Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've ordered a V40 R-Design D2 in Rebel Blue, with tinted rear windows and Park Assist Pilot (Had to get one toy! and I wanted front and rear sensors, so was the only way)

Struggled with the D2/D3 question, eventually economy won me over, although disappointed to read the thread on fuel economy, which indicates performance nowhere near the, admittedly unlikely, manufacturers figures.

Have to say, I'm surprised I ordered a Volvo, I test drove everything, Golfs, New Seat Leon, Audi A3 sportback, Mercedes A Class, Alfa Guiletta etc... eventually decided to give the Volvo a go, not expecting to enjoy the car to be honest.

But from the moment I got in the R-Design, the interior caught me immediately, it was so well finished, loved the LCD dash. Initially drove the D2 ES and was even more surprised by the big car feel, very smooth, didn't feel under powered at all, drove a lot lot better than the D2 specs indicate. Tried the D3 as well, now while it was markedly quicker,it felt, to me anyway, not as nice to drive, the torque pulled you through the power band too quick and leaves you with a slightly uncomfortable drive, I also found the D3 sound a little noisy, now I'll add here this was just my impression from drving back to back the D2 and D3, I'm not saying the D3 was bad at all, just the feeling I got drving them meant I was happier with the D2.

At that stage I was surprised to find, when I reviewed all the cars I had driven, the V40 was right up at the top, not a clear leader, but up there with the A3 and the A Class as my favorite cars, The Golf gets an honourable mention here as it's a fantastic driving car too, but for me was far too similar to the previous version. The Alfa drives well, but the interior is a generation behind and is due for a refresh, The Leon is a great specced car, drives well (MQB based so saimilar to Golf and A3), but was similar price to the V40 and just felt a LOT cheaper, not bad, but the Volvo, A3 and A Class felt a level above the Leon.

So my choice came down to A Class, A3 Sportback and V40 R Design.

I have to say the A Class is my favorite car from the exterior point of view, great looking little car, but the engines were not as good, I only drove the A200 AMG and even though it had more power than the Volvo, did not drive as well, the Interior is a nice place to be as well, but IMHO you need to go for the AMGwith NightPAckage to get the A Class looking right and thats the problem, the costs are what really hurt the A Class, it was more expensive than both the A3 and the V40 by the time you spec it up.

So then there was 2 and to be honest, It's very close between them, The V40 stood out for me as it is and will be an unusual car, especially in Rebel Blue, which I initially didn't like! The A3 Is a good looking car, but not a massive departure from the previous generation (more than the Golf anyway) and I've already seen quite a few A3's driving around!, I've only see 2 V40's!

The Interiors on both cars are fantastic, the A3 a little more 'normal' butstill a nice place to be.

So I priced both, A3 (S-Line 1.6) was not much more than the V40 (R Design D2) , so left me with a close call.

In the end 2 things made me decide, the V40 is likely to be quite a rare car, especially in Rebel Blue and that appeals to me and the final decision was the Lead time. The V40 is due for delivery end of May beginning of June, the A3 Sportback was a minimum of 6months..... Which would just annoy me..

So Volvo V40 ordered!

Sorry for the ramble, but thought I'd explain my decision process, especially as I've surprised myself and my family/friends by going for a Volvo!

Thanks

Shmern

·
Registered
718 Posts
Many thanks for that. Perhaps you should write for one of the car mags :)
I changed to Volvo some years ago from Peugeot, partly due the quality of the car, but the dealer was/is so much better.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sounds like the same reasons we ended up ordering a V40 :) And darn, the servicing was expensive on the Merc too, £26 a month for their plan I think, so £300 per annum, vs. £300 for the Volvo 3 year pack, £500 for 5 years! I also balked at the price of 18" tyres to fit the Merc...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts