Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Took delivery of my new D2 SE today and I love it. Had a V60 before and think the V40 is a much nicer car.

One of the main features I like the V40 is for the TFT dash and the bundled illuminated gear knob, a gimmick of course but one both me and my daughter was excited about. However, we are disappointed because it doesn't seem to be working!

I've read the other post about intermittent problems with the light not working but I wanted to double check that I have not got my facts wrong before going back to the dealer. Am I right in thinking that a D2 SE, with TFT should have the illuminated gear knob as standard? Or has it now been discontinued?

I can live without it but if it's supposed to work I want it sorted.

Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I thought the my14 models don't have it anymore and it is illuminated by the LED shining down from the rear view mirror?

·
Registered
78 Posts
we must be different down under b/c ours is R Design and no illuminated gear knob.. maybe should drive at night to check lol.

·
Registered
273 Posts
My R-design has the illuminated gear lever (just doesn't sound the same after an office lass commented that she loved my knob illuminating in the tunnel!) and I'd hate for it to be "standard"...that said, Volvo if you are watching, please can you redesign the lever position so that when I'm in 6th gear, the lever is in a more "upright" position so I get the full effect. My passengers in the back lover it but for me some of the effect is a little lost! Just saying...

·
Registered
61 Posts
My V40 - January 2014 build does not have the illuminated gear knob. Volvo discontinued this feature in late MY14 models - feedback was that it resembled a fisher price toy -:)

·
Registered
153 Posts
What I don't really get is: it's illuminated but it doesn't show the current selection?

One can say you can always glance up at the console, but isn't the point of being illuminated is to show some useful info? :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
What I don't really get is: it's illuminated but it doesn't show the current selection?

One can say you can always glance up at the console, but isn't the point of being illuminated is to show some useful info? :)
Are we talking auto or manual here? I'm sure my auto knob (haha) shows current mode (R/P/N/D) with a little green light.

Will check when I drive home later. Will be really confused if I've made it up!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Are we talking auto or manual here? I'm sure my auto knob (haha) shows current mode (R/P/N/D) with a little green light.

Will check when I drive home later. Will be really confused if I've made it up!
Auto... aka Speedshift. :) Please check but hopefully don't tell me I've been short-changed all this while, haha.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yep, my auto definitely shows me what mode I'm in - indicated by a green LED. (Illuminated knob).

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yep, my auto definitely shows me what mode I'm in - indicated by a green LED. (Illuminated knob).
Eeks. As in a LED at the top of the knob, which physically moves inside to show the gear selection: P/R/N/D?

Do you mind posting a pic here to show what I've missed out? :(

·
Registered
175 Posts
You want a picture of my knob?

No problem, will do it on my way home from work later. Maybe it's a difference between Speedshift and Geartronic?

·
Registered
153 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts