Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I've been waiting for my car now for 3 weeks and I've forgotten what it sounded like exactly.

It's worrying me a little that the D3 sounded a little like a tractor from the inside? What do you guys think of the sound of the engine from the inside and from the outside?

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
It is awesome, PERIOD. :) That is now if you still have the 2.0 5 cylinder like mine. When you start the engine, it does sound like a John Deere, but after a while it gets quieter, but the best is when you drive it, en you drive it hard, and in sport mode around corners between houses, sounds like a big 4.0 V8 muscle car.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I recall test driving that and the D2. I remember it had quite a low, bassy grumble to it. It was nice, but also a bit noisy when driving around. I thought it'd be cool for a while but might actually get on my nerves on long journeys. The D2 was much smoother, and as I do 1250-1500 miles a month, I decided to go for that one.

·
Registered
389 Posts
For a diesel te d3 sounds great espically when you give it some welly, with that extra cylinder i am finding it hard to locate the sweet spot for optimum driving for example when i had my pd140 2.0tdi jetta 2000rpm was the sweet spot for best fuel economy and torque.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Excellent if you have a fairly heavy right foot, but if you drive gently then quiet and unassuming. Great sound (inside) and good performance, but I no longer dream of driving an F1!!
From outside, no idea :)

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Voodoo we must plan a meet up for us SA guys.
Yip, we must, I am in a mood for some skidpan action, maybe I must go gate crash a VW event, lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
I made a 15 minute video a few months back of a short drive home from a mates house with the windows up. It's should give you an idea of about how quiet the engine is from inside and kinda how it sounds when you floor it. Linked below, I hope this helps further answer your question :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9mwP1tGnK0

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
The D3 engine is quiet when you drive, my brother drove the other day with me and said it is quiet for a diesel.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Just a pitty the suspension isn't quiet :-(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.