Volvo V40 Forums banner

201 - 213 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
So you re telling, that if i disengage the clutch, move the gearlever to the next gear( lets say 3 to 4th) and than wait a second or 2, the rpms (with that speed) will match the 4 th gear rpms when i slowly re-enage the clutch? Should this also work like a rev-match when downshifting?
That’s what mine does (but not on the downshift unfortunately...) or should I say did... a big accident on Sunday may see me off this forum before I got going!

If you keep the clutch in for too long, the revs then drop back down to a tick over.

This is all very well, until you go from 4th-6th as the ‘brain’ thinks you should be going to 5th, so, again, the clutch will slip as it engages.

I’m really interested if yours does this too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
That’s what mine does (but not on the downshift unfortunately...) or should I say did... a big accident on Sunday may see me off this forum before I got going!

If you keep the clutch in for too long, the revs then drop back down to a tick over.

This is all very well, until you go from 4th-6th as the ‘brain’ thinks you should be going to 5th, so, again, the clutch will slip as it engages.

I’ve just read my reply again, it sounds like the revs just come down and you re-engage the gear as a normal engine. NO! The revs are HELD at the exact right speed for the next gear.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Glad it seems like you are okay, but the volvo not so i assume? Wil try this shift rev thing out tomorrow driving to work, ill keep it updated

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glad it seems like you are okay, but the volvo not so i assume? Wil try this shift rev thing out tomorrow driving to work, ill keep it updated
Yeah, all ok thanks for asking. Will jave to wait find out what the insurance company says...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Was cleaning my lights yesterday (Thor Hammer LEDs), and had them on (in the day time) with dipped and main beam on...whilst cleaning them, noticed that the two LEDs used for main beam is noticeably brighter/intense by the ways of reflection on my hand, compared to 2 dipped beam. Not sure if LEDs are different / brighter, or the mirror angle made them brighter.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think I have read all of the ‘hidden features’ posts but don’t think I have seen this mentioned anywhere. I came across something yesterday (after a year and a half of ownership of my 15 plate V40 D4 R design Nav Lux manual) which sort of made me happy and sort of annoyed me a bit... I just wondered if all V40’s were like this?

I tend to drive quite... spiritedly... and always noticed that the revs would take forever to come down for a smooth gear change.

On a longish drive today, I noticed that if I took my time changing gear, in between disengaging the clutch and re-engaging, the engine will drop revs to exactly the right level to enable a smooth gear change. They stay at that level for a few seconds and then drop to a tick over if you don’t engage the clutch again.

So I think that if I re-learn how to change gear, my passengers will thank me, my clutch will thank me and therefore, my bank card will thank me too.

However, I have been driving for over 30 years and have not needed this, as I have previously managed to do this quite well without any assistance from ‘the thing that knows better’.

What do you guys think?

Any way, is this a thing with all Volvo’s, or even all cars? I’m sure my previous company cars didn’t do this...
Yes, my V40 do the same. It is T3, 2.0 VEA engine. Only do this on upshift, and not on downshift.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ahh, thanks for that, not just mine then... mine only does upshift too. Do you like it?

Sorry for the late respons, but yes, mine does it too on upshifts, since you mentioned ill drive this way all the time now. To bad not on downshifts, would be amazing.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Also, volvo has new navigation maps online, just updated mine, al it takes a 16gb usb en you can download the software, then plug it in and wait 1.5 hours. If your not driving check every 15 mins for the car to not shut down, the mapinstall will continu if you shut down the car, it will remember where it whas.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I’ve just read my reply again, it sounds like the revs just come down and you re-engage the gear as a normal engine. NO! The revs are HELD at the exact right speed for the next gear.

Can confirm my 1.6 D2 MY 2013 does this as well. I've been using this ever since I got the car (unless I'm flooring it). I think it takes like 1 - 1.5 seconds for the car to rev match, so once you get used to it, it won't slow you down that much. Love that it automatically revs when you drive away in first gear as well, though I never tried that on a steep hill.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Did Volvo remove twin horns?
When I purchased my 2016 V40 R Design it had twin horns as standard, but prior to taking delivery I was told on this site that twin horns had been dropped by Volvo, but the wiring harness is still there to add the 2nd horn.
Like I say mine definitely came with twin horns.
Maybe it depends on the spec ?
Not sure about newer models ?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Also, volvo has new navigation maps online, just updated mine, al it takes a 16gb usb en you can download the software, then plug it in and wait 1.5 hours. If your not driving check every 15 mins for the car to not shut down, the mapinstall will continu if you shut down the car, it will remember where it whas.

Are you sure? I just checked the Volvo Sensus website and the maps are still dated April 19.

201 - 213 of 213 Posts