Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, first ever post here so please be gentle. After a few months of deliberating I have now decided the V40 is going to be my next car. I went to view one at the weekend, D3, 65 Plate, Osmium Grey, 35K on the clock, R-Design Lux, Nav, Winter Pack and rear reversing camera and full leather upholstery. I was due to go back tonight to have a look but unfortunately it’s now sold.

It was on for just over £12K and if I’m being honestly I’m totally gutted, it seemed to me like it was a decent price for the extras it had but if anybody thinks otherwise please let me know as i’ll openly admit my knowledge is ok but not the greatest in terms of value etc.

Am I right in saying that the chances of finding another one with the exact same spec including the colour are quite slim?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hang in there. Yes it's a shame you missed that one, but keep searching, and be prepared to travel. My search took 3 months before I found one almost identical to the one you've described (in Carlisle). Well worth the wait.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi everyone, first ever post here so please be gentle. After a few months of deliberating I have now decided the V40 is going to be my next car. I went to view one at the weekend, D3, 65 Plate, Osmium Grey, 35K on the clock, R-Design Lux, Nav, Winter Pack and rear reversing camera and full leather upholstery. I was due to go back tonight to have a look but unfortunately it’s now sold.

It was on for just over £12K and if I’m being honestly I’m totally gutted, it seemed to me like it was a decent price for the extras it had but if anybody thinks otherwise please let me know as i’ll openly admit my knowledge is ok but not the greatest in terms of value etc.

Am I right in saying that the chances of finding another one with the exact same spec including the colour are quite slim?
There's a big advantage with buying a used V40 - most options came as packs when bought new. The consequence is that buying used is a bit more straightforward. Just check what packs each car has, also, a lot of V40's were well specced from new - it's that sort of car. It makes them great value used and you will find many with the options and colour you want.

Don't pay extra for extras... Dealers often expect you to, sure, you may pay a tiny bit more but it doesn't alter the value of a car greatly.

Have you looked on cargurus?

James

·
Registered
65 Posts
.. and make sure you get rear parking sensors. Camera is great too. Autotrader lets you tailor your own specs, as does Volvo Selekt I think.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m in no major rush so happy to wait for the right one to come along, my current car is due for it’s MOT in September and wont get throug the test without spending a good few hundred quid and it’s worth £300 at best so I’ve got about 6 months.

I’ve not heard of CarGurus but just been on and had a look and it looks a useful site to thanks. This is the link for the one I was talking about https://www.thecarpeople.co.uk/find-a-car/car-details/volvo-v40-wakefield-519458

Does it seem priced low for the spec and age or about right?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, it seems there’s plenty about with the same colour but not quite the spec I’ve seen. Like I said i’m In no major rush and happy to wait for the right one because ultimately it’s going to be my car for the next 5 years so it needs to be right.

Do the parking sensors and camera normally come together or could they be selected separately from new?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Autotrader lets you tailor your own specs, as does Volvo Selekt I think.
When I was searching before buying my car, I noticed that even on Volvo Selekt some dealers aren't very good at listing the features, or even the model sometimes. It meant searching photos to see whether there were sensors, heated seat switches, and so on.

Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
942 Posts
A warm welcome to the forum MichaelE :smile2:
I'd suggest looking for one with the driver support pack as it won't add anywhere near the extra cost that it did when purchased new & brings with it a lot of good kit.
Adaptive cruise, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert & in Oz at least it also included the road sign information system though not sure if it does in the UK.
Well worth it for Adaptive cruise alone particularly in an auto where it adds full stop & go functionality which works brilliantly.
I'll look forward to some pics of the car you decide on :wink2:

·
Registered
771 Posts
hi and welcome. I think were price is concerned a good look though gumtree in the uk will give you a very good idea that as to condition total mileage, don't forget any reported damage s or n will make the car cheaper but sometimes a bit of trouble to insure, prices can range from £6000 for a high miles bendy car to about what you would have paid, the d3 seems a good one to go for though some would say go for the d4 as that is what you will want, but in the real world of cash on the counter running I went for the d2 r lux because that was all we needed, more comfort than speed but saying that the d2 r came new with the lower sports chassis when we got ours, so packs need to be checked before you slap down the cash, but as you are doing take your time and get that one that you will take a backward look at knowing its yours.
I still do 4 years on with now just one year left on our extended lease with just 16500 miles someone will be getting a bargain when it goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies and the advice from everybody it’s appreciated I’m coming across similar ones but they’be just not quite got everything.

Came across a very heavily specced one however it was only a D2 1.6. After reading certain reviews online I’ve come to the decision the D3 will be a better option compared the D2 in terms of performance and Economy.

As much as I’d love to have one quickly I’m in no rush and will wait to find the right one, spoke to a dealership down in Norwich where I saw the one that had everything but was a D2 and he’s going to speak to their buyer and get in touch with me should be find anything. Norwich incidentally is nowhere near where I live in South Yorkshire but as some have said on here I need to be prepared to travel.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thanks for the replies and the advice from everybody it’s appreciated I’m coming across similar ones but they’be just not quite got everything.

Came across a very heavily specced one however it was only a D2 1.6. After reading certain reviews online I’ve come to the decision the D3 will be a better option compared the D2 in terms of performance and Economy.

As much as I’d love to have one quickly I’m in no rush and will wait to find the right one, spoke to a dealership down in Norwich where I saw the one that had everything but was a D2 and he’s going to speak to their buyer and get in touch with me should be find anything. Norwich incidentally is nowhere near where I live in South Yorkshire but as some have said on here I need to be prepared to travel.
Michael
You need to look for "K" prefix registrations - they tend to be fully loaded

·
Registered
6 Posts
Michael
You need to look for "K" prefix registrations - they tend to be fully loaded
Mine is a "K" prefix, and has every pack available, plus HK sound. I too looked around and waited, and found these cars with loads of extras go quick. I checked the used volvo's through their Seleck program and found that you see them before going on autotrader etc.

Prices can be decent also, I didn't pay that much more than you originally found for a 16 plate MY17 updated version with 30k miles, so keep patient and have a look on the volvo used site

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After reading through a few posts on here I’m now starting to think I might be better suited to a T3. At present my annual average mileage is below 10K and the majority of this is city driving however once a month I would probably use the car for a long journey on the motorway whether this be to visit family or travel to away games.

What’s everybody’s thoughts? If I do go for the D3 am I potentially opening myself up to a lot of issues with the DPF etc?

·
Registered
219 Posts
If your city trips are short , and hence the system doesn't get hot enough, yes you could have problems.
The DPF soot trap fills up and needs to get very hot to burn off the accumulated soot. Ideally you'd need to be on a fast road doing over 50 for half an hour or so regularly.
Older euro 5 5cyl D3s might be more forgiving as there is less exhaust gas recycling involved compared to Euro 6.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It might have taken 10 months from my first ever post but I’m hopefully collecting my first ever V40 on Saturday. It’s a 68 Plate Volvo Selekt R-Design Nav Plus T3 with the 18” alloys, full leather, winter Pack, HK sound system, Intellisafe, and reversing camera in Bursting Blue. Decided that I didn’t really need what the Xenium Pack offered and would definitely prefer the Intellisafe over it. Although it’s a decent spec it’s not actually a K Prefix Reg and is a L prefix. After doing my research I think I’ve got a really good price for it. Once it’s officially mine i’ll reveal the price and see what you all think.

So glad I never got the first one I saw and have waited for the right one!!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Yes! thats a great result and I hope you will be very happy with it, as a nearly to be ex driver of our v40 r lux with just 20,000 mls on the clock after 5 years, we have had to search our motability co lease for a car that now has to have very wide doors to accept a wheelchair slide board for mrs b, and it wasn't very easy to give up on the volvo brand, with the demise or 3 doors cars it came to just one, so our choice was restricted as mrs refused point blank to have a WAV, so we understand your wait to get what you want that fits your life style for the years to come, congratulations.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It’s official I’m now a V40 owner, picked it up from Peterborough yesterday morning after travelling from South Yorkshire.

T3 Manual 68 Plate
Bursting Blue
16700 Miles Approx
Full Leather
Winter Pack
Sports Pack (Which I think makes it lowered slightly)
Hardon Karman Sound System
18” Alloys
Intellisafe Pack
Reversing Camera and Sensors

Did a deal at £15,500 which I think is a good price considering the spec? I’d be interested to hear everyone’s else’s thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Congratulations! It's a great spec and colour ...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Well done, suggest u run first tank with Shell vpower 99 or Esso Supreme 97 for its cleaning properties. On highways (68-72mph) you can expect high 40s (like 47-48) mpg. Use cruise control, in the city perhaps high 20s mpg if traffic up to high 30s little traffic. If going 40-50mph speeds on extra urban, perhaps even 50s mpg is possible. Also use autosol to keep those exhaust tips shiny

1 - 20 of 21 Posts