Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 T3 R Design manual
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never been able to get used to the clutch on my car, but I now think I've sussed out why. When increasing speed, changing up through the gears, the revs hesitate for a second once the clutch has been released. Meaning the car pauses it's speed for that second. I would like to know if anyone else has come across this issue? I've a 2018 T3 manual.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Not sure this is an issue. Maybe this is a kind torque limitation to save the clutch.
I also notice this behavior in the geartronic when going from gear 4 to 5 (after remapping and only when accelerating fast)

·
Registered
2018 T3 R Design manual
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, if it is supposed to function that way, has anybody else noticed this happening?

·
Registered
2018 T3 R Design manual
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Judging by no responses, this must be an issue with my car and not torque limitation. I've also discussed it with a volvo technician and there was no mention of this pause being normal.

Anyway, a clutch kit was fitted by Volvo under warranty.

·
Registered
2018 T3 R Design manual
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2 months later, and the clutch is still annoying the **** out of me. Aaargh (stress)

·
Registered
685 Posts
It's the design of the car, they are mapped to do this.

Easy to recreate, accelerate in 1st gear up the limit, drop the clutch and leave the accelerator, the revs will drop to where the next gear is expected to match the road speed, just for about half a second, then the revs will continue to drop to tick over. Works in all the gears, but easier to recreate in 1st or second.

It is basically to limit clutch wear and slip changing up the gears. Quite a clever system when you think about it

It took me over 6 months to get used to it as I always went from 2nd to 4th in my previous car.

I now just go up the gears in order and it's fine.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Sorry I didn't see this sooner @chiptivo just explained it. If you have a R-Design with the all digital dash you will see the 'needle' of the rev counter briefly changes colour to orange at the same time

·
Registered
2017 T2 R-Design
35 Posts
If you have a R-Design with the all digital dash you will see the 'needle' of the rev counter briefly changes colour to orange at the same time
I never knew this. But I too felt a very slight hesitation after changing gears, before the engine starts pulling. Feels like a pause, like there is a delay in the engine registering the acceleration request from the pedal. I like to think as if Larry needs a deep breath of air before chugging along.

Yes, I named my car Larry.

·
Registered
2017 T2 R-Design
35 Posts
Sorry I didn't see this sooner @chiptivo just explained it. If you have a R-Design with the all digital dash you will see the 'needle' of the rev counter briefly changes colour to orange at the same time
Nope.
Tried it and no needle colour change.
Needle is orange anyways in Performance mode, and in the other two themes doesn't change colour at all.

·
Registered
437 Posts

Yellow, and then with orange glow

·
Registered
2017 T2 R-Design
35 Posts
Oooh, I must have missed it, or it flashed too fast. I'll try it again. But I don't get the idea behind it. Why even change colour if not long enough to register and to something so similar to the base colouring?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts