Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hello,it's very loose when I lifting a handle up...
Hi,

Sorry I am not that technical to help you with this, probably some other guys from this forum know more.

I have found a couple of discussions and videos where some people suggested that with newer cars it is usually either a broken brake caliper or you need a new wire.

·
Registered
621 Posts
It should auto-adjust as the pads wear, so that's fault that needs investigating.

·
Registered
175 Posts
As per the pic, just open the cover, there will be a bolt, 6mm, drop the handbrake, and adjust to your liking.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hi, the pic above is exactly right.. i adjusted my handbrake on my 2013 v40 this afternoon.
the main issue is getting the plastic insert under the leather gaitor out without snapping it....
insert a flat bladed screw driver at the top & bottom (doesnt matter which first) and slowly prize upwards till it clicks
once both ends are released, just pull it up at the rear of the brake handle and the adjuster nut is there... 13mm.
turn clockwise a turn, then try your handbrake... continue till you think it is right.
remember, over adjusting will cause the brake pads to sit on the disc's... and generate heat... so be careful.
once adjusted correctly, replace the gaitor plastic in to the slots...
job done ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi, the pic above is exactly right.. i adjusted my handbrake on my 2013 v40 this afternoon.
the main issue is getting the plastic insert under the leather gaitor out without snapping it....
insert a flat bladed screw driver at the top & bottom (doesnt matter which first) and slowly prize upwards till it clicks
once both ends are released, just pull it up at the rear of the brake handle and the adjuster nut is there... 13mm.
turn clockwise a turn, then try your handbrake... continue till you think it is right.
remember, over adjusting will cause the brake pads to sit on the disc's... and generate heat... so be careful.
once adjusted correctly, replace the gaitor plastic in to the slots...
job done ;)
Thank you

1 - 9 of 9 Posts