Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,
Just put a deposit on a white my13 T5 R Design demonstrator with all the trimmings. (my first volvo)

Also have ordered the upgrade of the sensus to the new touch spec. Delivery will be September 20 so will report how the sensus upgrade goes .

Andrew :s

·
Registered
202 Posts
Also have ordered the upgrade of the sensus to the new touch spec. Delivery will be September 20 so will report how the sensus upgrade goes .
Hi Andrew,

Nice choice. I look forward to hearing your impressions of the SCT upgrade.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you cue ball for the welcome. Looking forward to contributing to this forum. :)

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Welcome, congrats on the purchase.

How much extra was the Touch screen option?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Welcome, congrats on the purchase.

How much extra was the Touch screen option?
Thanks for the welcome Bob.

The dealer said it was around $2000 (aud) but not sure of the exact price as its just now available. I had it included in my changeover price.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Not a fan of touch screens, I have had it on a number of cars including the Jag where it is confusing as some bits are touch screen and other have button say for the heating etc. the issues are when you are driving you have to take your eyes of the road to make sure you are pressing the correct thing, the buttons do not move so you are not sure if the system has recognized your press and the worst, it leaves fingerprints behind!!

I am sure you will enjoy the car though, especially with the T5

·
Registered
155 Posts
Completely agree with denn1s, I don't like this touchscreen trend at all. It's much more convenient to feel your way to a chunky dial or an unmistakable button without taking your eyes off the road, than to fiddle around with icons and menus.

I k now touchscreens are trendy and it was only to be expected to have them in cars, but I do hope it's just a fad and designers will soon realise palpable controls are safer and more ergonomic. Hopefully in a couple of years, when I will be buying my next Volvo :) .

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
agree, touchscreens are not so good in cars. Just got out of LandRover Discovery 4 with touchscreen and it was painful, much prefer the offer in the Volvo, tactile control is far better.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I also think touch screen is not going to work so nice in the car, perhaps when you stand still it ok, but while driving, it might select the wrong stuff the whole, as you go over bumps etc.

I navigate fairly quickly through sensus by just using the circle knob (exit/ok)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for your posts. Will be interesting to see how I go with the touch. I will post on this thread when I receive the car end of September.
Here also is a link to the parrot site.

regards

Andrew

·
Registered
202 Posts
I believe Volvo needed the touch system to be able to say 'me too' in this sector. All their major rivals have a touch based media system available and they're now appearing in many lower marques also, even Dacia has one.

From a usability point for me it depends what functions are touch based. Many people are already using touch navigation on their phones in their cars, and many other car based apps are appearing on phones and tablets for use in car. Where Volvo's system is better than a separate phone/tablet solution is it's fully integrated with the console and steering wheel controls, so you get best of both worlds on how you can control it.
Data entry with an on screen keyboard for instance beats a jog wheel input any day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts