Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Following a long drive in the rain Thursday, I was curious on how misted up the headlights had gotten. If the attached picture has come through, even after parking the car with the headlights left on for another 10 minutes, it struck me on how the misted effect would interrupt the headlight. Is this a common problem on plastic headlight covers, not a problem, I just can't work out if it's normal? Thoughts? Darren

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
630 Posts
According to Ford, it's normal. This is what the Focus Owners Manual says. Note that is says that clearing time may be as long as 48 hours.

"Condensation in Lamp Assemblies.
Exterior lamps have vents to
accommodate normal changes in air
pressure.
Condensation can be a natural by-product
of this design. When moist air enters the
lamp assembly through the vents, there is
a possibility that condensation can occur
when the temperature is cold. When
normal condensation occurs, a fine mist
can form on the interior of the lens. The
fine mist eventually clears and exits
through the vents during normal operation.
Clearing time may take as long as 48 hours
under dry weather conditions.
Examples of acceptable condensation are:

The presence of a fine mist (no streaks,
drip marks or large droplets).
A fine mist covers less than 50% of the
lens.
Examples of unacceptable condensation

are:

A water puddle inside the lamp.
Streaks, drip marks or large droplets
present on the interior of the lens."

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for that...ironically my last car was a 2006 Ford Focus and never noticed it on that! Given the (likely) heat from the bi-xenon headlights, I guess the need for vents is more paramount and thus, the side effect from that! Darren

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Wow, did not know this. Our rain season starts in 2 weeks, hopefully mine won't do this.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@voodooBOB will be interesting to note what yours do given the relatively (I assume) higher humidity. The picture I took was with the car sat idling for 5 or so minutes and the headlights on...the misting effect had crept a lot higher. I must admit that it was an unusually warm, if not wet day, so perhaps some merit to the physics of it all. I'll certainly be checking it through the winter. Cheers Darren

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
@DarrenCC Humidity up hear in JHB is very low, but will keep an eye out when it starts raining

1 - 7 of 7 Posts