Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any possibility to upgrade my15 V40 halogen headlights that have reflectors to HID headlights with projectors? Do I have to customize my headlight or can I find spare parts hedalights with projectors?

·
Registered
591 Posts
It's my first car with them and I love the HID so can understand why...

But I would save the money towards your next as I cannot see it being a cost effective update.

They do all sorts of clever stuff and I would doubt logic is built into car if they not used, self leveling, turn into bends, auto high beam (questionable), and they do not need adjusting for LH or RH drive

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is there any possibility to upgrade my15 V40 halogen headlights that have reflectors to HID headlights with projectors? Do I have to customize my headlight or can I find spare parts hedalights with projectors?
You can do it pretty easily (depending on Greek legislation). I had retrofit HID installed on my last car (ford focus). The procedure is to buy yourself HID lenses such as these: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/. These are the best ones available. Than you buy some chinese HID kit with bulbs (4300k or 5000k, NOT higher) and find some proper electrician who will install it. Sawing part of your headlamps interior is necessary in order to install lenses.
IF your country legislation allows such retrofit instalation I say go for it! It's one of best investments I made in my former car. But if you decide to do it I advise you to buy proper (expensive) lenses, such as those I linked. They make all the diference, bulbs don't matter one bit..

Cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can do it pretty easily (depending on Greek legislation). I had retrofit HID installed on my last car (ford focus). The procedure is to buy yourself HID lenses such as these: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/. These are the best ones available. Than you buy some chinese HID kit with bulbs (4300k or 5000k, NOT higher) and find some proper electrician who will install it. Sawing part of your headlamps interior is necessary in order to install lenses.
IF your country legislation allows such retrofit instalation I say go for it! It's one of best investments I made in my former car. But if you decide to do it I advise you to buy proper (expensive) lenses, such as those I linked. They make all the diference, bulbs don't matter one bit..

Cheers

I already saw the lenses of theretrofitsource and I see they're quality ones. My problem is that it needs to open my headlight and I don't know any technician that can do that. I don't want my headlights to be damaged. That's why I was looking for a solution of a ready v40 projector headlight. But I can't find anywhere on the net an aftermarket headlight for V40... :(

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just adding OEM HIDs will probably not be enough.

I don't know how the legislation is in Greece (since it is EU, its probably similar), but in Germany HIDs have to have auto leveling und high pressure light washers. If your car does not have those already, it is insanely expansive to retrofit it all. You will need a new front bumper, the headlight washing system and the whole system for the auto leveling (sensors on all four shocks etc.). I wanted to do it with an Audi A6 a few years back and it would have cost me around €3000 to do it the "legally correct" way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.