Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm the proud new owner of a V40 D3 SE Lux Nav! Its my first Volvo and I am impressed so far. It feels very well built and the 5 cylinder engine sounds fantastic! The Premium sound system is pretty great too. The only thing I need to sort is a faulty front sensor but that should be easy enough, hopefully..

Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Congratulations, the 5cyl engines D5204T4/6 are great and sound lovely. They are not as fast as the VEAs but are very torqy. They are dead easy to maintain, oil and filter service takes like 15 minutes to do so you can save a lot on doing it yourself :) yesterday I carried out a polestar optimisation on my D3 which now has the same power and torque as a D4 (177hp and 400Nm)

I hope you will enjoy your V40 as much as I do! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congratulations, the 5cyl engines D5204T4/6 are great and sound lovely. They are not as fast as the VEAs but are very torqy. They are dead easy to maintain, oil and filter service takes like 15 minutes to do so you can save a lot on doing it yourself :) yesterday I carried out a polestar optimisation on my D3 which now has the same power and torque as a D4 (177hp and 400Nm)

I hope you will enjoy your V40 as much as I do! :)
Thanks for the welcome. It’s been a month now and I'm absolutely loving the car still! I'm seriously considering the Polestar update too. Does it make a noticeable improvement to the way it drives?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. It’s been a month now and I'm absolutely loving the car still! I'm seriously considering the Polestar update too. Does it make a noticeable improvement to the way it drives?
When I got it back from the dealer I had to go carefully down an edge and on a low visibility street. First I didn't notice any difference at all, since the torque comes at 1750rpm instead of 1500. But when accelerating up the ramp to the highway I could definitely feel that the car pulled away quicker. If you are traveling alone with not too much luggage it's really quick. Later I got into a twisty country road and that's where the Polestar optimization came into its right place. It put a big smile on my face and the car was really fun to drive! It accelerates fast between 2500-4000 rpms.

Fuel consumption stayed the same (3.7-3.9 l/100kms) when I cruised at 95kms/h but I think the optimisation automatically will increase the over all consumption as the car is mor fun to accelerate with. My car is a manual but if the car is a Geartronic then the optimisation will affect the driving experience even more as it tunes the gearbox. Just be aware of that the torque steering effect will increase. The 40 series is already prone to it.

Is it worth it then? Volvo Sweden had a discount on Polestar so I got it for 640 eur instead of 865. So both yes and no. If you drive economically on secondary roads and highways with no need of overtaking others, it won't matter to you. But if you're after a car that's has better acceleration then Polestar will turn your V40 D3 into an ultimate driving machine ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the explanation, it sounds like a good upgrade! Mine is manual too. I saw a local Volvo garage offering the upgrade for £500 instead of £800 so I will probably go ahead and get it. Cheers for your advice!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the explanation, it sounds like a good upgrade! Mine is manual too. I saw a local Volvo garage offering the upgrade for £500 instead of £800 so I will probably go ahead and get it. Cheers for your advice!
You really should! My father has an S90 with the D4 VEA D4204T14. It differs from the D3 VEA (no twin turbo, no balance shafts etc.) so owners with the old generation D3s are lucky to be able to make the upgrade!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts