Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I bought a 2013 cross country a couple of weeks ago. My battery went flat last week. Probably my own fault I'll have left something switched on. My stop start and heated seats were both working before this. Iv started reading a little bit about the stop start and battery issues but still going through the posts. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue and if it could all be connected or could it just bad look that they've broken this soon after getting it? Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
133 Posts
With Stop/Start you have two batteries. I'm assuming you mean the main battery is flat. the supplementary battery should be powering accessories so leaving a map light on shouldn't flatten the main battery

·
Registered
246 Posts
Try charging with a smart charger, and see whether it holds the charge.
Sometimes heated seats, aircon etc take a lot out of the battery and the ' not so ' smart alternator doesn't always charge the battery in order to save fuel.
Otherwise just take it the car for a run without running those things, if you haven't got a smart charger.
People with failing old battery problems often report Christmas style random fault lights on the dash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great. Thank you. When starting it up this morning it struggled and seemed like the battery again. Did eventually start but the clock had gone back to 12am so presuming that was something to do with the battery too. Also had a lot of lights on the dash. Turned off and got it started again and all the lights had gone off. Heated seats did work today though after the run to work. Will give it a good run tomorrow and also look into getting a new battery. Thanks again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi. I bought a 2013 cross country a couple of weeks ago. My battery went flat last week. Probably my own fault I'll have left something switched on. My stop start and heated seats were both working before this. Iv started reading a little bit about the stop start and battery issues but still going through the posts. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue and if it could all be connected or could it just bad look that they've broken this soon after getting it? Any advice appreciated. Thank you.
Probably the original battery from when car was new. Dealer charged it up just before you drove away :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bought a new battery and everythings working again. Stop start is a bit hit and miss. Sometimes works and sometimes doesn't but as long as the car starts and drives fine I'm happy. Will have a look at replacing the other battery behind the bumper at some point too just for piece of mind. It was the original battery too so at least that's sorted and now has a few year warranty. Thank you for all the help.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Start stop may only work again, once the 2nd battery is topped up. If haven't driven a long time, might take at least a 30mins drive (or more) for it to be enabled again, and has nothing to do with engine temperature.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I though the start stop was related to engine temperature and outside temperature (below 8 doesnt work).
Engine too cold or too hot it wont work.

Mine isnt working for months now. Dealer says no error. (I have an polestar exhaust and DO88 intercooler. Not sure if it has anything to do with it?)

·
Registered
246 Posts
I though the start stop was related to engine temperature and outside temperature (below 8 doesnt work).
Engine too cold or too hot it wont work.

Mine isnt working for months now. Dealer says no error. (I have an polestar exhaust and DO88 intercooler. Not sure if it has anything to do with it?)
That's right, stop start can destroy a red hot turbo that needs cooling after a motorway run for example, and it would also delay a cold engine and the exhaust catalytic converter reaching operating temperature thus increasing emissions.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Really the reasons why not? I've never seen that?
You have to go through all the menus to find it, but when you are in the start/stop menu it will say available, or a reason why not.
I've seen messages that the battery charge is too low, that the battery load is high (heated screens were on) and also that the engine was too cold (there is also one something about atmospheric pressure and altitude)

It also won't work if the engine is running a DPF cleaning cycle

·
Registered
338 Posts
Oh yea, you can see it via that method too, after having not driven for about 2-3 weeks, it did say battery low on the display.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts