Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My wife and I are looking to order a new R-Design D2 in the next few weeks (UK).

We've got a reasonable list of option packs - if we're going to buy a new car (our second, the previous one was an Astra which we still have, just hit 196k this morning after 10.5 years of driving) then it'll have the bits we will benefit from.

The dealer has offered a supposedly 'standard' 7.5% off the list price, including the options, and suggested they would throw in the 3 year service pack (normally £300) FOC as well. He tells us this is a good deal, since the service prices over the first 3 years will be significantly higher than the pack price.

We're looking at:

* Winter Pack (heated seats and windscreen to keep my wife happy!)
* Sports Pack (to keep me happy and the rear tints will benefit the kids in the back)
* Rebel Blue (has to be, it is stunning!)
* Cruise Control (not 100% on this, I don't reckon we'll use it much)
* Rear Park Assist
* Power Drivers Seat (my wife is 5' 1", I'm 6' 2" - we never get the seat right when the other has been driving before us!)

Does the discount and service pack offer seem about right?

We've looked at the A3 and the Mercedes A-Class AMG Sport, in all honesty we felt neither were a match for the V40 R-Design for us, the V40 just fitted us much better and is truly a stunning car to be in and to look at!

Chris

·
Registered
718 Posts
It sounds a good deal, but then I don't know how sales are going, and whether you could get a better deal. I have the £300 3year service pack as I was paying about that every year on my previous car (Volvo V50)
As far as the options:
I'm not convinced the Sports Pack is much of a benefit, but others may differ. The standard V40 is quite taught as standard.
Having had cruise control on my previous Volvo, it is a must in my view. It is an asset on long journeys, as you don't have to keep your foot on the throttle pedal. It does require a slightly different mode of driving, as so many people vary their speed continually. It also helps with fuel economy.
Power drivers seat. I didn't bother this time. It was a nice luxury on the V50 but it didn't get used much, as my wife has her own car. If the V40 is your only car, and both of you will be driving it then it will be an advantage, especially if you have your own key.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The salesman showed us a print out from Volvo which is said to come each month, detailing what offers are available on each model. Other models had deposit contributions listed etc. but the V40 had only a 2 years 0% finance deal and the 7.5% dealer discount available.

This will primarily be my wife's car, however I will be using it for work once a week to give the DPF a good run out, and also weekends it gets driven by either of us. The height difference is the main reason why the powered seat is on the list, it will get used :)

Does the seat memory tie in to each key, so when you put the key in the seats/mirrors move to the position for that key? If so that's a nice touch!

We wondered on just tints and not the Sports Pack, but for now we're sticking with the full option - with the 17" alloys, the reviews mainly state the pack I a good match with this wheels,, only the 18's seem to suffer due to the lower profile tyres.

The reason I query Cruise Control is because the car rarely gets massively long motorway drives. My work run is an A-road with frequent speed changes as wagons etc. slow the traffic down. CC isn't a hugely expensive option and if nothing else we felt it may help with a future re-sale.

Still trying to persuade my wife that Rebel Blue is the colour to go for though, she thinks it may be a bit 'in your face' :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi nry and congrats on the order. I have the rebel blue and must say its fantastic. It looks really good. I never chose the sports pack because I don't see the need to lower the suspension. I did go for the tinted windows though and they look great against the paint colour and are fairly dark so the interior is well hidden from from passing glances. With regards to the keys and seat, yes you can set each key to suit your own spec. Really easy, set all your settings (seat/ext mirrors) with the ignition on and then turn your car off and lock it with your key (whilst you are still in the car) unlock again and 'hey presto'. Simply repeat with your other key and settings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
V40 D3 R-Design Lux. Rebel Blue, Auto Dim Mirror, Memory seats/mirrors, Lux winter pack, DAB radio, Rear Camera, Privacy Glass, Floor divider.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good stuff on the keys :)

I have to say, I am curious if the dash will be damaged by any keyrings hanging off the key, I'm also not keen on dangly things in the car, don't think it's worth the £600 to go keyless though!

We've not ordered yet, should be the next few weeks with luck, we'd love the car to be here for our holidays in August but we might just miss out there...

·
Registered
718 Posts
Dangling keys are not a problem. The slot for the key is only that, there is no need to put the key in it. I keep mine in my pocket.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That will make my wife rather happy, she can leave the key in her handbag! This car keeps getting better :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
As long as she can find it to unlock and lock the car :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol, there is that, but the hand bag goes everywhere so the key should be easy to find :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
nry said:
Good stuff on the keys :)

I have to say, I am curious if the dash will be damaged by any keyrings hanging off the key, I'm also not keen on dangly things in the car, don't think it's worth the £600 to go keyless though!

We've not ordered yet, should be the next few weeks with luck, we'd love the car to be here for our holidays in August but we might just miss out there...
I dont have PCC, yet when I get in the car, my key stays in my pocket. I dont put it in the ignition. I press the start button to turn everything on and then again to start the engine......and away I go :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
nry said:
I have to say, I am curious if the dash will be damaged by any keyrings hanging off the key,
Had the same concern.

Standard key:
(1) other keys do not seem to move around too much. Definitely do not jangle (but agree, may wear the dash in time?).
(2) the car does not need even the standard key to remain in the dash.
Once started you can remove the key with no probs.

Keyless entry takes the potential long term wear problem away and provides the individual memory settings for the seats using the key.
"Standard" key involves holding down the seating memory key.

[hr]
louisdoberman said:
nry said:
I dont have PCC, yet when I get in the car, my key stays in my pocket. I dont put it in the ignition. I press the start button to turn everything on and then again to start the engine......and away I go :D
This is interesting:
You can have keyless entry and drive without PCC,
but just checked and keyless drive (like happens with ours) is supposed to be an optional extra also?
I assume you (like us) did not pay for the option?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Bugsy said:
nry said:
I have to say, I am curious if the dash will be damaged by any keyrings hanging off the key,
Had the same concern.

Standard key:
(1) other keys do not seem to move around too much. Definitely do not jangle (but agree, may wear the dash in time?).
(2) the car does not need even the standard key to remain in the dash.
Once started you can remove the key with no probs.

Keyless entry takes the potential long term wear problem away and provides the individual memory settings for the seats using the key.
"Standard" key involves holding down the seating memory key.

[hr]
louisdoberman said:
nry said:
This is interesting:
You can have keyless entry and drive without PCC,
but just checked and keyless drive (like happens with ours) is supposed to be an optional extra also?
I assume you (like us) did not pay for the option?
If you have standard keys, you need to use them (press the button on the fob) to unlock and lock the car. But they can remain in your pocket to start and drive the car. With keyless entry there is a button on the door handle you press to unlock the car, which only works if the key is very near.

·
Registered
10 Posts
wizzy said:
It sounds a good deal, but then I don't know how sales are going, and whether you could get a better deal. I have the £300 3year service pack as I was paying about that every year on my previous car (Volvo V50)
As far as the options:
I'm not convinced the Sports Pack is much of a benefit, but others may differ. The standard V40 is quite taught as standard.
Having had cruise control on my previous Volvo, it is a must in my view. It is an asset on long journeys, as you don't have to keep your foot on the throttle pedal. It does require a slightly different mode of driving, as so many people vary their speed continually. It also helps with fuel economy.
Power drivers seat. I didn't bother this time. It was a nice luxury on the V50 but it didn't get used much, as my wife has her own car. If the V40 is your only car, and both of you will be driving it then it will be an advantage, especially if you have your own key.
Couldn't agree more about dodging the sports pack. One of the v40s greatest strengths is it's comfort/large car feel. Wouldn't compromise this, especially on a D2.

I would disagree with your point about cruise helping with fuel economy though, i have always found it to be less economical than human input as it constantly accelerates on slight or short inclines.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi
Regarding keys -bear in mind that when you acquire your new steed that your keys must be on your person or no more than 1.5 metres away from either side of the car or your press button ignition won't work!!
The discount for the R-Design is about right -although its better on other specs. Service pack cost is ok-par for the course.
Agree about the Cruise control being an unnecessary addition unless you will be doing more than say 50% of your anticipated mileage on motorways
Being practical the winter pack is essential -the seats in particular with 3 settings and heating your back is best i've had including any of the Saabs i've owned as is the rear parking sensors which detect side obstacles.
I wouldn't bother with the sports pack or the seats but then again my wife doesn't drive!!
Consider GAP insurance for your new car -this is where big discounts can be had

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers for the reply!

Key distance is no biggie, they are with either of us whenever we're out anyhow. For reference, is there any form of auto-lock on the vehicle if the keys are not in range for a set amount of time? My wife suggested that not having to remove the key from the car when leaving it could result in her forgetting to lock it....

I have thought on the Sports Pack - on par with everything else on the car, most of it's driving won't benefit from extra sharp handling, I think we're as well to go for tinted windows alone, and drop the sports pack. We priced originally on metallic paint and the sports pack - moving to Rebel Blue and dropping the SP remove around £500 from the total price.

Cruise Control should really follow the same thought path - it will get used so infrequently.

GAP insurance was mentioned at £300 - I did look online for alternatives but so far found nothing cheaper, some were actually more expensive. What do you mean by 'discounts can be had' for the GAP Insurance?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re GAP:- Try a company named 'alas' on web -you will find -as I did a price of £140.00 for 36 months (Warranty period) -or I did about 4/5 weeks ago! -Print off the quote and present it to your dealer -Mine is a big Volvo main Dealer and matched it rather than lose the business--as the sales people get commission on these after sales deals.
Furthermore they threw in the Supaguard treatment FOC which has key loss insurance.

As far as other half forgetting to lock the car -add a 'posey' -I prefer practical -entertainment factor and also reduce the risk by going into settings and you can make the side wing mirrors close when you lock the car -furthermore she can look back when up to about 50 metres away and see the position of the mirrors. Yes they are from Venus!!!
i first found out about the keys /ignition issue when my wife was talking to a neighbour across the road with the keys in the "kitchen sink" she calls her handbag.
The auto lock is there but only if you unlock the car -say 1st thing in the morning and forget something -then when you return after a few minutes it's locked!! On the other hand if you get out of the car and don't lock it -it stays unlocked.

·
Registered
630 Posts
tranran said:
Hi
Regarding keys -bear in mind that when you acquire your new steed that your keys must be ........... no more than 1.5 metres away from either side of the car or your press button ignition won't work!!
My arms aren't that long anyway. :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Would it be 'Ala' for the GAP insurance, not ALAS? Ala suggest £126 for £17,500 cover for a 3 year policy with an invoice value of £25,000.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep, whether Volvo match or not, it's a good bit cheaper :) I can but ask Volvo! Just need to book a test drive now :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts