Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

MY16 V40 D3 acted strange today when I went out for fuel.

The guy at the fuel station inserted the nozzle/needle into the fuel slot and started pumping the diesel in.
After a bit the noozle snapped giving the indication that it had reached full tank.
I found it odd and started the car just to check the level of the diesel and it was only one dash above the minimum.
The guy then kept piping in the diesel and kept saying the tank had air inside and all the while some diesel was coming out the bottom of the car (back right wheel under the tank) and out the diesel slot as if it was over filling.
This is quite strange to me...he told me I had either a puncture on the tank or air inside the tank...
Either one of these two are complete novelties for me.

Anyone has some thoughts on this please?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is it possible that the fuel level sensor in the tank has failed? Were you able to see any leaks? In any case, you should be under warranty.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was the pump nozzle pushed fully in, as there's an internal cap
That is a good question...I have been wondering that myself since then...because the noozle and the hose attached to it was coming all the way from the other side of the pump and inserted into the car. The hose was taut due to the distance of the hose.

But would that cause the leakage of fuel from the bottom?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it possible that the fuel level sensor in the tank has failed? Were you able to see any leaks? In any case, you should be under warranty.
The only leaks I saw was at the petrol station while doing it. A leak coming out the bottom of the car (back right wheel under the tank) wile the person was inserting and holding the noozle in.

After that, and after an overnight stay in the garage no leak was observed!

·
Registered
720 Posts
There is drain just inside the filler cap, so any fuel coming back out of the filler pipe will drain down to the floor near the right back wheel. Sounds to me as though the nozzle wasn't properly inserted, and therefore the fuel was bouncing back.

Reactions: Brigstowe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys,

The guy at the fuel station inserted the nozzle/needle into the fuel slot and started pumping the diesel in.
After a bit the noozle snapped giving the indication that it had reached full tank.
I found it odd and started the car just to check the level of the diesel and it was only one dash above the minimum.
The guy then kept piping in the diesel and kept saying the tank had air inside and all the while some diesel was coming out the bottom of the car (back right wheel under the tank) and out the diesel slot as if it was over filling.
This is quite strange to me...he told me I had either a puncture on the tank or air inside the tank...

There is a Bleeder Pipe on some Cars of which when you overfill the Tank the Diesel Flows out through the the Bleed pipe onto the Ground and if you do not Notice that there is a trickle of Juice Pouring out you could Be Pouring Money down the Drain : Further More there Must have been a fault on the Nozzle or the Pump attendant did not have his Nozzle Pushed down the Hole Far enough

·
Registered
78 Posts
Pump attendant being useless for sure.

I've had a similar "phantom clicking" thing happen on my old car when I was being a bit absent minded when filling up.

The leak at the rear of the car will not be from the main fuel tank but from an overflow tube right at the entrance to the filler cap, designed to safely divert fuel for people who forget to stop pumping or allow for drips before removing the pump from the car (or fail to put the pump in far enough, in this case).

·
Registered
772 Posts
without doubt the guy holding the filler, is your only problem, the filler handle has to be inserted downward and locked in with the notch that should be on the handle, as you know doubt know yourself, the filler chap had pulled the the pipe to far and must have had the angle wrong, well that's my take on it, in the uk we don't get the tank filled for us, only very occasionally. so take care not to put the expensive stuff on the forecourt. :laugh:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi guys,

Sorry no thoughts on this but I have have a d2 on a 16 plate and end up with fuel all over the floor when refilling have it booked in to dealers in two weeks ( thanks to covid for the delay) it time took me 15 minutes to get 10 pounds worth of fuel in today...... was advised by dealership to try different angle with fuel nozzle but didn’t work ...... it’s embarrassing at the petrol station and so wasteful I could cry when the fuel is puthering out on floor

·
Registered
274 Posts
I find the pump nozzle must be all the way down past the second flap and at the optimum angle, try variations on sideways , there is a knack to it. The higher the pump pressure the more tricky it becomes.
I have been filling diesels for 40 years , yet my D3 caught me out too, not the easiest.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi guys,

I find the pump nozzle must be all the way down past the second flap and at the optimum angle, try variations on sideways , there is a knack to it. The higher the pump pressure the more tricky it becomes.
I have been filling diesels for 40 years , yet my D3 caught me out too, not the easiest.
strangely though I have had the car for 3 years from new it has happened before a few months ago and appeared to be a one off put it down to using a different pump at Tesco and last month initially used a different pump then went back a few days later and managed to fill it using my favours pump ....... but not this time the dealership also suggested exactly what you said and tried this but only got £10 of fuel in leaving a small puddle on the floor at the filling station too will try again tho ugh x

·
Registered
274 Posts
You could try putting fuel in with a can using the filler pipe thing from the boot, that would ascertain whether there's anything blocking the filler pipe.

·
Registered
313 Posts
There is one pump at my local Tesco that always shuts off after about a litre of fuel is pumped in, (you have to keep releasing the pump handle and starting again) I now just avoid that one particular pump and have no problems

·
Registered
432 Posts
Once I tried pumping petrol from a left sided pump, (V40 fuel insert it's on the right), didn't quite managed to get it across the car with handle pointing down, but it was pointing sideways, thought, ok, that would do...starting pumping...and believe me, lots of fuel came out. The other cars I've owned previously, didn't have the V40 style airlock, but just a cap, and could take the fuel whichever angle it entered as long as it was in the slot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you for your replies is at the dealers as I write a his so will keep you all posted ...... I know it might’ be a big bill coming my way so have a little compensation for it though the courtesy car is a a S60 T5

·
Registered
14 Posts
Back from my visit to the garage to look into the fuelling problem the dealership couldn’t find a problem with my car...... so I went to the Tesco garage near the garage and filled up with no issues garage suggested it could be the fuel station pumps where I usually go...... let’s hope I don’t have to start doing a 40 mile round trip to fill up with fuel !

·
Registered
432 Posts
V40 nozzle system doesn't help things. In my old non Volvo cars, at least I could hear (diesel) and smell (if petrol) going into the tank, but in the V40 I only know, if I feel the movement of liquid via the hose..which is not always obvious if you're not holding the hose as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry if I'm a little off topic, but you guys seem to know a lot about fueling, so my problem is that I can't seem to fill it all the way up... last time I wainted for the last bar to turn red, then I went straight to a station and went to business... 42 liters.... until the pump clicked, waited a few seconds tried again... a few drops went in and the pump clicked again... repeated a few times, same result. When I check the car it only shows 7 bars instead of 8. Any tips? Sounds like an issue that needs a service, but I'm not in a hurry with all this covid stuff as I'm running out of money xD

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've never actually filled my V40 till the top click, so I can't comment, but I would think from red light till full (seeing that the tank is 62l) you should at least be able to get 50+ litres in there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts