Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and I have a v40 cross country t3 . I love my car however fuel economy is not great . Can I ask what sort of mpg you guys get my car is 1.5 automatic . Forgive me if I have posted in the wrong area I'm not great with forum s lol.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hello

I have the R-Design T2 1.5 automatic Its only 3 months old. See my signature as I've been tracking fuel each time I fill up. I mainly do school run (3 miles round trip) and 50 mile journeys on the weekend, so not many long journeys. I'm also a bit surprised by what I'me getting. I'm putting in Shell V-Power to see if it makes any difference. What are you getting?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2016 V40 T2 1.5L automatic and over the six months that I have owned the car I have averaged 38 mpg, mostly driving on rural A roads. I do very little driving in towns or heavy traffic.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi. I have a MY16 T3 Geartronic. A lot of short, urban trips returns about 35mpg. The occasional longer A road or motorway trip sees much better consumption.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and I have a v40 cross country t3 . I love my car however fuel economy is not great . Can I ask what sort of mpg you guys get my car is 1.5 automatic . Forgive me if I have posted in the wrong area I'm not great with forum s lol.
What is the mpg you have been getting?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Hi shiveringgoat

With these sort of mpg returns I really don't see me getting a t2 auto at the end of our d2 lease, I could go with 38mpg on an t2 auto but 26mpg not a hope so would have to go though an endless search for the best diesel deal, with comfort a high consideration, the d2 v40r has this and more but has been removed from the Motability site along with all diesel engines, as far as your low mpg returns I believe the winter weather may be something to bear in mind, as even our d2 has dropped to 47 mpg on a 50 mile run this week, some 10mpg less than I would class as normal, on this v40 r though our v40cc d2 could only ever get mid 40s, which was returned due to unresolved faults, I know Volvo dealers always seem to come up with no fault found but seem to forget that some faults are never going to show on a computer run program, I would get back to the service department and question the injectors and visible inspection of the fuel system because your mpg is just way low though short journeys jams and lots of hills don't help I suppose, really hope you see some improvement soon.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Does your mpg improve now that you have the car over a year? Just picked up a T3 auto (1.5) 15 miles on the clock. Did 300 miles back from collecting the car mainly 40-70 mph roads, with some small city + rush hr traffic, it averaged just shy of 42mpg. Will soon do an 'extra urban' journey of no traffic, and 40-50mph roads, hopefully I can get just below 50mpg. London city driving, not hopeful, maybe around 30mpg I'll be happy.

·
Registered
131 Posts
For me the fuel consumption is still the same, ie very high in heavy city traffic: approx 10 to 11 l/100km. On highways at higher speeds (=100...200km/h) it's around 7,5 to 8 l/100km.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just did a 32 mile 'run' back and forth on predominatly 30-60mph roads, light to medium traffic conditions and I got 43.5mpg going up, and return 45.8mpg. Still learning how to drive the car economically....hope it gets better. Car now has 370 miles on the clock...still getting to grips with start stop...eg..if you turn it off, and decide, actually, now I want it to go off (the engine), press the button, it doesn't do it!

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just did a 32 mile 'run' back and forth on predominatly 30-60mph roads, light to medium traffic conditions and I got 43.5mpg going up, and return 45.8mpg. Still learning how to drive the car economically....hope it gets better. Car now has 370 miles on the clock...still getting to grips with start stop...eg..if you turn it off, and decide, actually, now I want it to go off (the engine), press the button, it doesn't do it!

You have to enable the start/stop again before the car stops completely, otherwise it won't work. Anyhow the start/stop with a geartronic is not usable in city traffic because the frequency in stopping/starting the engine is so high, so I don't use it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
You have to enable the start/stop again before the car stops completely, otherwise it won't work. Anyhow the start/stop with a geartronic is not usable in city traffic because the frequency in stopping/starting the engine is so high, so I don't use it.

Ahh, thanks for that, it's very different to my old car, even if start stop is off, and I have stopped, enabling it, would turn the engine off right away. Volvo I need to get going again, afterwhich the next time I stop, engine will go off. Yes I agree, crawling traffic it's difficult to use, more so than my previous DSGs.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I just don't find any situation where start/stop is any use whatsoever, given our journey patterns.
Short local journeys - never warmed up enough for it even to activate, and rarely stop for long anyway.
Long-distance journeys - hopefully always on the move.
Driving through London in heavy traffic; you have to disable it to make smooth, slow progress and use the adaptive cruise comfortably.

Also, I'm very used to the "creep" you get with an automatic, controlled by very gentle braking, and that effectively becomes unavailable.
It's particularly useless if you're trying to park in a confined space.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My car, V40 T3 2014, 5-cylinder variant, has an average consumption of 6.5, this consumption I made in the city and on the highway 130-140km / h, and that in the cold season!

·
Registered
234 Posts
So in terms of fuel economy despite the newer 2.0 and 1.5 Volvo Petrol Drive-E engines, the older engines (Ford ones?) are actually more economical? I thought things progressed through time in becoming more economical.

·
Registered
52 Posts
@Iancu Dorel afaik there has never been a T3 with 5-cylinder engine. The T4 and T5 used to be a genuine Volvo Block with 2.0 or 2.5 litres displacement, the T3 has been a Ford Ecoboost 1.6litre until 2015 (?), from then on it's a VEA 2.0 or 1.5 litre 4 cylinder.. I have a 5-cylinder D3 with Geartronic and I can drive it under 5 or over 7 litres/100 km, it really depends on many factors.. the driver is the most important factor in my opinion.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a 5-cylinder D3 with Geartronic and I can drive it under 5 or over 7 litres/100 km
Under 5????? Please tell me your secret! No matter how carefully I drive (and I do all the time), the nearest I've ever achieved is 5.2.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Under 5????? Please tell me your secret! No matter how carefully I drive (and I do all the time), the nearest I've ever achieved is 5.2.

Probably getting to speed (say 30 - 50 mph) and just keep that constant speed? And a lack of traffic. Previously had a VAG 2.0TDI 150 that would do close to 60mpg or like 4.7l/100 crusing @ 70mph over 100 miles and a 1.0 TSI petrol that would do under 5l/100 over 200 miles. In traffic, I even got 8-9l/100 on both.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Probably getting to speed (say 30 - 50 mph) and just keep that constant speed? And a lack of traffic. Previously had a VAG 2.0TDI 150 that would do close to 60mpg or like 4.7l/100 crusing @ 70mph over 100 miles and a 1.0 TSI petrol that would do under 5l/100 over 200 miles. In traffic, I even got 8-9l/100 on both.
So, a sort of economy run? Alas, not really possible where I live - we live in a hilly area, and most longish trips are on the autobahn at ca. 100kmh.

·
Registered
234 Posts
So, a sort of economy run? Alas, not really possible where I live - we live in a hilly area, and most longish trips are on the autobahn at ca. 100kmh.

As my T3 is still new, I'm still learning how to lift off pedal at desired speed (eg..speed limit) so that economy improves greatly, while speed doesn't decrease. I've mastered this technique in my previous car(s) and on a quiet late night run on 30-50mph roads, I could get 63mpg (4.5l/100) on a 20 mile round trip on a petrol.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts