Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
V40 D4 R-Design Pro Auto
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a couple of weeks now since I was researching my next purchase, and I am pleased to have this forum to help out with your knowledge etc. I have now acquired a great D4 R-Design Pro auto 2017 model, and so far I love it!

However I have a query that I have been unable to find an answer to despite extensive research. I would like to know if it's possible to see/ enable which gear the car is in on the dash. For example on an Audi auto model, it shows you which gear the car is in on the dash. The only info I could find was for a manual which has a shift indicator on the dash, however I can't find any info on the same for an auto.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Not sure if this applies to the R design model but on the wife's Inscription you can only see the gear when using the semi manual/sport postion. Gear lever in D and then pushed top the left in case you didnt know that already.

·
Registered
V40 D4 R-Design Pro Auto
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure if this applies to the R design model but on the wife's Inscription you can only see the gear when using the semi manual/sport postion. Gear lever in D and then pushed top the left in case you didnt know that already.
Thanks for your response, I knew how to switch to sport by pushing the stick to the left but didn't realise the indicator shows up on the dash to show what gear you're in. However, I'm more interested in enabling the gear indicator during normal driving in D if you've got any ideas?

·
Registered
360 Posts

Quoted from that page

The manual gear position is reached by moving the lever to the side from position D to the end position at "+/-". The combined instrument panel's symbol "+/-" changes colour from WHITE to ORANGE and the digits 1, 2, 3 etc. are displayed in a box which corresponds to the gear that has just been selected.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Indeed, if you want to see what gear you're in just flick the lever there and back. But with a decent automatic doing it's job properly you'll really lose interest very soon….

·
Registered
210 Posts
Indeed, if you want to see what gear you're in just flick the lever there and back. But with a decent automatic doing it's job properly you'll really lose interest very soon….
On SWMBO's T2 that usually results in the gear selection dropping down one gear (sports mode ?).

·
Registered
360 Posts
On SWMBO's T2 that usually results in the gear selection dropping down one gear (sports mode ?).
I haven't driven a Volvo automatic, But if the sports mode works like other brands then that is likely as the sports mode usually allows you to rev more in each gear as you drive to utilise more of the torque curve.

·
Registered
V40 D4 R-Design Pro Auto
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't driven a Volvo automatic, But if the sports mode works like other brands then that is likely as the sports mode usually allows you to rev more in each gear as you drive to utilise more of the torque curve.
I noticed as well when stationary in D, the car idles at ~850rpm. When you move the lever to the left into S, the rpm climbs to ~1000. I take it this is normal and is to prepare the vehicle for the higher revs?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I noticed as well when stationary in D, the car idles at ~850rpm. When you move the lever to the left into S, the rpm climbs to ~1000. I take it this is normal and is to prepare the vehicle for the higher revs?
Yes it's normal. Same here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts