Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a bit of advice regarding the heater blower on my 2016 V40.

I've only recently noticed, (but it may have been like this since new?), that no matter which vents I position the air flow output to, (screen, dash or footwells), there's always cool air blowing in and around the passenger side footwell.

If I set the temp to warm it's a mixture of cool & warm air flowing into the passenger footwell and just warm to all the other vents.
I've played around with the settings to select both sides of the car or independent sides, but it just stays the same on the passenger side.

I can get warm airflow to the footwell, but it just always seems to have this cool airflow as well going to the passenger footwell, no matter what I set the system on?

Also if I select the demist mode the airflow directs up to the screen on max flow, nothing comes from all the other vents, which is correct but there's still this cooler air flowing to the passenger footwell ?

All a bit confusing but any advice appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
582 Posts
Bodged replacement of the cabin air filter? The cover to access the filter is in the NS footwell, and it's a bit of a pain getting the filter in and out. If someone was having trouble getting it in properly, they might have left off the cover?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll give that a check.
I've just had a play around with all the settings and noticed that if I turn on recirculation the issue then stops, but as soon as I turn it off again I can feel this cool air blowing around the footwell.
I can direct the normal airflow to any of the outlet vents but you can still feel this cooler air coming from somewhere in that footwell.
It seems to be permanently blowing into that footwell no matter where the flow is directed to, but stops when recirculation is turned on ?

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm not sure whether recirculated air goes through the cabin filter (again). But if it does, it will be at interior temperature, whereas with recirc off external air will be coming through, which at present will probably be colder? Still suggests an issue with the cabin filter or connected ducting to me.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I recall (might even have mentioned it here a while ago) an odd whistling noise from the glovebox area on my V40 a long while ago. (Some people have noises that are fixed by improved insulation on aircon pipework, it wasn't that) I also had the occasional complaints from front seat passengers about draughts round their feet.
Turned out, as reported by the dealer when I reported this at annual service, that the cabin filter covers hadn't been reattached correctly. I reminded them that the ONLY people ever to go there were the servicing dealer, which had always been them.......

Reactions: RS3100

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,
I'll look at the cabin filter in the morning.
I've only picked up on this because a few days ago I needed to use the screen demist function which as you know runs the fans at full speed and directs the airflow up towards the screen, so after turning it on I noticed the noise level seemed to increase down in the passenger footwell, so after leaning over to take a look it was then that I could feel the cool air flow running around the footwell, which I thought was odd as the screen demist function should flow all the air up to the screen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

Sorry for using this topic, but didn’t want to open a new one for the similar problem. I have a problem that the air blows only on windshield, no matter on which position I set air blowing (front or foot). Heating and AC are working perfectly fine, but the air goes only on the windshield. I have a Volvo v40 2018 D2 and someone told me that this could be probably because I have wrong battery in it (without start/stop system). When I bought car I didn’t realized that dealer sold me a car with the wrong battery in it, but everything is working perfectly fine except air blowing. I bought this car in May this year, if that information could be relevant somehow. What do you think, could this air blowing be a problem because of battery or do you think this can be caused by something else?

Also, I would like to take the opportunity to ask you how much oil does your car take? Today I got the message to refill 0,5L of oil, and the oil and filters are changed immediately after I bought this car in May this year. Until now I took somewhere between 6-7000km. Is it normal to ask me after this amount of driven kilometers to refill the oil?

Thanks a lot in advance guys!

·
Registered
2017 R Design D2
815 Posts
Is it normal to ask me after this amount of driven kilometers to refill the oil?
Most manufacturers wont investigate high oil consumption unless the engine consumes more than a litre per 1600 km, so I'd say 1/2 in 7k isnt too bad. Obviously for peace of mind, visually check for leaks, and look at the exhaust tips for any sign of oil burning... hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most manufacturers wont investigate high oil consumption unless the engine consumes more than a litre per 1600 km, so I'd say 1/2 in 7k isnt too bad. Obviously for peace of mind, visually check for leaks, and look at the exhaust tips for any sign of oil burning... hope this helps
Thanks a lot. I have checked and everything is ok. I added 450mL and the oil status is on MAX now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts