Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
T2 R Design
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I am looking to add an aftermarket gear knob to my manual car. The trouble is I have not a clue how to remove the original one! Also I don't even know if aftermarket ones will fit? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Actually it's really really simple, it only looks hard. Have no photos and the instructions I used online are gone.. but I will try to explain it. You remove the metal border around the gaiter by inserting a plastic pry tool under it, you should start at the front. Then you pull up the whole leather gaiter thing until you can see a spring a rubber washer and a metal clip... You need to remove the metal clip and push the whole spring and rubber washer thingy down a notch and put the metal clip back. After that you eather have a round plastic thing that needs rotating, looks like a bottle cap, or another black plastic pieace that needs to be pulled down, at this point the top of the gaiter should be free from the gear knob, you pull it slightly down. Next step is interesting... you grab the gear knob and pull it upwards, depending on the age of it it might take a great amount of force. Boom you are done, do the steps in reverse to install the new one. Looks complicated but once you do it it's really easy. Maybe some one here who has better google skills or access to VIDE can send you the instruction pictures. (side note, if your shifter is illuminated you will have to disconnect a small cable before you pull it up)

·
Registered
T2 R Design
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replys! I don't have a pry tool, what could I use instead? Also do aftermarket gear knobs fit? Seems like it's not a simple screw on/screw off like most are...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for replys! I don't have a pry tool, what could I use instead? Also do aftermarket gear knobs fit? Seems like it's not a simple screw on/screw off like most are...
an old credit card, this one is not the screw on type, it has two small plastic clips, I personally have not found aftermarket ones, so I got another original... mine had ripped leather.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hera are the instructions for auto:
2 weeks ago I changed my gear knob for the Polestar and I can confirm this is the correct method (I have a T5 R design MY2017)... However, in this instruction manual at step 24 when you detach the panel you will notice the gear knob has the wiring outside of the box (the one you uninstall in the next steps) as opposed to inside like it looks on the manual, so at step 24 you can see easily the connector detailed at step 41, this makes it quite easier and you can basically skip from 24 to 33. It´s really is with the correct steps. Be careful when inserting the new knob and make sure everything clicks as you can accidentally install it in such a way that the stop that prevents you from chaning gears doesnt work anymore so at high speed you can accidentally change from D to N or worse, R. Just test it and make sure it works like before and if you notice something is off, push it deeper. :) Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
2 weeks ago I changed my gear knob for the Polestar and I can confirm this is the correct method (I have a T5 R design MY2017)... However, in this instruction manual at step 24 when you detach the panel you will notice the gear knob has the wiring outside of the box (the one you uninstall in the next steps) as opposed to inside like it looks on the manual, so at step 24 you can see easily the connector detailed at step 41, this makes it quite easier and you can basically skip from 24 to 33. It´s really is with the correct steps. Be careful when inserting the new knob and make sure everything clicks as you can accidentally install it in such a way that the stop that prevents you from chaning gears doesnt work anymore so at high speed you can accidentally change from D to N or worse, R. Just test it and make sure it works like before and if you notice something is off, push it deeper. :) Good luck!
thought you might appreciate the pics :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello all! I am looking to add an aftermarket gear knob to my manual car. The trouble is I have not a clue how to remove the original one! Also I don't even know if aftermarket ones will fit? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for your time!
Why Change?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts