Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I purchased my V40 R-design in October 2013 and it had been registered by the dealer in August. At time of purchase it was showing 20km on the clock. A week or so ago I'm getting a warning when I start up saying 'maintenance overdue' the car has less than 7000km on the clock now and won't (I believe) be a year old 'till end July/August.. Any ideas why this might be?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hi, I purchased my V40 R-design in October 2013 and it had been registered by the dealer in August. At time of purchase it was showing 20km on the clock. A week or so ago I'm getting a warning when I start up saying 'maintenance overdue' the car has less than 7000km on the clock now and won't (I believe) be a year old 'till end July/August.. Any ideas why this might be?
mine was registered in Nov last year and is warning me about a service and this message started at about 11200 miles. Going in tomorrow. I have asked the dealer to tell me what software updates are done.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mine was registered in Nov last year and is warning me about a service and this message started at about 11200 miles. Going in tomorrow. I have asked the dealer to tell me what software updates are done.
Thanks for that. It seems rather curious. I called my dealer today and he said he would call me back with an explanation but never did. I'd love to know what your dealer says ☺

·
Registered
97 Posts
Had the same "early" warning with mine and my dealer said that it starts counting when it leaves the production line (service is every xxx miles or every 12 months). The dealer can reset the counter when the car is sold but they seemed to have forgotten that on mine ;)

·
Registered
945 Posts
It strikes me the dealer did not do the pdi properly, they should have reset the service intervals as part of this, remember sometimes cars can be sat for months in fields before being registered

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It strikes me the dealer did not do the pdi properly, they should have reset the service intervals as part of this, remember sometimes cars can be sat for months in fields before being registered
That's a good point! Close to where I work there is a car compound where they stock new cars prior to delivery to the dealers and I noticed many Lexus cars sitting there for several months. So I suppose it happens to all car makes. I'll get back to my dealer again. Many thanks:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Service is every 20000km or annual, depends which one comes first. You car obviously is close to annual, and obermuh's explanation above

Reactions: snagglepuss

·
Registered
13 Posts
The countdown starts at PDI, chances are the Dealer did the PDI when the car arrived in stock. It may well have sat in the Showroom or on dispaly for any number of weeks or even months. They can reset the counter when the car is sold.

·
Registered
395 Posts
well I have just had my fist service and when I got home after a drive of about 7 miles checked the Service Information on the display and it says next service due in 12275 mile - not 12500 as suggested. Also gives less than a year!
I also found that some trim from the air intake in the engine that had come loose and should have been replaced was not - despite them saying it was done. The trim was on the floor in the passenger side. And they told me they owe me a complimentary wash as they couldn't get to it. That is two washes they owe me now..... Like I am going to drive 10 miles to get a free wash - twice!!!

·
Registered
945 Posts
well I have just had my fist service and when I got home after a drive of about 7 miles checked the Service Information on the display and it says next service due in 12275 mile - not 12500 as suggested. Also gives less than a year!
I also found that some trim from the air intake in the engine that had come loose and should have been replaced was not - despite them saying it was done. The trim was on the floor in the passenger side. And they told me they owe me a complimentary wash as they couldn't get to it. That is two washes they owe me now..... Like I am going to drive 10 miles to get a free wash - twice!!!
This is not far from what I have also had to put up from with Volvo dealers (although they actually washed it once----I never let dealers wash my car:mad:)

And Volvo try to come across/put themselves forward as a premium brand???

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well it's not just in the uk that the pdi check isn't done correctly re service clock setting. Mine has just come on about 6 weeks early, it may not seem like a lot to some people but that lands the car for servicing in August. In Spain that is the worst month to do anything, let alone the 40 km trip to the dealer in tourist traffic. So I am off to get them to reset it or make a note that it's not correct.

·
Registered
252 Posts
You can find your car's build week on your car's MY Volvo web page.:thumbup:

Handy to know to check against the 1st service reminder.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Mine came on two months early. Just after Christmas for a 1st March registration. The sales guy asked that I put up with the warning and wait until the service time suited me as it would always be out of date compared to the registration if I had the service early.

It was a minor annoyance and doesn't affect the vehicle at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.