Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Currently looking to change my car. Currently drive a 2009 Mondeo 2.0TDCi and looking to downsize to something a bit smaller and the V40 is high up on my list.

Budget is 10-12k and a Petrol engine as I do less than 10k a year now. Probably the T2 122BHP

I think I would go for the R-Design over the momentum as it looks a bit nicer and probably a bit more kit as standard?

Are there any known issues with the V40 T2 engine, or anything to be aware about when looking to buy a V40.

What optional extras would people recommend looking for on a used car? I'm thinking rear parking sensors and also cruise control (was a bit surprised cruise control wasn't standard!)

Also there is a promotion running soon that will give you 2 years warranty on a used car and also a servicing plan for 2 years which costs £199. Is this something that people have managed to get outside of this promotion? I know in the past when I've had ford cars I've always managed to get a couple of free services thrown in.

Thanks

·
Registered
668 Posts
Welcome. A few quick points:
1. The current V40 was developed alongside the current Focus when Ford owned Volvo BUT Volvo have added a lot of safety and especially luxury/comfort. So coming from a Ford it will be different/nicer (but much smaller than a Mondeo!)
2. Unlike most Fords adding extras afterwards is virtually impossible in most cases, so decide what features you need and buy a car with them on.
3. Extras are often bundled in "packs". Used car sellers often have no idea what's on a car.... though Volvo dealers should and can check.
4. Adaptive Cruise Control (radar) is absolutely the best option to have and works really well at all speeds. Standard fixed-speed cruise in modern traffic is increasing pointless.
5. Rear camera is very useful.

Reactions: jonnypb

·
Registered
200 Posts
I was pretty sure cruise and speed limiters were standard.

For me the satnav is a must. The volvo version is much better than others I have used, and the free updates are a great thing to have.

As I drive in the north of Scotland in winter, the winter pack (heated seats/windscreen) is essential

·
Registered
266 Posts
Volvo comfort and safety with Ford handling is a good combination. Most problems seem to be with some diesels,

Failing, locking shut door-locks getting a regular mention here, with a warranty that should be ok and the service record will show if the locks have needed to be done.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Coming from a diesel, expect 25-30mpg on a city drive, 40-45mpg on a more gentle extra urban drive, and probably realisically around 35mpg average if you do both type of journies. Sat Nav is from the 2012s, I just find that on post-code setting, it only brings you to the start of the road where the postcode is, which is not helpful and unless you input the exact door number, it won't bring you to the door. Then again, coming from 2 VAG cars with Sat Navs prior, that would bring you to the door just with post-code I found the V40's Sat Nav poor in comparison, but it's all what you had before. As you did not mention which year model V40 you are looking to get, but those after 2016, were the newer 'drive E' engines, and I thought cruise control (and LED headlights) were standard on all trim levels with a lot of other stuff like parking sensors, rear camera, AC etc. Despite me only having a Momentum Nav+ trim, I have everything I needed. Please note though, my car is a 2018 model Momentum Nav+ T3

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Coming from a diesel, expect 25-30mpg on a city drive, 40-45mpg on a more gentle extra urban drive, and probably realisically around 35mpg average if you do both type of journies. Sat Nav is from the 2012s, I just find that on post-code setting, it only brings you to the start of the road where the postcode is, which is not helpful and unless you input the exact door number, it won't bring you to the door. Then again, coming from 2 VAG cars with Sat Navs prior, that would bring you to the door just with post-code I found the V40's Sat Nav poor in comparison, but it's all what you had before. As you did not mention which year model V40 you are looking to get, but those after 2016, were the newer 'drive E' engines, and I thought cruise control (and LED headlights) were standard on all trim levels with a lot of other stuff like parking sensors, rear camera, AC etc. Despite me only having a Momentum Nav+ trim, I have everything I needed. Please note though, my car is a 2018 model Momentum Nav+ T3
I'd been looking at 2016/2017 V40s. That might explain why I'm seeing some differences with kit on the standard R-Design models. Was it from a particular reg in 2016 that the engine and spec changed? I wasn't aware that the engines were changed so that's good to know, is there much difference with the T2 Petrol engine?

Thanks

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'd been looking at 2016/2017 V40s. That might explain why I'm seeing some differences with kit on the standard R-Design models. Was it from a particular reg in 2016 that the engine and spec changed? I wasn't aware that the engines were changed so that's good to know, is there much difference with the T2 Petrol engine?

Thanks
I believe that the Volvo V40s with the new 'Thor Hammer' LED headlights are the 'new' Drive-E models. I 'think' but could be wrong that the older V40s T2 was a 1.6 litre engine on manual, and the newer T2s are 2.0 in manual and 1.5 in Auto. Power is the same or thereabouts the same around the 120ish BHP mark.

·
Registered
668 Posts
VEA engines came in before LED headlights.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I believe that the Volvo V40s with the new 'Thor Hammer' LED headlights are the 'new' Drive-E models. I 'think' but could be wrong that the older V40s T2 was a 1.6 litre engine on manual, and the newer T2s are 2.0 in manual and 1.5 in Auto. Power is the same or thereabouts the same around the 120ish BHP mark.
In 2016 the 1.6 Ford engines were replaced by Volvo engines (called VEA, not Drive-E). This is not related to the Thor headlights. I have the VEA engine, but not the Thor lights. The VEA T2 is indeed a 2.0 with manual gearbox or a 1.5 with 6-speed geartronic. These Volvo engines do have approx the same HP but more torque.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Ooh I learn something new everyday. My bad...yes VEA engine came in 2015. And looking at autotrader (UK), I found a single 1.5 auto pre-facelift (halogen)...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all, I may take a trip to the local volvo dealer this weekend while the 2 year warranty offer and servicing plan is on offer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If your lucky look for cars that begin K? As these are Volvo management fleet that are usually loaded with extra kit and low mileage
The T2 manual is a good engine as had no problems with our 2018 R. The T3 has a good bit more power if you want it, avoid larger wheels over 17” as they can be a bit hard on the ride comfort

·
Registered
360 Posts
I had a Seat Leon that was a former manager's car, 2.0TDI, 13 months old, 2.2k miles on the clock...it was as KX plate, which worked well, as they are my initials as well!

·
Registered
20 Posts
My car is a T3 first registered in December 2015.
The engine is a 1.5 with 152bhp, which I think is just perfect. As I live in Greece I have an added advantage in that the annual road tax is cheaper because of the lower cc's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts