Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Firstly, is the windscreen an Interior or Exterior thread??? I think these should be combined - it is not as if either forum is well used anyway. As I do not know which it is I will post my query here and perhaps the moderators will move it to the relevant place.

I have a heated windscreen and have noted that the element within the glass can be very visible at times and sometimes when driving into the sun or oncoming lights can obscure vision. Does anyone else find this? I have tried to capture what I am talking about on a photo which is not easy as when you are driving the situation changes too quickly. The bottom right-hand section of the photo shows what I see.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have a heated windscreen and have noted that the element within the glass can be very visible at times and sometimes when driving into the sun or oncoming lights can obscure vision. Does anyone else find this?
If it's similar to the current Mk III Ford Focus, then I have the same problem. In the Mk I Focus version of the electrically heated windscreen the element consisted of vertical wires (rather than the current overall mat of wires) which were very much less visible. Sometimes design changes aren't always totally beneficial to the driver. I much preferred the earlier configuration of the element, but I would rather have the rapid demisting and defrosting ability of the latest design than not have an electrically heated windscreen at all.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I can't say that I've noticed this on mine but I can state that the defrosting works wonderfully! In only a few seconds the screen is clear.

Brilliant and safe!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, I find the same issue as the OP. Particularly with bright headlamps. Not a show stopper, but still slightly annoying. I would prefer to have the clearer vision as I find the blower has always been fine at clearing the windscreen, but there as no option not to have the heated window. If I crack the screen at some point I will investigate having an unseated window.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And we have had a fair amount of low sun this year! It seems like a serious compromise for a manufacturer that is all about safety.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I got a go in mine today and the wires inside the screan look just the same as in the mk2 focus, just tiny/thin wobbly lines no mesh effect and not noticed any issue, mine is a my13, will check the my14 I have on fleet after the bank holiday

The issue I have with he screen is the big smear left behind bay the drivers side wiper (rhd) right through the middle of the sweep.

The dealer fitted a 2nd set of wipers tat seemed to help a bit but it soon came back

I have gtechniq on now so don't have to use the wipers so much which helps

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh I just love optimism. ;)

To be fair to Volvo I understand that the v40 is actually amongst the safest cars in Europe.
Kev it may be the safest car to be in when you crash. My point is that Volvo have provided a screen that can, in certain circumstances, compromise safety by reducing vision. This is clearly noticeable in the photo I have posted. I could list a number of other little things with this car that actually detract from your concentration when driving and I will make these observations to Volvo in the hopes that in future models they may do small things that will actually PREVENT accidents rather than just make it safer when you have an accident.
OldCroc

·
Registered
945 Posts
Firstly re volvo doing things to prevent accident, the best thing to do this is learn to drive and concentrate on the job in hand and do not rely on safety devices, I purposefully ordered mine with as few driver aids as possible.

As above the v40 screen is no worse than any other car i have seen with heated screen, they have been around for over 20 years now and I have never heard of anyone having a crash because of them.

My advice is look through the screen not at it and you will not notice it

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'll second what denn1s has mentioned. I had two Fords with heated screens before my V40 and find the V40 windscreen wires much less intrusive. Either way, you need to simply ignore the wires and you'll soon forget they are there. Unless you drive around with a spotless windscreen (inside & out) there are usually bigger distractions to deal with!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My advice is look through the screen not at it and you will not notice it
As a motorcyclist I know exactly what you mean. However, when your visor gets too mucked up and distracting you can clean it. You cannot clean off the distractions on the heated screen! But I have only had this car for 2500 miles so I am sure I will get used to it.

I also agree that relying on safety devices reduces your driving or riding skills but can honestly say that traction control and ABS has saved my bacon on my bike more than once!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I noticed the wires in the windscreen some two weeks after I got the car - obviously I knew i had them, but I was too overwhelmed with everything else to notice them ?.

This also goes to say they were definitely not a distraction for me. Agree with other posters it's only a matter of getting used to having them and focusing on the road.

---------------------
Volvo V40 D2 Momentum, Ice White, Premium Sound, BLIS+LKA+RSI, TFT Display, Heated Windscreen, Rear Park Assist, Active High Beam, Power Child Lock

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.