Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been covered before but this last week has really highlighted the issue for me. I drove to work on two mornings in heavy mist and had absolutely no idea whether my headlights were on or not. I had to rely purely on technology which i found a little disconcerting. Surely a simple indicator on the dash (such as the main beam indicator) would not go amiss?
I also find that to see the little green light on the switch requires a surgical removal of my head and grafting same onto my knees. Trying to find the fog light switch and look for the green light nearly caused me a collision in the mist. I wonder if anyone from Volvo bothers to read these forums?
I have highlighted these issues in the zillion surveys i have been asked to complete and always leave my adress but still awaiting an acknowledgement.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I don't find the headlights on / off to be an issue personally. But I would take heed of the warning in the manual in respect of auto headlamps in fog / mist etc and simply knock the head lamp switch to the right putting them on manual to ensure the lights stay on in fog / mist etc.

Never found the fog lamp switch to be an issue, I find it easy enough to find. I think the location of these switches is not uncommon?

From memory I think the highway code stipulates use of fog lamps when visibility is less than 100m. A lot of folk use them when visibility is 1 mile ;) and in rain. I think I have used the fog lights on my car probably twice in almost 2 years. I rarely see visibility less than 100 metres. I won't use them in rain or mist. So in any event, its not something that is used at all regularly which means I worry about the location of the switch even less. :) Only my opinions though.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only my opinions though.
And I respect your opinions, Kev. However, my point was not to do with the work-arounds but rather with Volvo missing a trick and not showing the operation of the headlight on the dash where it can be seen - such as the auto wipers, cruise etc. Why put a warning light (info light) where it cannot be seen is beyond comprehension. It all seems a bit like an afterthought.

I fully agree with your interpretation regarding the use of the fog light. I also only use this when the visibility is very poor and also when there are no vehicles visible behind me. As soon as I can see a vehicle behind me I know they can see me so will switch it off. There is nothing more annoying than following a vehicle with a high-intensity fog light blinding you. We had a couple of very misty days here in the Lincolnshire countryside last week and I found the need to use the fog light.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Have gone through exactly the same thought process twice in the last few days.

Had no idea if they were on or not so put the switch over to be on the safe side.

I am sure EVERY other car I have had used some form of dash illumination to let you know the lights were on - it has the full beam but no other light status, would not be hard with an TFT screen you would think ?

Another vote here for it being an oversight

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do I remember correctly that with previous variants the green light comes on if headlights are on?
With my MY15, (auto headlights, halogen, DRLs) the green light is always on if the switch is in Auto position.

I find this very annoying too, but thought I had solved the problem by turning dashboard illumination down low: this way the display dims when headlights have come on.

However, just discovered that this only works when it is dark (i.e. night), because at dusk/dawn my headlights are on but the display is bright.
So seems that dashboard display and auto headlights are controlled by different sensors :mad:

I would switch them on and off myself, but the lack of any alarm means I've left the car with the lights still on a couple of times already.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's not an oversight, it's not 'missing a trick', etc . . . . it's an error on Volvo's part which they should address.

Yep, it's annoying. Either rely on the switch not getting knocked during cleaning or getting in/out of the car or learn to check every 5 minutes by sqaushing your face against the side window. Yep again, a very simple addition to the display. My issue with this is that my previous cars (not Volvo) with this feature have ALWAYS had auto turned off when returned from a service, repair, etc and it's been other road users flashing that has told me of my lack of lighting during my next night drive :-/ . First service is due so let's see if Volvo mechanics are smarter. Actually, I've noticed that I tend to tailgate to see a reassuring reflection in the car in front :dodgy:

·
Registered
96 Posts
The green light in the switch is ALWAYS illuminated on my 63 plate RDesign whether dipped main it day running lights are on.

My car us due in for service in a couple of thousand miles so will mention it to the Volvo chaps as a feature request/URGENT NECESSITY!

Reactions: jay_s and OldCroc

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did think of a solution but havent acted on it yet - during winter months to have lights on all the time anyway (in true Volvo fashion!).

Lights go off when the ignitions off dont they?? (Except if the parking lights are switched on.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree that there needs to be more visual feedback on whether the lights are on or not.

Why didn't volvo feel the need for a light icon on the dash is quite puzzling. Surely some basic real world road testing would have revealed how useful having such an icon would be.

Really hope they will come up with a software upgrade for the tft dash that adds this.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Totally agree with all comments about needing a symbol on the TFT. My concern is if you are involved in an accident and Plod asks if you had your DMB on you could not answer yes but only I don’t know they were set to auto?

Reactions: jay_s

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
To be honest, I have never experienced a lights issue in 2 years with my V40, so I would not be concerned about it. Read the hand book and consider the warnings about running auto in fog / mist / rain etc. In these conditions switch over to manual. Outside of those conditions, just make sure you are on auto? if someone else has used your car, just make sure you put the switch back where you want it. Simple. :) And yes I agree a nice green warning lamp would help, but its not such a big deal in my opinion.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have copied this thread to Volvo UK. I suggest that anyone who feels strongly about some developmental issue that Volvo could take on board to turn a nice car into a great car should do the same. They can be emailed at:
[email protected]

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yes that's brilliant cheers Croc

While they are at it they can turn the blooody airbag light off too after 60 secs above rear view mirror

·
Registered
945 Posts
And sort my smeary wipers (now on 5th set in 20,000 miles), bumpers that are the wrong colour and the seat piping where the top fake leather covering has warm through....

(Sorry Kev I couldn't resist ;0) )

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.