Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve just had a spare wheel fitted to my T5RD and so I now have the folding floor which now sits pretty much directly on top of the regular floor.

Now here’s the problem - when I took both the floors up to investigate a knocking noise I found it was coming from a loose triangular shaped piece of black plastic at the back in the centre that I guess is to hold the folding floor in place. I pushed it back into where it looked like it was supposed to go and tried to put the bottom floor back in but with that piece of plastic in place the bottom floor wouldn’t go in without dislodging this plastic and with the plastic dislodged the folding floor won’t go down properly. Both floors are fine if I remove it altogether.

So my question is this - is the plastic chock supposed to be removed when not in use and if so where is it meant to be stored?

Cheers

Penguin

·
Registered
92 Posts
I also added a high level floor and space saver spare, the dealer left the underfloor bit in just as yours did. It doesn't work with the spare and folding floor, which as you guessed sits on the plastic bit when open. I cut a broad notch in the back of this underfloor, tidying the edges with duck tape. There is now just enough room for it sit under the folding floor, covering the spare wheel and the stuff I have around it. Quite tough to to cut though for little gain, but I think it's that or throw it away or try to sell it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a factory fitted spare wheel and folding floor in a V40T2. It does not have a bottom floor but has a square piece of felt covered trim that just fits over the wheel but presumably this is something you only get with the factory fit spare and raised floor.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'll have to go and inspect mine in detail then and see what is actually there.
My car was built without a spare wheel and the dealer retrofitted it at my request before delivery.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The underfloor sits oddly on top of the spare in my T3 V40cc because of the shallower spare wheel pressing in the floor pan, maybe it's different in cars with a deeper pressing. The rear of the spare is too high to allow the underfloor to go underneath the plastic clip. I'm calling it an underfloor but that's just my guess.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all so much for such swift replies; this is so much better than the Honda forums of my last car.

So as I understand from the replies the plastic chock only really works if either (a) the car has a deep wheel well or (b) there isn’t a spare wheel at all (in which case there’d presumably be space between the folding and real floor). As it is then the folding floor only has one job in my car which is to make the load bay flat when the seats are down.

I’m on a PCP so I won’t take a Stanley knife to the underfloor, I’ll just keep the chock somewhere safe at home.

The spare wheel is the main thing; A rim split France last year and it ruined the holiday with us stressing as to whether a new one could be summoned up before we had to go home (it arrived on the very last day, and a big shout out to Volvo assistance who were magnificent throughout).

Through all that I thought how much simpler it would have been if I’d just had a spare wheel - sure I’d have had to limp home at 50 if no rim had arrived in time but I’d have still got home.

Cheers and thank you

Penguin

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a factory fitted spare wheel and folding floor in a V40T2. It does not have a bottom floor but has a square piece of felt covered trim that just fits over the wheel but presumably this is something you only get with the factory fit spare and raised floor.

I bought a spare wheel kit and folding floor for my 2017MY T2 from VolvoPartsShop, and it came with the upper folding floor and the felt covered undertray/cover moulding that sits over the spare wheel. I think there are two different versions, depending on whether you have a spare wheel or not. When you order, you have to select whether you already have, intend to fit, or do not have a spare wheel, and the floor kit price varies from £88.08 with no spare fitted to £173.99 for the kit used with a spare fitted.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I’ve just had a spare wheel fitted to my T5RD and so I now have the folding floor which now sits pretty much directly on top of the regular floor.

Now here’s the problem - when I took both the floors up to investigate a knocking noise I found it was coming from a loose triangular shaped piece of black plastic at the back in the centre that I guess is to hold the folding floor in place. I pushed it back into where it looked like it was supposed to go and tried to put the bottom floor back in but with that piece of plastic in place the bottom floor wouldn’t go in without dislodging this plastic and with the plastic dislodged the folding floor won’t go down properly. Both floors are fine if I remove it altogether.

So my question is this - is the plastic chock supposed to be removed when not in use and if so where is it meant to be stored?

Cheers

Penguin
Would you need to remove everything that constitutes the "original floor cover assembly" ??
I have the spare wheel and raised floor, and if i remove everything that can be removed, all that is remaining is a left & right plastic fitting, and a small central piece near the rear seat, which accepts the cover when folded open. The folding raised cover, sits on top of these rails, without fouling on anything underneath. Not sure if my car has a deeper pressing for the spare wheel though.
The spare wheel pressing in the floor is at an angle, so the spare wheel comes very close to the underside of the folding cover, but only near the rear seat end.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I assumed the dealer gave me the underfloor as a courtesy, since I had paid for it, even though it didn't quite fit. A couple of the used V40s in the showroom I looked at had only the folding floor/supports and the spare wheel with kit. We got a spare for our V60cc at the same time, this involved doing away with the opening floor and fitting a flat floor, but they gave us back the now useless underfloor moulding for it.

I tried using the V40 folding floor to retain carrier bags, but they came off, that's a useless feature.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I bought a spare wheel kit and folding floor for my 2017MY T2 from VolvoPartsShop, and it came with the upper folding floor and the felt covered undertray/cover moulding that sits over the spare wheel. I think there are two different versions, depending on whether you have a spare wheel or not. When you order, you have to select whether you already have, intend to fit, or do not have a spare wheel, and the floor kit price varies from £88.08 with no spare fitted to £173.99 for the kit used with a spare fitted.
This spare wheel business is getting confusing. I thought it was only the D2/T2 with the hidden exhaust that had a full spare wheel well, but having just bought a D3 Design Pro, I find the spare wheel fully recessed.

The business of the floor kit is also confusing as I also saw two prices for with and without a spare wheel. I paid approx £90 with VOC discount and fitted the kit quite successfully in less than 10 minutes.

The fit is identical to that in my previous D2 SE Lux Nav

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thank you all so much for such swift replies; this is so much better than the Honda forums of my last car.

So as I understand from the replies the plastic chock only really works if either (a) the car has a deep wheel well or (b) there isn’t a spare wheel at all (in which case there’d presumably be space between the folding and real floor). As it is then the folding floor only has one job in my car which is to make the load bay flat when the seats are down.

I’m on a PCP so I won’t take a Stanley knife to the underfloor, I’ll just keep the chock somewhere safe at home.

The spare wheel is the main thing; A rim split France last year and it ruined the holiday with us stressing as to whether a new one could be summoned up before we had to go home (it arrived on the very last day, and a big shout out to Volvo assistance who were magnificent throughout).

Through all that I thought how much simpler it would have been if I’d just had a spare wheel - sure I’d have had to limp home at 50 if no rim had arrived in time but I’d have still got home.

Cheers and thank you

Penguin
When I fitted mine, there was already cuts in the floor felt to put the centre support lugs through without butchering the material.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
This spare wheel business is getting confusing. I thought it was only the D2/T2 with the hidden exhaust that had a full spare wheel well, but having just bought a D3 Design Pro, I find the spare wheel fully recessed.

The business of the floor kit is also confusing as I also saw two prices for with and without a spare wheel. I paid approx £90 with VOC discount and fitted the kit quite successfully in less than 10 minutes.

The fit is identical to that in my previous D2 SE Lux Nav
Apparently with the introduction of the VEA engines the exhaust system routing has changed, which allowed the use of the 'deep' boot floor pressing (that was originally only used on the non-R Design D2s) on more models.

There are two versions of the two-level load floor kit. One is used for cars that have the deep spare wheel well, where the spare already fits under the existing carpet floorboard (or on cars with the shallow boot floor that are keeping the repair kit instead of a spare wheel). This comes with a shorter version of the standard flat carpet floorboard (the two ends are cut off so it fits between the plastic side supports for the upper floor, and it has a notch in the front edge for the triangular securing hook)) to cover the spare wheel (or repair kit), which leaves a 4 inch deep storage cavity under the upper foldable floor:

The part number for this kit is 31351391. The new lower floorboard contained in the kit is part number 31332572

The other version is used for cars with the shallow boot floor pressing where a spare wheel is being fitted.. Instead of the flat floorboard to put under the foldable floor (which won't fit as the spare wheel sticks up above the level of the existing boot floor) it comes with a moulded 'tray' with a couple of shallow storage pockets that sits over the spare wheel:

This version uses the same part number for the variable load floor kit (31351391) plus the additional part number 31332509 for the moulded tray, which is why it's a lot more expensive.

·
Registered
27 Posts
On a similar note... I'm looking for a moulded spare wheel tray/cover if anyone has one for sale?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,424 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Buzby, thanks for your tactful explanation. It seems that I was supplied with the wrong version for my car. I ordered it when I purchased the car, there aren't any itemised part numbers and the part you call the lower floorboard wouldn't fit. I was pleased to have a spare wheel and surprised that I had room to store the contents of my Mk1 V40 boot under the lower floorboard once I'd broadened and deepened the notch visible in your photo. It covers everything and I suppose you could store a laptop or something very shallow between it and the folding floor. But in the end I was so unimpressed with the folding floor that I added a plastic boot tray.

·
Registered
678 Posts
That's interesting, I'm missing the moulded tray! Not that I'm particularly bothered about that, I have a few cleaning items stored with the spare wheel plus a spare set of floor mats.
I have the shallow well, probably because it's a T5 so space is needed for the transmission?

And like the previous post, I have a plastic boot protector tray and rarely if ever go under that so the split folding floor is out of sight and unused.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Apparently with the introduction of the VEA engines the exhaust system routing has changed, which allowed the use of the 'deep' boot floor pressing (that was originally only used on the non-R Design D2s) on more models.
This is where it gets even more confusing then, as mine's a 2017MY T2 with the 2.0 VEA engine and I must have the shallow floor pressing because there's no way I can fit the lower flat floor panel with a spare wheel fitted, I have to use the moulded cover panel.

The floor kit did come with both the upper and lower flat floor panels, as well as the moulded wheel cover though.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
That's interesting, I'm missing the moulded tray! Not that I'm particularly bothered about that, I have a few cleaning items stored with the spare wheel plus a spare set of floor mats.
I have the shallow well, probably because it's a T5 so space is needed for the transmission?
Is your T5 AWD? It may be to make space for the Haldex diff module, but it's just as likely that you have a large transverse silnecer under the floor. That's why most R Designs have the shallow floor regardless of the engine spec.

This is where it gets even more confusing then, as mine's a 2017MY T2 with the 2.0 VEA engine and I must have the shallow floor pressing because there's no way I can fit the lower flat floor panel with a spare wheel fitted, I have to use the moulded cover panel.

The floor kit did come with both the upper and lower flat floor panels, as well as the moulded wheel cover though.
The variable floor kit includes the flat lower floor regardless (as it can be used on 'shallow boot' cars that have the repair kit instead of the spare wheel). If you buy the kit for cars with the shallow floor and the spare wheel the moulded tray is ordered as an additional item, so you are just supposed to throw the flat lower floor from the kit in the bin.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts