Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question.......

Can we select "sidelights" in our V40's?

It seems to me I can only select headlights (dipped beam). As the first setting is for parking lights only and goes back to drl's when driving.

I've always been used to driving with sidelights at dusk or in light rain rather than full on headlights (dipped beam)

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think it may depend on which year your car was made? On my last V40 I couldn't, but on my new one I can (2016MY). I believe that the Volvo accessories page used to list a 'lighting logic upgrade for this. Just give it a while and hopefully Buzby will comment on the full facts ;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it may depend on which year your car was made? On my last V40 I couldn't, but on my new one I can (2016MY). I believe that the Volvo accessories page used to list a 'lighting logic upgrade for this. Just give it a while and hopefully Buzby will comment on the full facts ;)
Thanks for your reply.
Mine is a MY13 so you may be correct that I can't select sidelights only.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
It's quite complicated, and depends on the exact spec of the car. For example, my MY13 R Design (LED DRLs, standard halogen headlights) only allows you to leave the light switch in the 'sidelight' setting when the car is stationary. Once you start driving (or if you put the switch in the 'sidelight' setting while driving) it throws up an alert telling to to switch to another setting.

The main thing is that the V40 was designed without conventional sidelights in the headlamps. The DRLs in the bumper take the place of the sidelights (they are on all the time when driving, only turning off when stationary or when the dipped/main beams are on), and the small bulbs in the headlights are only intended to be used as parking lights.

There appear to be at least 3 variants of the lighting logic (at least up to MY14.5) and which your car has seems to depend on what lighting it has fitted.

The first version appears to be the one described in the MY13 owners manual, which says the 'sidelights' setting is parking lights when stationary, switching automatically to DRLs when in motion. I think this logic may only be used on cars that were fitted with halogen DRLs.

The second version is used on cars with LED DRLs, and that is the 'sidelights' setting is for parking only, and the DRLs will be on at all times except whilst parked or when the dipped or main beams are on (either manually or automatically). This is how my car behaves. Cars with halogen DRLs can be upgraded to LED DRLs via a dealer-fit accessory kit, and part of that is a software download. I believe this changes the lighting logic from the 'halogen' version to the 'LED' version.

The third version is the 'lighting logic upgrade' mentioned by Brigstowe. This enables the tail lights and front and rear position lights to be on during the daytime as well as the DRLs (like how Scandinavian cars always used to be). The side effect of this seems to be that the LED above the 'AUTO' setting that usually tells you when the lights have come on ends up being permanently on. This is available as an optional accessory software download from dealers for MY13 (and MY 14 too I think) cars, but from feedback of some of the owners on here it seems this logic was also applied by default at the factory on some cars that had the Active Xenon headlights option fitted.

After MY14.5 it seems to have changed again, but I don't know enough about how those cars work to go into detail. One change was that dual brightness LED DRLs were introduced for cars that had Active Xenon headlights, so the DRLS would stay on with the headlights but at reduced brightness (and no, they can't be easily retrofitted to pre MY14.5 cars).

·
Registered
409 Posts
Our MY15 SE Lux (so LED DRLs and Xenon headlights) can be set on side lights so just the LED eyebrow lights are on at the front and the standard rear lights. However, with the ignition on stage two, including with the engine on and running the front DRLs come on as well. It doesn't appear to display any errors or warnings if you drive around like this.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that Buzby.
I think my car is your version 1?
It's a MY13 D2 SE and appears to be as you have described. It also throws up the alert message you mentioned if you drive off with the lighting still in this position.

So I assume my DRL's are halogens?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Our MY15 SE Lux (so LED DRLs and Xenon headlights) can be set on side lights so just the LED eyebrow lights are on at the front and the standard rear lights. However, with the ignition on stage two, including with the engine on and running the front DRLs come on as well. It doesn't appear to display any errors or warnings if you drive around like this.
That sounds like the 'lighting logic upgrade' version where the tail lights are on all the time. Is the LED above the 'AUTO; setting on all the time as well?

Thanks for that Buzby.
I think my car is your version 1?
It's a MY13 D2 SE and appears to be as you have described. It also throws up the alert message you mentioned if you drive off with the lighting still in this position.

So I assume my DRL's are halogens?
If you get the alert message then it;s the same as mine, which would be 'version 2'. For an SE I would expect the DRLs would be the LED versions (I think only the ES and base model Cross Countrys got the halogen DRLs). It should be obvious when you look at them when they are on as the LEDs are very bright white.and halogens will have a yellowish tint.

There are other complications to this for non-european markets of course - for example the Japanese market V40s don't have DRLs at all as they are illegal in Japan.

·
Registered
409 Posts
That sounds like the 'lighting logic upgrade' version where the tail lights are on all the time. Is the LED above the 'AUTO; setting on all the time as well?
Yes and yes. My understanding is that all MY15 cars (at least in the UK) had this from day one. I don't think MY14.5 had them (we bought used at about 6 months old and were right on the edge of my14/15 price wise).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just a quick question......

I've always been used to driving with sidelights at dusk or in light rain rather than full on headlights (dipped beam).

Well I suppose that this is one of the advantages of the increasing technology in cars, that the people who don't understand or don't accept the legal requirement to have headlights on in poor visibility are curtailed. Its fairly basic, if its gloomy enough for lights you need headlights.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I suppose that this is one of the advantages of the increasing technology in cars, that the people who don't understand or don't accept the legal requirement to have headlights on in poor visibility are curtailed. Its fairly basic, if its gloomy enough for lights you need headlights.
Thanks for the education!

·
Registered
542 Posts
I must admit - that in 25 years of driving I've never seen the point of sidelights... it's either dark or gloomy enough to put headlights on or it's not! I think a idelights just lead to people forgetting to put their headlights on in diminishing light... or black cabs who whizz around a night with only sidelights. I wonder if there's an urban taxi myth that this saves you some diesel...

Btw (in case you didn't know) you have to drive with headlights on during the day in Death Valley as it's so bright!

·
Registered
314 Posts
My 2015 My16 CC Lux just had its second service 36k miles and now if I pull away on sidelights I get a warning to select a different light setting ie put the lights on auto or on manually,but if I use the lights off position and pull away I don't get a warning seems very odd. I should add it was in a dark carpark and didn't want to dazzle others with the xenons so was just using the drl's which is what I have done for the last few years with various cars.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
My 2015 My16 CC Lux just had its second service 36k miles and now if I pull away on sidelights I get a warning to select a different light setting ie put the lights on auto or on manually,but if I use the lights off position and pull away I don't get a warning seems very odd. I should add it was in a dark carpark and didn't want to dazzle others with the xenons so was just using the drl's which is what I have done for the last few years with various cars.
You must have had a software update during the service (when it's hooked up to VIDA they just click 'Total Upgrade CAN' and it goes off to the server to check you have the latest versions of the software modules) which has changed the lighting logic to 'Version 2' in my earlier post. Do you have Halogen or Xenon headlights?

It's strange that if your car had LED DRL s from the factory it should have had the 'Version 2' lighting logic anyway (the R Design uses the same LED DRLs as the CC and even on my MY13 it had that lighting logic from the factory).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes, I've recently had the same experience on my SE Lux, MY16. Took it in for its first service, and the lighting has now changed, just like cars-couple. You not only get the message, like my previous V40, but the light intensity changes as well. Not happy.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Buzby the car has bending xenons with led drl's in the bumper when you start it with lights turned off the drl's are very bright and when you turn the lights on the drl's dim to half brightness as they should.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes, that's exactly the same as happens to mine - also with bending xenons and led drl's in the bumper.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Well I have to admit to now just leaving it to the car on auto lighting, and have done since the option became available on modern cars, long gone are the days of driving home on side lights only to keep some life in the battery, so the electric windscreen heater could work, ah memories!! >:)>:)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I must admit - that in 25 years of driving I've never seen the point of sidelights... it's either dark or gloomy enough to put headlights on or it's not! I think a idelights just lead to people forgetting to put their headlights on in diminishing light... or black cabs who whizz around a night with only sidelights. I wonder if there's an urban taxi myth that this saves you some diesel...

Btw (in case you didn't know) you have to drive with headlights on during the day in Death Valley as it's so bright!
In built up area you are only required to have sidelights on as they are there to be seen with, when on an unlit road you are required to have headlights on so you can see where you are going. I actually prefer sidelights only as then nobody is getting the glare from in front of you out makes driving at night allot easier if everyone was using sidelights only, especially for emergency drivers

Rule 113

You MUST

ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunriseuse headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specifieduse headlights when visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226).

Night (the hours of darkness) is defined as the period between half an hour after sunset and half an hour before sunrise.

Laws RVLR regs 3, 24 & 25 (In Scotland -. RTRA sect 82 (as amended by NRSWA, para 59 of sched 8))
Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
Had a play around last night and found the car lights now behave differently, with the engine running and lighs off it has bright drl's only no rear lights. In sidelight mode it has just the eyebrow led sidelights and rear lights are on but if I pull away the drl's turn on by themselves and I get the message to turn lights on appear on the dash, previously as soon as I started the car the drl's would have turned on.. Lights in auto there has been no change.

·
Registered
159 Posts
cas-couple, this is exactly the same as my car since it's had its first service. (MY16) It was fine previously, but I guess they updated the software during the service, and that changed the lighting logic at the same time. I must admit that I've never used the Auto light setting, so can't comment on that aspect.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts