Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I'm looking for help with a problem. The error message I'm receiving is as the title states. I'm driving a 151 V40. Diesel. 60,700 miles. I'm the second owner with two years without a problem. It started as a 'coolant level low' issue a few months back. We had a frosty snap two weeks before Christmas and I realised after a few mins driving one morning I had no heat. Heaters continued to blow cold. After leaving it to my mechanic we found I was getting heat through when I was able to reach high speeds but after a few minutes the 'High Engine Temperature Reduce Speed' message would show and quickly progress to 'High Engine Temperature Stop Safely' and pulls back the power in the car.

He has not been able to find the problem so far after numerous investigations. The 'Check Engine' Light is now also on since installing a new timing belt and water pump.

List of what has been done:
Radiator flushed 3 times (quite a lot of muck was emptied)
Thermostat housing replaced with new as it was not opening or closing properly with more 'muck'.
Timing belt and water pump have just been replaced, which were due. This is the last thing that has been done.

Internal radiator is the next possibility I'm facing.

Anyone else experience this problem? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am in thr exact same boat V40 D2 68,000, it runs but no heat in the cab, new water pump, new thermostat and timing belt. Bled three times and still the same.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Probably a small crack in the head gasket, causing high pressure in the cooling system. If the pressure becomes too high, coolant is discharged.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hi all, I'm looking for help with a problem. The error message I'm receiving is as the title states. I'm driving a 151 V40. Diesel. 60,700 miles. I'm the second owner with two years without a problem. It started as a 'coolant level low' issue a few months back. We had a frosty snap two weeks before Christmas and I realised after a few mins driving one morning I had no heat. Heaters continued to blow cold. After leaving it to my mechanic we found I was getting heat through when I was able to reach high speeds but after a few minutes the 'High Engine Temperature Reduce Speed' message would show and quickly progress to 'High Engine Temperature Stop Safely' and pulls back the power in the car.

He has not been able to find the problem so far after numerous investigations. The 'Check Engine' Light is now also on since installing a new timing belt and water pump.

Thermostat housing replaced with new as it was not opening or closing properly with more 'muck'.
Timing belt and water pump have just been replaced, which were due. This is the last thing that has been done.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I fear you have replaced the causes of overheating, but it may be the head gasket. Had a similar problem years ago with a Dolomite engine - only they fixed the head gasket, but ignored the cause and 3 months later the head gasket blew again !!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your replies. My mechanic managed to get to the bottom of it in the end. After reading a horror story on this site from another discussion he checked if any coolant was disappearing, which it was not and did some other checks also which ruled out any head gasket issues. What they did do which seems to have sorted the problem is they used a vacuum kit on the internal radiator, the timing belt and water pump had been replaced at this stage a last bit of air was found and all seems ok since fingers crossed. The system must not have been bled fully and so they flushed again, replaced coolant etc and pressurised. Hope my terminology is right 😀😀. Hope this helps someone else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for your replies. My mechanic managed to get to the bottom of it in the end. After reading a horror story on this site from another discussion he checked if any coolant was disappearing, which it was not and did some other checks also which ruled out any head gasket issues. What they did do which seems to have sorted the problem is they used a vacuum kit on the internal radiator, the timing belt and water pump had been replaced at this stage a last bit of air was found and all seems ok since fingers crossed. The system must not have been bled fully and so they flushed again, replaced coolant etc and pressurised. Hope my terminology is right 😀😀. Hope this helps someone else.
I will certainly let me garage know this as I've has the exact same problems as you, when I bleed the system (not mechanically) everything is fine for about 30 mins the it gets cold again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is the car still running well, has the issue come back?

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts