Volvo V40 Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mines a 2013 T4 (1600cc), most driving is country roads 100kph with minimal small city driving, I drive carefully and get 6.5/100km. I’m very happy with that but long to open her up, I’m just such a tightass... well maybe since it’s Christmas... heheh

·
Registered
234 Posts
Did a ~ 150 mile trip on quiet roads and highways, got approx 43-44 mpg or 6.5l/100. Did a gentle 19mile journey on 40-70mph roads few days ago...managed 47mpg / 6.0l/100. Until the engine losens up, (still only has 600 miles) I guess this is the best consumption I would ever get, which is not bad considering on paper it should get just under 50mpg 'combined'. Hopefully after 2k miles, I can get 2-3 more mpg like for like, I would be happy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have done about 200 miles city driving in medium to heavy traffic (the joys of christmas shopping) and currently averaging about 5.1l/100km (55mpg) with the 1.6 D2 so pretty happy so far. With the fuel econ as it is it's working out cheaper to drive into work in the city that to take a bus which I won't complain about!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Under 5????? Please tell me your secret! No matter how carefully I drive (and I do all the time), the nearest I've ever achieved is 5.2.
Under 5 (4,7), when purely on the Autobahn with not too much traffic and speeds not above 130 and some kilometers with road works, i.e. 80 km/h, of which we have a lot in germany..

I just came back from Denmark (a 850 km trip) with an average of 5,3 litres/100km). It could have been less, if I hadn't speed up to 140-150 at the end!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Under 5 (4,7), when purely on the Autobahn with not too much traffic and speeds not above 130 and some kilometers with road works, i.e. 80 km/h, of which we have a lot in germany..

I just came back from Denmark (a 850 km trip) with an average of 5,3 litres/100km). It could have been less, if I hadn't speed up to 140-150 at the end!

Why less than 130 on the Autobahn when there is almost no traffic??:laugh::surprise::nerd:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2014 T4 manual. I get 42 mpg on short runs to work (3.5 miles) and typically 47 mpg on a long run including motorways. It does make me wonder if the newer models are less efficient.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Why less than 130 on the Autobahn when there is almost no traffic??:laugh::surprise::nerd:
Because it's so much more efficient and because the V40, especially with the old Diesel and Geartronic, is such a great cruiser! I've done speed runs on tracks I know and when I compare the times on long trips when I'm cruising at 120-140 km/h, I maybe get home some 15-20 minutes earlier for a 500 km trip, which is not much, given a consumption that is minimum 30% higher..
Moreover: many people think it's a dream driving on the german Autobahn because of the lack of speed limits, but in reality, I prefer countries with speed limits (I never thought I would say something like that!), because here, most of the people think, they have to drive as fast as possible, just because it's possible, which results in situations, where you just cannot drive 130 km/h smoothly, because the right lane is full of trucks, everyone else drives on the left or middle lane and the traffic flow is horrible, because there's only 90 or 150+ average. When I was a kid, things were different with almost empty highways and no tempo limits, but today, all of our praised Autobahns are full of trucks, racers and looots of road works. Still fun to drive with my Volvo, but in the end, trucking (with the possibility to go in racing mode) is more pleasant than pure racing.. If I want to go racing, I'd like something like an Aston Martin Vantage or an Audi RS3 (which is also a great 5 cylinder!)

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a 2014 T4 manual. I get 42 mpg on short runs to work (3.5 miles) and typically 47 mpg on a long run including motorways. It does make me wonder if the newer models are less efficient.

I do wonder this too, wondering if it's the GPF filter post WLTP or that Volvo (despite being a 2016 engine) are not as good as Ford in making engines..How is a 1.5 engine (T3 auto) this un-economical. VAG makes a 1.5 engine with cylinder shut down and can do 40-60mph (2 cyl mode) whilst acheiving 60+mpg. Best I've done is 47mpg..downhill mostly at same speeds! I can't wait till about 2k miles, where people say, the engine would be 'better'.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Are people in this thread quoting the figures from the car systems, or a long term mileage based on fuel put in the tank? My T3 thinks it gets about 2mpg more than I actually get, and although our D3 V60 seems a bit closer, it's still not accurate. My full tank to full tank consumption is presently only about 40.5mpg. I'm doing more short journeys and motorway journeys than rural driving these days, and also it could be partly due to the 18 inch wheels it came with, but I admit I could try to drive more economically than I actually do. I'm not upset about the mileage though, it's a lot better than my old car was despite having more things that use power and therefore fuel, like heated seats and sat nav and so on.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Are people in this thread quoting the figures from the car systems, or a long term mileage based on fuel put in the tank? My T3 thinks it gets about 2mpg more than I actually get, and although our D3 V60 seems a bit closer, it's still not accurate.
I quote actual fuel consumption figures, and, like yourself, I've found the dashboard consumption indication to exaggerate (sometimes considerably - it's not consistent) how much I'm getting. At best it's only an approximation.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Because it's so much more efficient and because the V40, especially with the old Diesel and Geartronic, is such a great cruiser! I've done speed runs on tracks I know and when I compare the times on long trips when I'm cruising at 120-140 km/h, I maybe get home some 15-20 minutes earlier for a 500 km trip, which is not much, given a consumption that is minimum 30% higher..
I've found that the fuel consumption rises considerably at higher speeds on the French autoroutes (130kph), typically 6.1-6.4L/100Km).

·
Registered
6 Posts
D3 R-design Pro auto - registered 2018. Had for 2 weeks - am currently getting 43mpg according to trip computer. Seems many others getting more.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've found that the fuel consumption rises considerably at higher speeds on the French autoroutes (130kph), typically 6.1-6.4L/100Km).
Just back from a month in Italy passing through the various countries to get there.
D4 Auto 4 cyl
2928 miles distance, average 54.6 MPG, using fuel fill ups for calc.
Well pleased, had the roofbox filled to the rafters - reckon 65kg all inc, boot full both ways, rear seats down on the way home again full to the rafters.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Did similar mpg on a long run in Portugal from Porto to Lisbon, and back via scenic routes on an Audi A3 1.6TDI. Likewise a trip from London to York, Leeds, Cambridge, and back to London on a Seat Leon 2.0TDI, and a trip from London to Manchester, to Liverpool and Back to London on a 1.0TSI petrol Seat Ibiza. All the above could get ~ 55mpg. V40 T3 (1.5), on several medium-long trips (from London) to Gloucester and back, Margate and back, yielded around 48-49mpg. Cruise control on @ 68-70mph mostly.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts