Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick hello. Have not ordered yet, but seriously looking at a V40 T4 Kinetic in red.
It would mean a 4 month wait as there are none here in Aust apparently! Had to do the same with our C30 T5 with Polestar and it's a long 4 months that's for sure.
Has anyone else got a T4 Kinetic? I'm a little apprehensive about dropping from roughly 250hp in the C30 to 183hp in the V40.
Thoughts on the V40 T4 would be appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
225 Posts
Welcome aboard - I only recently joined myself. I think I recognise your username from the unfortunately now defunct C30World. Either Volvo Australia are keeping a seriously low stock of V40s or they are selling them as soon as they arrive. I've been waiting 3 weeks simply for a test drive of a V40 CC T5 AWD. They apparently did get one in, but was sold the next day or so.

I'm in much the same boat as yourself - we are seriously looking at replacing our C30 T5 with a V40 CC. On the T4, when the V40 was first launched in Australia earlier this year I did have a (admittedly) quick test drive of the D4, T4 and T5 and I must admit I wasn't that impressed with the T4. I felt even the D4 was a better drive. Got a little more pissed off when I found out the T4 we get in Australia is not the same T4 they have in Europe. There-as they have a modern (ie fuel efficient) 1.6l 4-cylinder DI turbo engine (actually a Ford engine), we get a cut down 2.0l version of Volvo's 2.5l 5-cylinder T5.

Big decision facing us at the moment is whether we buy now with what is arguably outdated but proven engines and transmission, or wait 6-12 months for the new fuel efficient Volvo engines and the new 8-speed auto (with paddle shifters) to make it way into the V40s.

Tony

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the welcome, Just returned from a few hundred klms run in the C30 and still just love it, I haven't driven the V40 T4 as yet so I think it best I do. If the T4 does not have the get up and go of the C30s T5 plant I may have to ponder the V40 T5.
Our budget may not permit the 5 pot turbo in the V40 and I think it has to be an R design here in Victoria. So that may be a problem as I hear the ride is rather harsh in the R.
Oh! and nobody has told me of an AWD! That maybe interesting!!
Anyhow thanks for the welcome again Tony.
I'll keep investigating.....

Cheers

Mark

*Whoops: Just realised the CC is a bush basher..... Not for this black duck.

·
Registered
139 Posts
*Whoops: Just realised the CC is a bush basher..... Not for this black duck.
Hi Mark and welcome. I am a new member here as well, in Coburg Melbourne.

Saw the cross country the other day and it is not much different from the v40. Definitely not a bush basher. You can hardly tell the difference. It is essentially a v40 with roof rails, slightly (not much at all) higher ride height, side panels and 4wd on t5 only.

I have the v40 r-design t5 and the ride does not IMHO seem too harsh :)

Hope this helps you out.

Regards

Andrew

·
Registered
196 Posts
Just a quick hello. Have not ordered yet, but seriously looking at a V40 T4 Kinetic in red.
It would mean a 4 month wait as there are none here in Aust apparently! Had to do the same with our C30 T5 with Polestar and it's a long 4 months that's for sure.
Has anyone else got a T4 Kinetic? I'm a little apprehensive about dropping from roughly 250hp in the C30 to 183hp in the V40.
Thoughts on the V40 T4 would be appreciated.

Cheers
It's only just clicked, thought I recognised the username from C30Crew ;) (Marc here by the way)

Would you not rather get the T5 again? I'm sure they are available down under now. I think you'd really notice the power drop as the V40 is also heavier than your C30... That said, I took out a V40 D2 the other week, and although not as fast as the Polestar tuned D5 in my C30, It still felt good.

Regs

Marc

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Marc,
Yes I was on the C30 forum, Your advise is sound regarding the T5, I'm not sure I could live with the power drop as our T5 is also Polestar tuned and goes like a cut cat.
The only problem for me is the cost at the moment, here to get a T5 engine it has to be an R design package and that's the top of the line.
I'll have to think on it some more.

Cheers

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Mark, like Andrew I've got the V40 T5. On paper it's got more power and torque than the C30 T5 (which I also had previously) and, on paper it is faster (0-100 in 6.1, although if you watch the video from PerformanceDrive, they could only do it in 6.7:
). The V40 seems slower (to me) than the C30, which might be weight related and despite having more torque, it feels like it could do with some more. I'd be keen to up-tune with Rica (or anyone!) if it were available in Aus, but it isn't yet.
The V40 seems to ride more compliantly then my C30 T5 R-Design did, and despite apparently being factory lowered, rides noticibly higher than the C30 did (I think the C30 was lowered by 20mm, whilst the V40 is only 10mm from memory). The upshot is I'm not scraping against parking barriers or my driveway lip.
I feel that the V40 gearbox could be better calibrated (the C30 was a manual :) ) and the turning circle is a pain, but other than those complaints I'm really enjoying it. Cruising is very comfortable, and the few country roads I've had the opportunity to drive in it have been a blast.
Sorry for rabbiting on...
Kieran

·
Registered
225 Posts
kdg123 - thanks for that comparison between the C30 T5 and V40 T5. In the short test drive I had of a V40 T5 earlier this year I also found the ride of the V40 seemed to be a little better than our C30 T5. Something I'm keen on.

My question however is on something else. I realise this question should perhaps be asked in another sub-forum but as I suspect the answer my be related to the Australian market I'll ask it here. I notice in your signature that you have "keyless drive/entry" listed as an option. My reading of the V40 brochure is that while "keyless drive" is listed as a stand-alone option, for both keyless entry and drive you need to option the much more expensive PCC option. Is this correct or are you able to get keyless drive and entry as a stand-alone option as I know you were able with the C30 (and S40/V50).

Tony

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Informative write up kdg123, I have decided to step back from the V40 purchase, as I've determined it's just not economical for us at the moment as the model would have to be an R Design and we're into the mid 50s for one.
Our C30 has very limited mileage as we have a V70 we use more, and I'm not willing to cop a loss of over 20k on a car with only 16k on it!
Maybe I should get out of town for a better comparison, or sell privately.

I'll investigate further and I'll keep looking.

Cheers

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi all, over the last 3 months I have test driven the following cars which I looked at fully specced. Below are driveaway prices.
Merc A250 $67k and CLA 200 $60k. BMW 125i $68k and VW GTI at $57k
The drive on the CLA was atrocious, cant believe the mostly positive write up's it got - the Top Gear UK boys put it in it's place as a disappointing car whilst giving the V40 9/10
So in the end, it was an easy decision and The Volvo guys were prepared to do a deal so I ordered my V40 T5 R Design MY14 in Rebel Blue last week.
Comes with glass roof, drivers assist pack, full leather, heated seats and push button start. 5 yrs free service, 5 yr warranty and 5 yrs roadside assist.
Unfortunately have to wait until late Feb/Mar for delivery, its a 2014 model and best of all it came in much cheaper than all of the above -:)

·
Registered
139 Posts
So in the end, it was an easy decision and The Volvo guys were prepared to do a deal so I ordered -:)
Great choice tcb and welcome to the forum :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts