Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a 2017 D2 Auto with 205 55 R16 wheels.

For my next set of summer tyres I am considering a larger size 205 60 R16, keeping my original rims. For 2 main reasons:
1) lower RPM at highways speeds
2) more comfort on poor quality roads

I have 2 questions to you:
-has anyone done this and/or do you recommend this upsizing?
-can I do the change without adjusting the car settings? I can live with difference on speedometer but also read somewhere that it can potentially mess up ABS/ESP and overall brake performance.

I have checked online and this would be a 3.2% increase in diameter (where it's recommended to stay within 3%). I have also seen this size of wheels as standard fit on some V40 CC models.

Thanks for your advice/tips!

·
Registered
437 Posts
There is another post from about 2 weeks ago about changing wheel sizes, that might be worth a read.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Not sure..but I always thought 205/55 R16s were already really comfortable...I have these on my Momentum Nav+. I can only advise you perhaps get different set of 'softer' tyres? What tyres are you currently using and at what PSI?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure..but I always thought 205/55 R16s were already really comfortable...I have these on my Momentum Nav+. I can only advise you perhaps get different set of 'softer' tyres? What tyres are you currently using and at what PSI?
You are right that they are not sporty or uncomfortable. I currently have the original Michelin Energy Savers. My aim is also to reduce the RPM on elevated highway cruising speeds (130KMH+).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Reducing RPM may actually increase your fuel consumption as you may not be in the engines sweet spot anymore for any gear. ABS will be incorrect as well. The car will also be slower off the mark, to maintain this, you will press open the accelerator increasing fuel consumption
This will apply for every gear. It will be like starting from rest with the hand brake applied all the time.
You need to reduce your rim size to 15 inches as well. The best choice here is 215/60/15 without affecting ABS
Also check your insurance will cover you for INCORRECT tyre size fitted

·
Registered
10 Posts
I went from 16" to 18"
205/55/16 to 225/40/18
I mailed Volvo car dealer in my city with this question.
If I needed to change anything, told him that I read certain things on these forums.
He told me nothing needs to be done since 225/40/18 is a size approved by Volvo on V40's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts