Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, apologies if this has been posted prior. I'm still waiting for my cross country (10 days to go), I noticed in the forums that no one has mentioned the somewhat unusual positioning of the handbrake on the passenger's side. For those in the UK I believe your V40s are configured that way. How do you find it? Is it a stretch to reach for it (for smaller sized drivers) and do you find cases where you accidentally touch the poor passenger's leg while reaching for the hand brake. Reckon I'll find out soon enough, but just curious on user feedback on this strange lever positioning. thank you

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I was concious of the hand brake location at first. But I have not thought about it for probably 23 months now. It's not in an uncomfortable location for me. Can't say I have experienced any issues with it to be honest. You will soon get used to it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've had mine 6 weeks and from about week 2 I hadn't thought about it. It is noticeable when you first get the car and does feel a bit strange, but as with all things, you get used to it and it becomes second nature. In fact, as someone said above, I think having it out of the way on the passenger side is in some ways better. As such, don't worry about it.

I'm sure Volvo had a lot of meetings on this - obviously there is a cost saving for them, but they would have done some sort of assessment on this and no doubt deemed it a non-issue - and I agree.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you all for sharing your user feedback , assuring to know its not a bugbear. Reason I asked was because during the test drive I kept hitting the Volvo sales person's thigh when trying to pull the lever. He was somewhat amused and I was a little embarrassed. My wife was watching the show from the back and laughing. But you're right; I'll get used to it. thanks guys

·
Registered
591 Posts
Handbrake is fine, I was told it was a safety feature to reduce damage to drived but obviously that being the case it moves the problem to the passenger - unless Off side impacts are statistically more likely ?

Think it's to allow for easy access to the cup holders etc - Honda was same

The USB plug position is a complete PITA though ! Near impossible to plug something in with CD's in there and angle is just so hard from drivers seat without be a Yoga Guru (which I aren't), a good mod would be to move or duplicate it at the front of the same void or in the cup holder

Reactions: Stueeee

·
Registered
191 Posts
Handbrake is fine, I was told it was a safety feature to reduce damage to drived but obviously that being the case it moves the problem to the passenger - unless Off side impacts are statistically more likely ?

Think it's to allow for easy access to the cup holders etc - Honda was same
A safety feature? That's an inventive explanation :)

Interestingly the handbrake is in the same position on LHD cars - I think it's just Volvo not wanting the spend the money on reconfiguring the handbrake position for RHD cars.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I've got used to it surprisingly quickly. The only time it's caught me out is when I've jumped straight into the V40 from our other car, which is much older and has the handbrake in the old-fashioned place of much further back in the middle.

I've found adapting to it much easier than some vans (particularly the ones where it's on the wrong side, between the seat and the door :dodgy:).

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I had a Focus Mk2 followed by a Mk3 before my V40, and the handbrake position was one of the things I instantly recognised from my Mk2 Focus.

The current V40 is based on a modified version of the Focus Mk2 C1 floorpan, which had the offset handbrake on RHD versions. The handbrake position is one of the things Ford redesigned on the replacement for the C1 platform ('Global C', used on the Focus Mk3) - it's now alongside the gearstick, next to the driver in both LHD and RHD versions.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Lovely, so doing close to 70 and then hitting the handbrake button...
Sure hope it is protected from unwanted engagement at speed, otherwise some funny driving behavior might happen...

Solution to bad position is simple though, start driving on the correct side of the road ;-)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Lovely, so doing close to 70 and then hitting the handbrake button...
Sure hope it is protected from unwanted engagement at speed, otherwise some funny driving behavior might happen...

Solution to bad position is simple though, start driving on the correct side of the road ;-)
No, the Focus mk3 I've been in- had a manual handbrake between the gear lever and the driver.
I just don't get why today's designers cannot place a manual handbrake in the traditional position?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.