Volvo V40 Forums banner

181 - 200 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
On my 2015 T5 geartronic, if I’m in manual sports mode, as in I’ve moved the selector forwards or back to change gears, I can set it back to auto sports by simply holding the stick forward in the + position for 3 seconds, rather than back to D then back to S.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Another hidden feature I found is if when it has just rained, eg...the car still has bits of water here and there on it, when you open the either rear door, there is always a few big drops of water, falling onto the rear seats...just inside of the side 'holders'

·
Registered
617 Posts
Another hidden feature I found is if when it has just rained, eg...the car still has bits of water here and there on it, when you open the either rear door, there is always a few big drops of water, falling onto the rear seats...just inside of the side 'holders'
I've noticed this myself, really handy for them thirsty kids.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Today I noticed, that if the adaptive cruise control is enabled and you press and hold the button again, it switches to a normal cruise control, been looking for that since the day I got the car, and I couldn’t find it in the manual.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Had a closer look at the LED headlights when I opened the hood (actually to fill up the screen wash) noticed there are 2 small adjusters, one for right/left and up/down. Assuming this is to fine tune the headlights

·
Registered
300 Posts
Not exactly a feature, but i found that using higher than standard 95RON petrol gives me 2-3 more mpg like for like, from the trip computer. I've tried both Shell Vpower 99, and Momentum 99, and they had the same effect on mpg. No noticeable effect on power, but then again I've got a T3, maybe T4/T5 owners may notice a difference. Haven't tried the 97RON yet.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Not exactly a feature, but i found that using higher than standard 95RON petrol gives me 2-3 more mpg like for like, from the trip computer. I've tried both Shell Vpower 99, and Momentum 99, and they had the same effect on mpg. No noticeable effect on power, but then again I've got a T3, maybe T4/T5 owners may notice a difference. Haven't tried the 97RON yet.
The manual for the T5 (which I have) recommends 99RON for optimum performance and fuel economy.
My other car is the same and we run both on 99RON all the time, unless circumstances require a fill-up with 95. I don't bother with 97RON (BP and Esso?) and usually stick to Tesco/Shell.
The improved fuel economy is also apparent in both cars and offsets the extra cost, with the bonus of better performance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok guys lets have a little fun with this one whilst also helping fellow members get the full functionality of their prized V40s, Today by accident I found that the centre console arm rest can be adjusted forward for extra comfort, a small but totally random find which will become very usefull on long journeys. The question is has anyone else found any little gems, functions or details whilst using their V40 which they didn't realise even existed until stumbling upon them by accident? knowledge is power after all! :smile2:
Yes the ECO button

·
Registered
300 Posts
City braking works...car moved off in front..i moved.. looked left..car braked, i didnt even realised but the V40 slammed on the brakes for me...and display showed City braking active

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you hit the Power Button for the HiFi it mutes (which I knew). But if you do it while the SatNav lady is speaking you mute her instead.
I couldn't work out why the HiFi was still playing. So I hit it again to mute the HiFi. It was only after I passed a Junction I realised that the SatNav was muted. And in tis state you still get a beep for speed cameras.
After the first restart the muting was reset.

·
Registered
617 Posts
City braking works...car moved off in front..i moved.. looked left..car braked, i didnt even realised but the V40 slammed on the brakes for me...and display showed City braking active
Rreally sh1ts you up when it happens though!! :eek:

·
Registered
97 Posts
That's nothing,I drive a 26 ton Daf truck for a living,it regularly activates emergency braking,usually at 56 mph for some motorway bridges.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Maybe it's just a one off, but if the stereo is playing almost constantly for 4 hours on moderate volumes whilst also running the Sat Nav, it saves itself and freezes and shuts off. All buttons cannot work, but Sat Nav still active. Did eventually manage to hold and power everything off...and it restarted (took a while). Took another few mins for the digital speedo on the Sat Nav screen to show up, assuming this is GPS speed?

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's a good cautionary tale there techwatcher, I feel your pain! thanks for sharing,

the ability to fold the side mirrors in whilst the engine is running is a fantastic tip tho, been trying to work that one out previously!

Some very good info coming to light here though keep them coming guys

Apparently the concept of pressing L & R mirror adjustment buttons is a universal way to fold in mirrors - the logo/icon is also common throughout the car manufacturers- pity it is difficult to interpret and nobody has told the customers ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think I have read all of the ‘hidden features’ posts but don’t think I have seen this mentioned anywhere. I came across something yesterday (after a year and a half of ownership of my 15 plate V40 D4 R design Nav Lux manual) which sort of made me happy and sort of annoyed me a bit... I just wondered if all V40’s were like this?

I tend to drive quite... spiritedly... and always noticed that the revs would take forever to come down for a smooth gear change.

On a longish drive today, I noticed that if I took my time changing gear, in between disengaging the clutch and re-engaging, the engine will drop revs to exactly the right level to enable a smooth gear change. They stay at that level for a few seconds and then drop to a tick over if you don’t engage the clutch again.

So I think that if I re-learn how to change gear, my passengers will thank me, my clutch will thank me and therefore, my bank card will thank me too.

However, I have been driving for over 30 years and have not needed this, as I have previously managed to do this quite well without any assistance from ‘the thing that knows better’.

What do you guys think?

Any way, is this a thing with all Volvo’s, or even all cars? I’m sure my previous company cars didn’t do this...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think I have read all of the ‘hidden features’ posts but don’t think I have seen this mentioned anywhere. I came across something yesterday (after a year and a half of ownership of my 15 plate V40 D4 R design Nav Lux manual) which sort of made me happy and sort of annoyed me a bit... I just wondered if all V40’s were like this?

I tend to drive quite... spiritedly... and always noticed that the revs would take forever to come down for a smooth gear change.

On a longish drive today, I noticed that if I took my time changing gear, in between disengaging the clutch and re-engaging, the engine will drop revs to exactly the right level to enable a smooth gear change. They stay at that level for a few seconds and then drop to a tick over if you don’t engage the clutch again.

So I think that if I re-learn how to change gear, my passengers will thank me, my clutch will thank me and therefore, my bank card will thank me too.

However, I have been driving for over 30 years and have not needed this, as I have previously managed to do this quite well without any assistance from ‘the thing that knows better’.

What do you guys think?

Any way, is this a thing with all Volvo’s, or even all cars? I’m sure my previous company cars didn’t do this...
So you re telling, that if i disengage the clutch, move the gearlever to the next gear( lets say 3 to 4th) and than wait a second or 2, the rpms (with that speed) will match the 4 th gear rpms when i slowly re-enage the clutch? Should this also work like a rev-match when downshifting?

·
Registered
7 Posts
So you re telling, that if i disengage the clutch, move the gearlever to the next gear( lets say 3 to 4th) and than wait a second or 2, the rpms (with that speed) will match the 4 th gear rpms when i slowly re-enage the clutch? Should this also work like a rev-match when downshifting?
That’s what mine does (but not on the downshift unfortunately...) or should I say did... a big accident on Sunday may see me off this forum before I got going!

If you keep the clutch in for too long, the revs then drop back down to a tick over.

This is all very well, until you go from 4th-6th as the ‘brain’ thinks you should be going to 5th, so, again, the clutch will slip as it engages.

I’m really interested if yours does this too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
That’s what mine does (but not on the downshift unfortunately...) or should I say did... a big accident on Sunday may see me off this forum before I got going!

If you keep the clutch in for too long, the revs then drop back down to a tick over.

This is all very well, until you go from 4th-6th as the ‘brain’ thinks you should be going to 5th, so, again, the clutch will slip as it engages.

I’ve just read my reply again, it sounds like the revs just come down and you re-engage the gear as a normal engine. NO! The revs are HELD at the exact right speed for the next gear.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Glad it seems like you are okay, but the volvo not so i assume? Wil try this shift rev thing out tomorrow driving to work, ill keep it updated

181 - 200 of 236 Posts