Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Although everything written in the article is technically true, It seems a bit harsh to say that fitting wider wheels and tyres is generally dangerous. In most cases, people won't go crazy on the sizes they will fit to the car because of all the extra (body)work that is needed to make them fit in the first place. I know enough people running V40s with 235/35 and 245/35 R19 with a lower offset than standard an even a guy running 235/30 R20 on his V40 without any problems (most of them are lowered too).

I myself run a 225/40 R18 standard Volvo wheel but have lowered the car 35mm and widend the track by 50mm at the back and 40mm at the front. While my front camber is still within volvo spec, the rear is way out with 3 degrees of negative camber without having extremely uneven tyre wear over the last 20000 km.

The slightly higher tyre wear is a price I am glad to pay for the quicker turn in and added stability in high speed turns on the Autobahn. I drive 2000km of Autobahn every month and generally do so at high speeds, so I won't be getting much mileage out of a set of tyres anyway ;)

If you stay sensible and have a professional check it (in Germany we have to have all changes approved by the very strict TÜV), you should be fine. Guys that go for the extreme widening and camber mostly know that they will pay with increased tyre wear.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Obermuh.

Assuming 7,5", ET52,5 standard wheels, would your 225mm tyres fit without change of camber angle and without other mods when widening the track with 40mm (ET32,5)?

Best regards
Herup

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi forum

Just resurrecting this thread with a small heads up :)

I´ve just changed from 16" 205mm to 18" 225mm, and learned that if you would like to use wider wheels than your car was "born" with, steering deflection limiters and software update plus four wheel alignment is required. Not that there will be any scraping in the wheel arches without the mod, but if you don´t have the mod. made, there will be too much power at wide steering deflection, causing the wheels to spin/scrape over the asphalt in a not so cool manner when accelerating through sharp curves, possible also overloading the steering system in the long run.
The software update also adjust the speedometer and if the car has automatic parking, this system is also adjusted.

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-se/V40(13-)/InstallationInstruction/Document/VCC-461164-1/2016

Best regards
H

·
Registered
389 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has or knows if this rim size will fit under the arches ok. 18 inch 8j rim with an et45. With 225/40 tyres

Dont have much knowledge with what will and wont fit the volvo.

Regards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.