seat
-at turns/bumps on the road, most likely when the chassis/doors are twisted.

Buzzing sound:
- Somewhere in the dashboard, around vents or speedo.
- Door panel when playing music with some base.
- Another buzzing sound from door panel or above the windows.

Extremly dangerous to try to locate exactly where when driving :p

·
Registered
175 Posts
I didnt think my City Safety was working properly until one day I wasn't paying enough attention and the brakes automatically kicked in. Like you I tried to get close "on purpose", but you have to be dangerously close before it works (and it does work really well).

·
Registered
40 Posts
I thought there was something wrong with my V40 when I got it until I realised it was the City Safe. I'm in the habit of coasting down into my underground company car park and timing the automatic barrier to lift so I don't have to stop. The barrier is just above bonnet level. The City Safe kicked in and SLAMMED the brakes on - boy, is it savage ! I've now got out of that habit to avoid neck injury :dodgy:

I suppose a test might be to drape an old sheet or similar across a couple of chairs and drive towards it greater than 4kmh.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Niggles,

I had and have many....I am really considering trading mine in for a 2015 spec or so...or going over to Audi (I was deciding between the S3 Sportback or V40 T5). The build quality on my V40 is poor...for a premium brand car...:-/

I own a 2013 V40 T5, with the 2.5 motor.
The bonnet stoppers fell out and got lost...dealer replaced them;
The paint on the bumpers (front & rear) stopped bonding. Dealer willing to respray both front and rear bumper...hmm, no thanks...:huh:
Rattle with driver's door panel while playing music. Dealer fixed it, but then introduced squeak in door when going over bumps, at speed. Turned out to shave paint off on inside of the driver's door...they repaired it, car needs a spray on the inside of the door, but sqweek is not gone. Plastic door panel on driver side loose...:confused:
New rattle in the dash above the speedometer. On cold days the worst.
Rattle from somewhere in the back left corner. In general, the car sqwiggles and creeks when cornering...:dodgy:
Geartronic box a nightmare....only changes to 4th above 40km/h and to 5th gear above 55km/h....(in "manual mode)...
The air-conditioner is noisy when turned down to one or two bars...it sounds like an old fridge compressor...
In general, I would have dumped the car a long time ago already as it has too many niggles and in the one year of ownership, even though Volvo always took the car in for repairs, my V40 has been to the dealership 6 or 7 times. This is not a very nice experience...it sucks..:blush:
I am really considering it strongly to do away with my V40, but the new T5 has a 2.0 and the sound of the 2.5 purring along is just too addictive...so, I do not know what to do with my V40...the Geartronic box is also horrendous...

·
Registered
382 Posts
With British roads being generally 'bumpy' I would be amazed if any car I owned didn't have some creaks or groans. Plastic screwed to metal or other plastic will always complain when twisted imho.

After 16 months the Lovely V creaks in the nearside rear corner every time I reverse off my drive after parking overnight. It's as if she has settled into one position on the shocks and objects to being moved.

The latest noise is when I pull into a car park and then reverse into a spot, invariably I get a low-pitch groan when starting to raise the clutch. A few seconds and it goes away.

All goes to add personality doesn't it.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
31500 miles. 19 months. No problems whatsoever. Great quality premium build car. Drives like it rolled off the dealers forecourt just yesterday. Superb car.

·
Registered
945 Posts
31500 miles. 19 months. No problems whatsoever. Great quality premium build car. Drives like it rolled off the dealers forecourt just yesterday. Superb car.
So why are you on the v40 forum then (he is obviously showing off his ford ;). )

·
Registered
175 Posts
Niggles,
the sound of the 2.5 purring along is just too addictive...so, I do not know what to do with my V40...the Geartronic box is also horrendous...
I wonder if there's a different exhaust on the Cross Country T5, because the only problem I have with my car is that it's exhaust is far too quiet. Our VW Scirocco makes a lovely roar when you put your foot down, the V40 is totally silent.

I admit that the Geartronic isn't great, I was also considering Audis (S3 or S5), but the ride was far too hard for the Peak District roads I drive everyday. I am getting used to the 'box though, I think it's actually quite good in "S" mode.

Other than that, I've had no issues at all with my car yet (on 8000 miles).

·
Registered
71 Posts

Now noticing that every now and then all the red lights appear for the collision warning system and there is nothing in front of me - it also doesnt appear to work properly when there is actually something in front - except for the 4 orange LEDS appearing - have never felt it auto brake etc and I have allowed it to get pretty close to the vehcile in front. I've had the manual out and checked the settings for the driver support aids and its all set up ok - anyone else had this?

Did a long run yesterday - just over 300 miles, mix of A roads and dual carriageway and averaged 68.9mpg which I was really pleased with.
I think the lights etc. come on if the road dips a bit - even the camber on a crossroad. the lights have also come on going up a hill i think. Only happens occasionally. I have had the auto stop come on once when I was approaching a barrier too quickly before the arm had gone up properly. Worked a treat and stopped dead - too me a moment to realise what happened (NB A message came on the screen - can't remember what it said exactly but something about city safety I think.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
12 Participants
KevininSydney
Volvo V40 Forums
If you've ever wondered what modifications or upgrades you can do to a Volvo V40, this is the right owners club for you.
Full Forum Listing