Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so in about a month or so I am getting my first V40, however I can鈥檛 decide which one is best for me! I normally travel a mixture of roads and only do about 8,000 to 10,000 miles per year. But I don鈥檛 know if I should go for a diesel or a petrol. I also want something with good acceleration that will last me a few years. Any advice would be appreciated 馃檪

Registered
If you want good acceleration, this rules out T2/D2, so you are tossing up between a T3 and a D3. It all comes down to what are your trips, short 10-15 min trips everyday each way? Long stints on highway speeds? Do you drive in cities?

If you speend most of your journies in the city, and short journies, and sometimes go for long drives on highway, the T3 would be recommended.

If your journies are sometimes in city, but usually are at least 25-30 mins, and frequently go 40-70mph otherwise, get the D3.

Then it comes down to price, diesels are usually pricier like for like..say for instance if the D3 is 2k more expensive, but may do 15mpg better like for like, it may take several years of higher fuel spend on the petrol to offset making going for a diesel worth it. There's a saying less than 10k miles, go petrol, more than 12k miles, goes diesel, 10-12k, it's a toss up, some manufacturers (not Volvo sadly) make very economical petrol cars that comes very close to diesel mpg. Eg..I previously had a 2.0TDI (diesel) and later a 1.0TSI (turbo petrol) and they did identical mpgs, petrol marginally more economical in the city, and 40-50mph roads, but the diesel was more economical at the 65-75mph speed range. But long term averages were near identical on both.

How much would a respective T3 and D3 you are looking at?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
If you want good acceleration, this rules out T2/D2, so you are tossing up between a T3 and a D3. It all comes down to what are your trips, short 10-15 min trips everyday each way? Long stints on highway speeds? Do you drive in cities?

If you speend most of your journies in the city, and short journies, and sometimes go for long drives on highway, the T3 would be recommended.

If your journies are sometimes in city, but usually are at least 25-30 mins, and frequently go 40-70mph otherwise, get the D3.

Then it comes down to price, diesels are usually pricier like for like..say for instance if the D3 is 2k more expensive, but may do 15mpg better like for like, it may take several years of higher fuel spend on the petrol to offset making going for a diesel worth it. There's a saying less than 10k miles, go petrol, more than 12k miles, goes diesel, 10-12k, it's a toss up, some manufacturers (not Volvo sadly) make very economical petrol cars that comes very close to diesel mpg. Eg..I previously had a 2.0TDI (diesel) and later a 1.0TSI (turbo petrol) and they did identical mpgs, petrol marginally more economical in the city, and 40-50mph roads, but the diesel was more economical at the 65-75mph speed range. But long term averages were near identical on both.

How much would a respective T3 and D3 you are looking at?
Thank you for the info! So I am probably going to have to stick to the D2 or T2 model as it鈥檚 a bit to pricey on the insurance for the D3/T3 sadly. However I will most likely get a 14 plate D2, R-design automatic. (Found one fairly cheap).
- However my only concern is that it has done 75k miles. I鈥檝e heard that for a V40 D2, this isn鈥檛 too bad as they are quite sturdy, but was curious to know if this is true?

Thank you :)

Registered
Hi, so in about a month or so I am getting my first V40, however I can鈥檛 decide which one is best for me! I normally travel a mixture of roads and only do about 8,000 to 10,000 miles per year. But I don鈥檛 know if I should go for a diesel or a petrol. I also want something with good acceleration that will last me a few years. Any advice would be appreciated 馃檪
This is such an easy choice. Go for the T5 R Design. You will enjoy driving it every day as I do :)

Registered
- However my only concern is that it has done 75k miles. I鈥檝e heard that for a V40 D2, this isn鈥檛 too bad as they are quite sturdy, but was curious to know if this is true?

Thank you :)
I guess you can find out regarding it's MOT (online) and full service history and whether it has changed it's cambelt recently. It's really difficult to say if it's sturdy, as you can appreciate, it's likely an owner posting issues with a car here, but owner with no issues, just hapilly enjoying the car with no fuss. If you do get the D2, ensure you fill up with Shell/Esso's finest diesel (Vpower/Supreme) for 2 tanks or so for it's cleaning properties of the engine, and try avoid using it exclusively only for short 5-15 min journies.

Registered
I have a 64 plate D2 R Design and think it is great, not the fastest car off the line, but pretty nippy when overtaking on country roads. Mine has about 65k miles on it. Most of my driving is on A roads at 50-60 mph and I get a good 65+mpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts