Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I’ve just purchased a used V40 and I’m very pleased with it apart from my confusion with the headlights. At this time of year I don’t really need them but I have a few questions. The lights seem to be on all the time which I think is right, but I don’t seem to be able to activate the main been no matter what position the switch is in, I assumed by pulling the stick on the right that would activate them. I’ve only done this whole parked up maybe that’s the problem? Advice please. I have a V40 D2 1.6 Diesel

·
Registered
65 Posts
Welcome to the forum
The preferred option for head lights is to set them to auto and forget about them. The main beam lights will only stay on once daylight levels drop to a certain point, though you will always be able to flash your headlights at any time day or night.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum
The preferred option for head lights is to set them to auto and forget about them. The main beam lights will only stay on once daylight levels drop to a certain point, though you will always be able to flash your headlights at any time day or night.
Hope this helps
Thanks pal looks like a problem with the switch as the little green light just above it doesn’t light up either was hoping it was just a fuse but looks more serious than that.👎🏻

·
Registered
398 Posts
Well on 'Auto' setting (green light on top) in theory it should only come on (in the day) if you go into a tunnel / underground carpark. At night, it should come on automatically once you start the engine or long press the start button without starting the engine. Do the lights go off when you put it to 0? and on side lights they come on dimmed, but once you start moving it goes full brightness? As you didn't mention which year your V40 is from, I can only assume you have the 'Thor Hammer' headlights?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well on 'Auto' setting (green light on top) in theory it should only come on (in the day) if you go into a tunnel / underground carpark. At night, it should come on automatically once you start the engine or long press the start button without starting the engine. Do the lights go off when you put it to 0? and on side lights they come on dimmed, but once you start moving it goes full brightness? As you didn't mention which year your V40 is from, I can only assume you have the 'Thor Hammer' headlights?
2013 plate V40. The lights don’t go off on 0 I think it’s just the day lights that are on all the time. I can’t even flash the main beam on, there’s also a “light bulb malfunction” on the display

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ahh, the bulbs (assuming xenon) may have reached the end of their lives. Do they look round and in a projector glass lens. They output whitish blue colour lights. If they are purple definitely time to change them. Yes those light that are always on are the DRLs and I cannot turn them off. Flashing xenon light, it doesn't really come on and take 5-6 secs for full brightness.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi everyone I’ve just purchased a used V40 and I’m very pleased with it apart from my confusion with the headlights. At this time of year I don’t really need them but I have a few questions. The lights seem to be on all the time which I think is right, but I don’t seem to be able to activate the main been no matter what position the switch is in, I assumed by pulling the stick on the right that would activate them. I’ve only done this whole parked up maybe that’s the problem? Advice please. I have a V40 D2 1.6 Diesel
If you're on Facebook join @volvo v40 crew

It's an extremely active group with many members that work for volvo so maybe to assist you.

So even when turning the knob for the lights it won't come on?
When you say lights are on all the time is that the main bean lights or your side lights?

Your bulbs may have blown and just need replacing which is very easy and straightforward.
There is a guide in your manual to doing this.
Pop bonnet open and take a couple of pegs out and remove the connector.
You can take the whole entire unit out to change the bulb
Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks pal but it was the switch itself as power was getting to it but neither the little green or red lights on it didn’t light up also I couldn’t pop the boot from the button on the same switch. Cheers 👍

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks pal but it was the switch itself as power was getting to it but neither the little green or red lights on it didn’t light up also I couldn’t pop the boot from the button on the same switch. Cheers
Glad you found the issue.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts