Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All,
Am about to buy a 2016 V40 and will probably go for the R Design. I test drove one today with the panoramic sunroof. Surprised how little light it seemed to let into the car. Does it open at all?
Also, how would I know if the car has a heated front windscreen (my favourite car accessory ever) or do they all have it as standard?
Would really appreciate answers to either if both if these questions please and can't seem to find them online. Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
699 Posts
The answers very briefly are no and no.

A longer answer is that the panoramic roof has an electric blind that can be used to stop (some) light entering but it is a fixed non-opening part of the body.
Heated windscreen is a factory-fit option and usually part of an options pack. (Winter Pack on our 2016 CC)
Like most V40 options it may be difficult or impossible to retrofit, so always buy a car which has everything you need.

Heated windscreen is an option that is on my "mandatory" list but not top. #1 is radar (adaptive) cruise control and #2 is a power/memory drivers seat.
I realise #2 may be irrelevant for many but my wife and I are very different heights and just want to unlock the car and jump in. Though you do still have to adjust the interior mirror.
(Our other car has memory on the steering column as well, which is brilliant, but with the V40 we've found a compromise position that works for us both)

How to determine if the car has a heated windscreen - get in, start it up and press the windscreen demist button repeatedly while watching the dash display? If it is heated it will go through a sequence that includes electric heating.
You can also look at the windscreen glass carefully and see the fine vertical heating wires embedded in the glass.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for your considered reply. That has been really helpful thank you. I think I did see that electric thing on the screen when I tried the demister button today, so thats a relief.
Do you think there's any great reason to get a sunroof at all if it doesn't actually open? It didn't seem to add a lot of light to the interior.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Mine came with it as part of an options pack, so I had no choice, but I do actually like the improved ambience and never shut the blind.
I have tinted rear windows (again not a decision I made) so the sunroof does make the interior lighter, especially in the rear.
I've had many cars with sunroofs and since the arrival of air conditioning (and now climate control) never bothered to open them.
My other car has a non-transparent sunroof and I've had the car 7 years now and never once opened it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great thanks. You've been very helpful. I'll be sad to part with my 2010 Audi A3, which is still very reliable but feel an urge to go up in the years and the Volvo V40 is the only car in my price range that’s exciting me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I concur with the previous post. It sounds like you are already looking ar one which does not have all you want. The heated screen ( brilliant) is part of the winter pack and most r designs had it. The glass roof whilst not adding too much light adds to the cars looks in my opinion.. The auto seats are also widely available. Plenty of engines to suit all driving styles. Wait and enjoy a great car..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your thoughts Nigel. I'm leaning towards the one with the sunroof and heated seats now. It doesn't have electric seats but it's only me driving it so I'm not bothered about that. Looking forward to having another test drive tomorrow with more information under my belt.

·
Registered
699 Posts
The question however has to be why? What specifically is attractive about the R-design over standard or Cross-Country?
In our case the CC was preferred due to power of the T5 coupled with 4WD. Styling wasn't an issue and options we wanted the "full house" anyway.
The slightly higher ride height was also a bonus for access and comfort, but others may prefer it otherwise.

Reactions: Richie

·
Registered
240 Posts
... Also the R-Design only comes with a black headlining which, in my opinion, makes for a very dark and gloomy interior .. even with the panoramic roof.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would have loved the chance to try the cross country but I can only find diesel ones for sale and I don't do the mileage to warrant a diesel.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I'm not surprised, some versions are very rare. We knew what we wanted and pretty soon realised that the only way was to buy new and order our exact spec.
In the end we didn't quite do that, it was an ex-demo car just 3 months old, but the "deal" was pretty much sewn up before the dealer ordered his "demo" model and we waited …...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Me personally I like a bright looking interior. So my options were to get an Inscription (and specify the cream leather, which was expensive) either that or get the Momentum and select the 'City Weave Blonde' interior. I have done the latter. R-Design does look sportier (depending on the colour) and they have huge dual split exhaust...and better rims. However the only item I found (not relating to aestics) at the time of order (autumn 2018) was that it only had the digital instruments over the Momentum Nav+

1 - 14 of 14 Posts