Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65reg V40 D4 Rdesign ice white
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only just noticed that if i start the car from cold and the front screen needs demisting, i can hit the screen demist and there is almost instant 'hot' air blowing on the screen well before the engine has warmed up enough to allow the thermostat to open.
Question, has the cabin heater matrix got an inbuilt heater element possibly like an electric kettle?
Dave.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Don't think so, but the valves in the engine cooling system will send what warm/hot water there is to the screen demister first if it's on. Plus the aircon will dehumidify the air too so even cold air will dry the screen. And obviously if you have a heated screen that is almost instant in action.
On the other hand being a diesel it won't warm up particularly quickly.

·
Super Moderator
713 Posts
you don't have a quickclear electrically heated screen do you?

·
Registered
65reg V40 D4 Rdesign ice white
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just out of curiosity i tried it again this morning.
8 degrees outside temp.
Open and sat in the car, seat belt on, fired car up and pressed both AC and demist buttons, it was blowing warm air onto the screen before i could even drive away, literally within seconds.
I doubt i have the winter pack option, (if it would do that), it's as though i have a heater element in the air flow somewhere.
It's as though it has an old type diesel pre-heater element if anybody remembers them before glow plugs became the norm.
Thanks for all your replies.
Dave.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have only just noticed that if i start the car from cold and the front screen needs demisting, i can hit the screen demist and there is almost instant 'hot' air blowing on the screen well before the engine has warmed up enough to allow the thermostat to open.
Question, has the cabin heater matrix got an inbuilt heater element possibly like an electric kettle?
Dave.
Hi Dave
If you have the winter pack which it sounds like you do, there's electrical assistance to the front demist setting, press it twice and you will have the electric heater in your fan unit, and electrical screen heater.

Took me two years to realise, but you are right. The car doesn't wait until the engine is warm and uses an internal electrical heater in the matrix.
This is only cars with the Winter Pack option.

For me it's a lifesaver at this time of year.

Get in car, start engine, turn off start stop and press front demist twice.
Then I feel the heat within seconds, and the car is toasty for my drive.
Before I knew about this, I found it hard to get the cabin warm at all in the winter with my D2.

EDIT: Just seen your 2nd reply. Not sure about WInter Pack then, but yes. the heat is deffo electrically generated when using that demist button, and not from the engine coolant.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Is that electrical heater on all cars with the Winter Pack or just diesels?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I went out earlier so decided to test this on a cold start. No heated air on my petrol T5 (early 2016 vintage) though double-demist is pretty effective anyway.
I went back to "Auto" as it was all clear after a few seconds and heard the system wind up to blow warmer air about a mile down the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts