Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Capless fuel filler is faulty. The flaps stay open and are letting in dust and water.

Ive stripped everything down but cannot work out how to remove it

The part is available so it must be removable but How??
2016 Petrol T2

Automotive tire Alloy wheel Motor vehicle Door Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Rim Gas

Wheel Automotive tire Tread Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Hood

Any help

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'd probably try to lever open those pressed in metal strips that hold the "cap" section to the plastic barrel to take it off and investigate/repair.
The plastic lugs further down might be a clue that it's a push and twist fit, but maybe done by a machine in the factory so not easy to remove?
Equally the spot-welded thick outer metal sleeve might be holding it all together....

Meanwhile find a suitable plastic cap to cover it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello whinbush

sorry I can’t help with your issue but wondering if you can help with a little one I have ……

I was leaning out the drain hole inside the filler opening and have managed to push the white plastic cap through the rubber

how do you remove the plastic surround from around the filler neck …..don’t want to break anything

thanks

Chris

·
Registered
107 Posts
I found that picture on Internet. Maybe that top part needs to be rotated a bit, but... can't be sure.
Auto part Aluminium Metal Nickel Fashion accessory

Edit: I just saw that you posted a link to the online shop with pictures. Yes, it seems that maybe it should be rotated. But in left or right and how much to turn...

Also, there are few more pictures:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello whinbush

sorry I can’t help with your issue but wondering if you can help with a little one I have ……

I was leaning out the drain hole inside the filler opening and have managed to push the white plastic cap through the rubber

how do you remove the plastic surround from around the filler neck …..don’t want to break anything

thanks

Chris
In truth the surround inc the outer flap is just a push fit . So taking the wheel well liner screws off and folding back you can reach up to the back of it. Then with gentle pushing and pulling it will just pop out. Remember to 1st take out the one Torx screw that holds the flap lock in place ( see picture )
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Liquid Alloy wheel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found that picture on Internet. Maybe that top part needs to be rotated a bit, but... can't be sure.
View attachment 18150

Edit: I just saw that you posted a link to the online shop with pictures. Yes, it seems that maybe it should be rotated. But in left or right and how much to turn...

Also, there are few more pictures:
Turns out with the Volvo part there are two white plastic clips, The push down and hold back two tabs . Then I used a mole grip and just puled straight out. easy New one just slides in and clips in place . Here is a picture of the old part showing the location of clips
Hand Finger Camera accessory Camera lens Cameras & optics

·
Registered
66Plate V40 D2 Momentum Nav Plus in Mussel Blue
64 Posts
This is useful information. Pleased you got it sorted!
So, a question, just for future reference:-
If you were doing this again, and knowing what you now know can the filler be changed without removing the surround/interior wheel well trim etc?....Or wouldn't it be that simple because you can't see until the surround is removed the exact place where to push the removal clips in?

Alan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is useful information. Pleased you got it sorted!
So, a question, just for future reference:-
If you were doing this again, and knowing what you now know can the filler be changed without removing the surround/interior wheel well trim etc?....Or wouldn't it be that simple because you can't see until the surround is removed the exact place where to push the removal clips in?

Alan.
As a bare minimum you would need to take off the fuel door and housing but for all the time it takes ( -5min ) making access via the wheel allows an easier access

1 - 9 of 9 Posts