Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've got my v40 at last, the manual mentions it has a hill start assist function and it does not have an asterisk to indicate it is an option so i presume it is standard. I can't get it to work. Any ideas?

Thank you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!

To my understanding the HSA should be standard and it can’t even be turned on/off by the driver. Have you got automatic or manual gearbox? If you’ve got automatic transmission you may not even notice the system when driving normally as also the gearbox will prevent the car rolling backwards on an uphill slope. With manual gearbox the HSA works as described in the manual at least in my car. (A very helpful feature btw.) The only thing to notice is that you have to bring the car to a stop with the brakes. The system won’t kick in if you just let the car roll to a stop without using brakes.

Let your dealer to have a look at your car if you’re sure the system is not working.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Find a hill. Come to a stop and put the car in neutral and the handbrake on. Press the foot brake, engage clutch and first gear (but don't bring clutch up), take hand brake off and then foot brake. You'll notice the car won't move. Bring the clutch up to drive off and the brake disengages itself. Basically the car just keeps the foot brake on a little longer after you release it, when on a hill. It won't work if you don't use the foot brake.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much for your answers. My v40 is manual. I've had a bit more of a play and it only works when the gear stick is not in neutral. I initially thought braking to a standstill on a hill I should be able to lift my foot off the brake and not roll backwards.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I love this function! it was a surprise function that I didn't know the car has and since my girl friend is sort of a learner drive, it helps her a great deal!

·
Super Moderator
630 Posts
No, hill start won't be active for always, it is just there to help you when you pull away on a hill, to stop the car from rolling back. If you wait longer than 2 or 3 seconds, you will feel the brakes disengages, and the cars starts rolling back.

This only applies to the manual gearbox

·
Registered
252 Posts
HSA works really well on the V40.

And is of cause it is standard :thumbup: (Audi charge £90 for it :dodgy:)

·
Registered
110 Posts
No, hill start won't be active for always, it is just there to help you when you pull away on a hill, to stop the car from rolling back. If you wait longer than 2 or 3 seconds, you will feel the brakes disengages, and the cars starts rolling back.

This only applies to the manual gearbox
I know it is a useful function and I appreciate the fact it comes as a standard.
Anyone knows if you can adjust / turn off HSA
I've been driving manual all my life and I am used to starting on a steep hill without hand break. I am not used to the HSA kicking in (even in hills not very steep)
I think it holds the brakes too long and in 2-3 occasions my v40 shut off...:blush::blush::blush:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but is this still a standard feature? The reason I ask is that in my manual it has an asterisk to indicate an added option.

Just wondering, as I've never really noticed anything on steep hills. I imagine I am engaging with it wrong for it to be activated. But I'll give it a shot!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts