Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I've get the finish a complete tank on my new(to me) D3. It has just over 8000km on the clock.

I filled it up for the first time and I've not really driven it a lot. Up and down type driving, never more than 15-20km at a time. Today I noticed that the two fuel bars are already gone and I've just clocked 60km. I've not been driving hard because I wanted to see how many k's I get to a tank.

This seem rather high to me. When I check my range it says 400km. Add that with the 60km I've done and 460km seem extremely low, granted, right now it's all an estimate.

I phoned a very knowledgeable service guy from one of the Volvo dealerships and he says that it's highly unlikely that there is a problem.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
718 Posts
As a matter of interest, what does the on board computer return? I am getting 51mpg, but I don't do many long journeys

·
Registered
85 Posts
I fill my V40 D3 2 LITRE tank with diesel at the same pump every fill. I divide the number of miles on the trip by the amount of diesel. I am a very careful driver and don't do a lot of miles. I get around 45 miles to the gallon. This is about 10% less than what the on board computer says I should get.

D3 SE LUX WITH NAV. FLAMENCO RED, REVERSING CAMERA, 17 INCH SEGOMO WHEELS.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use a spreadsheet to log our mileage..... basically fill tank, when next refill, record the mileage and input mileage, litres used and price - it then gives me the mpg and cost/mile.

So far only had 3 tanks full so too soon to be clear. However so far we are getting just over 50mpg and not been driving for economy. This is with a D4.

I think you need to check over a few tanks worth.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys

It may be a little early for me to jump to worry because I've yet to drive a full tank through.

I know it's sounds noob but where do I check what my on board computer is saying?

I took it for a test yesterday and watched the real time consumption meter that shows up on the TFT display. At one stage I think it bugged out and showed 40l, I'm really hoping that it was an error because it didn't stay there long.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Two places, one on the TFT display. Use the controls on the LH stalk to select. The other place is on the centre screen. Select MyCar on the panel below, then using the top RH knob on the panel, select Trip Statistics. I reset that to New trip every time I fill up, and leave the overall one to run continually. I am currently showing 51.5mpg, and that is fairly close to my calculated figure of actual miles driven/fuel purchased.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I'll have a look.

I spoke to a Volvo service guy and he said thats it's highly unlikely that there is something wrong.

Still it does bother me a little that I've lost two bars on the gauge with only 60 off KM's of driving.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys

I'm going to do a test as recommended by my Volo dealer to see if all is good with my fuel gauge and consumption.

On Monday I'm going to fill up to the brim, reset all the dials, set a new trip in the My Car menu and drive to a neighbouring city which is about 60km away. Grab a lunch and drive back.

Is there anything else you guys think I could do to make it more scientific?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Is there anything else you guys think I could do to make it more scientific?
Do what UltraViolet does.

I calculate my car's average consumption at the end of every month, both for that month and since new. You can expect the monthly average to vary significantly from one month to another, depending on your journeys, driving style, and on the season of the year and the weather etc.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to update you guys, I did the drive to the neighbouring city, worked out to 60km's odd and a consumption of 5.1, the fuel gauge also never moved off full.

Looks like there is nothing wrong with my car, sweet.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I get around 460 - 500km just city driving, that is from Randpark Ridge to Illovo (15km drive between houses), mornings and afternoons back, going to the shops, soccer training in evening and matches on sundays.

If I do city driving and gone to airport and back for example, I will get around 600km, this weekend going down to Port Shepstone, will see how the long road is on the consumption.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.