Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My V40 will soon need break pads replacement.
The place I usually have my car serviced recommends ferrodo pads. Reading up on those it appears they are basic at best ?
I am a high speed long distance highway driver. It often involves having to break hard, example, when a truck pulls just in front of you at the last minute.
Any suggestions/experiences as to which pads will offer me safety (!) and cost effectiveness?
Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have fitted brembo pads on the front and ferrodo on the rear. The rear are pretty good but the brembos are really crappy. I have major fade when braking hard at the highway from 180 to 120. I believe the OEM Volvo pads are far superior. I will be due to changing them in 5k so I might go with the OEM + brembo drilled discs

·
Registered
2017 R Design D2
441 Posts
I used Ferrodo "racing" on an old car, worked great at Silverstone, with "red dot " grooved discs :)
unsure if they still do them??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I am really at a loss. I read too much I guess o_O

ATE is sometimes being raved about, then dismissed all together. Some say Ferrodo is great, other ditch Ferrodo, but then there seem to be two ferrodo's which are hard for a non car expert to tell apart. And I could go on, so many options out there.

I would go for OEM Volvo just for the ease and peace, if it were not that where I live one needs to book a Volvo dealership appointment at least 3 months ahead of time.

Has anyone else got suggestions/confirmations for regularly highway 180 to 120/90 hard breaking scenario ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I remember braking from 180 to 120/90 with OEM pads was pretty decent. Only reason I got the Brembo fitted was the dealer quoted the front pads change 270€!! Now I will be fitting the OEM again but at a 3rd party workshop

·
Registered
291 Posts
Has anyone else got suggestions/confirmations for regularly highway 180 to 120/90 hard breaking scenario ?
Yes, but it's probably not the answer you're looking for. If you regularly find yourself in that situation you are failing to anticipate the possible actions of other road users and not adjusting your speed according to the conditions. If that type of scenario happens to you regularly, you clearly haven't learnt from previous experience.

Just the observations of a retired class 1 advanced police driver!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts