Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Wondering if any of you have come across a similar issue and if there are any tips out there.

The back doors of my V40 have finger prints all over them that I cannot wash off. A thorough polish manages to hide it temporarily and then their back. Very annoying and visible on Biarritz Blue paint. Presumably it's prints that are from my kids hands and some reaction in the paintwork to dirt or suntan cream.

Any thoughts or ideas on what I could try ?

Thanks !!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
132 Posts
It's suntan lotion and seems to make a terrible mess of paintwork. As yet I haven't found a way of removing those lovely hand prints. Fortunately the v40 is print free, but it's predecessor looked like a piece of modern art from friends with kids borrowing the car. I now tell everyone to wash their hands or keep away from the car! There must be a solution out there.

·
Registered
718 Posts
What polish are you using? I use Blackfire Wet Diamond Kit, which seems to remove any greasy marks, and then provides excellent protection.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I don't have this, but have other washy swirls on my paint, looks like the car wasn;t washed properly. Got me some meguiars polish,still need to apply it and see how the car looks then

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jobi - I'm suspecting sun tan lotion too. Knowing now what it can do makes me nervous when hands get close to the car. I'm sure there's some fine print in the manual somewhere warning of this but it makes you wonder why paint is not tested with something that is so likely to touch each other. Probably too many variants / chemicals across all the brands to make it worthwhile.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
718 Posts
Thanks Wizzy. I'll give that Blackfire Wet Diamond Kit try. See if I can find that here in the Netherlands. I can't recall the polish I used before but it removed it only for it to come back later (I guess once worn off)
In the UK I got it from http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes definitely affects all makes, old a3 really suffered, xc70 has a few hand prints and nobody is allowed near my beautiful red! Make sure all hands are washed free of suntan lotion it's the only way.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Before the summer hands touch my car, did anyone decide what works best on those suntan lotion finger prints? I can see only one set where some numpty has been admiring the car. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Quick google for removing sun cream from car paintwork brings up a fair few suggestions with quite a lot of "professional detailers" opting for Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) and a good wax not sure I would be that brave, but perhaps try it on a patch that's behind some carpet in the boot first. :nerd::nerd:

Reactions: Jobi
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.