Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to wait until next week for a loaner car unfortunately but my list is thus:

Rattle from driver’s door shut/ b-pillar.
Rattle from behind the dash (sounds a bit like a hard drive but louder and intermittent).
Rattle from rear passenger door.
Rattle from somewhere in the boot area when the body is under torsional load.
Bluetooth issues.
Keyless locking/unlocking issues.
Front suspension pop going over bumps at low speed.
Excessive wind noise from door seals.

Add to that the alarming cracking and scraping noise I experienced when throwing a last minute left hander the other day and I think they’ve got their work cut out!

They reckon it’ll take only a day to sort it out…

·
Registered
591 Posts
Wow, long list - not good !

I hope yours in the exception and not the rule

Reactions: AKD47

·
Registered
945 Posts
To be fare to my dealer they actually sorted my rattles Farley well (took them a couple of attempts each time but rattles are a pain to pinpoint etc.

Most other issues have also been resolved with a bit of effort

Pity a few other issues continue to bug me and the dealer can't help as Volvo say there is no issue:

Mismatched bumpers,
Smearing wipers (just about to buy my 5th set in 18 months)
Pinstripe on leather warn on drivers seat

...not that I like to go on about it all ;0) and the car does drive well otherwise

·
Registered
591 Posts
Glad you got sorted.

Plastics are always a poor match sadly on any marque

Have you tried changing your screen wash additive (autogylm)? And cleaning your wiper blades with neat washing up liquid from time to time.

Obvious question but don't suppose you park under trees anywhere?

Reactions: denn1s

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've got rattling doors too - will get them to sort it when it goes in for it's first service.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've got that intermittent rattle behind the dash as well and i think you have described it well. I will use that description when i get round to taking it in. Have they identified yours, Mr Fro?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Glad you got sorted.

Plastics are always a poor match sadly on any marque

Have you tried changing your screen wash additive (autogylm)? And cleaning your wiper blades with neat washing up liquid from time to time.

Obvious question but don't suppose you park under trees anywhere?
Thanks for the feed back but I run over 30 vehicles and never had a mismatch like this (might as well be a vw red) there is no reason why the plastics won't match if they are painted correctly.

Re the screan, yes I have tried all sorts to try and solve it, the dealer has also tried by swapping the arm (which has helped a bit, the blades now take 6 months before they smear) Volvo have accepted there is an issue effecting some cars but have no fix:thumbdown: (so the dealer tells me)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I take it turning the radio up didn't fix it?
Funnily enough, turning up the radio made the door card rattle until I wedged a bit of folded up paper between it and the door! Thanks for reminding me of that, I'll add it to the list...

In my V40 (I don't know about anyone else’s), there is a hard drive type noise from behind the dash when I switch on the ignition (I have nav) but it's fairly quiet and doesn't last long. I can't imagine it would miraculously amplify when driving but that's exactly what it sounds like and from the same general location. I think I might try turning the nav on and off while driving about and see what happens.

I wonder what I’m going to get as a loner, I hope it’s an estate or 4x4 as I’ve got some stuff I need to shift. J

In all seriousness though, I am getting fairly cheesed off with this bloody car – it’s only got 13k on the clock and has more rattles and clonks than the mrs Lotus!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I feel your frustration, I think if I was in your shoes I'd want to get out of ownership of that car as soon as possible.

If they sorted the rattles and clunks would you be happy?
Good question! I would be happy-ish but the car is hardly living up to my expectations with regard to build quality, especially given the price tag!

Oh, and for anyone else with the dash noise, I think I tracked mine down to the big plastic blob behind the mirror. Stick your ear next to it next time you get the noise and see if it's the same. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So for a semi update...

I took it in yesterday and got a yummy little D2 powershit in return. :-s

I went out for a test drive with the service manager and demonstrated all the various sounds to him then clearly told him my expectations.

Apparently the pop on the suspension is normal - he reckons it's the bump stop topping out... (cough, cough, bullshit, cough, cough).

There is a replacement part they will fit for the door rattle but the door card resonance is again "normal" and there is no fix as the clips are non-adjustable. This of course is blindingly obvious and he looked a little shocked when I suggested the card just be shimmed a little to damp the vibrations.

I was a bit concerned that he didn't grasp the concept of torsional load too...

·
Registered
945 Posts
Rubbish re the door card, mine got fixed on the 2nd or 3rd attempt, it was the loom that needed re routing and some sound deadner (foam) rap pining around it also some sticky foam was stock to the door to shim the door card taught (as you suggest)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now for the proper update.

Apparently, there was a TI (I presume technical information) that says there is an issue with the rear door locks on some of these cars, hence the failure to unlock/lock so these were both replaced.

The wind noise was traced to the wing mirrors so some work was done on them although I didn’t bother asking what it was…

The driver B-pillar rattle was the locking mechanism as I predicted which was realigned (bit worrying that they dropped in such a short space of time/mileage).

The door card resonance was bodged a bit with some sort of fluffy tape. This semi worked but really just moved the resonance frequency so I still have to wedge a bit of paper in there to damp it – again, I’m disappointed that there is now a few mm gap at the bottom of the door card – I’m tempted to whip it off and do it myself.

The suspension pop still occurs – they did a back to back test with the T5 and heard a similar noise and gave it a good look but found no fault. I’m not really satisfied with this outcome as a couple of decades working on all manner of vehicles tells me it’s an engine/gearbox mounting, especially seeing as a similar noise occurs when changing gear in an “enthusiastic” manner. J I agreed with the service manager that I’ll monitor the situation and nip it back to them if it worsens – I still have 18 months on the warrantee after all…

·
Registered
591 Posts
Annoying you came away with some issues still but they have at least hit quite a lot (hopefully successfully).

I'm with you on the door card issue about doing it yourself. Mine came with a ding in the rear quarter but I'm stripping it out myself ready for my own dent removing bloke (best in the uk) as I wouldn't let dealer use their own 2p monkey.

Although dealer is kindly (and correctly) footing the bill.

The other thing have found during this weeks wash was a slight graze to the underside of the front splitter (paint off in 2 places) and rough edges to the drop rubbers, as through it's gone down a cheese grater on way off transporter... Has anyone else run their fingers under the splitter and found this as I can only think they all came off the same transport process (R-Des BTW)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Agree Dennis, wish I had the time gggrrrrrr

Dealer ended up doing a 60 min PDI as they 'forgot' after having it for a week.

So when I turned up for it I waited 40 mins then had to shoot off (they lent me a car) and collect son from school to pick it up on the way back for my daughter from college, so it was a very rushed affair, so I wasn't too late for her.

Was a complete nightmare, also in the rain (hence I missed the ding in the rear quarter - fingers crossed for tomorrow).

I felt it last weekend when I washed it for the first time but thought it was embossed lettering (like a part number or a label) under lip (just by the points), then feeling the ragged rubber this week for wash #2 I got on my back for a look :dodgy:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.