Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The thread "Volvo for life?" below made me think of it. Plus the longer and longer times for new posts to appear in the various categories on this forum. Of course, we're a dying breed, not only from the point of view that the V40 is sadly no longer with us, but also because internal combustion itself is on the way out, even though I suspect it'll be around a lot longer than people think.

We're rather fond of our V40 (D3 CC), purchased at least partially because it could fit in the garage and leave some space (more and more a problem as cars get steadily bigger, and particularly wider). Since it came in September 2014, precisely one thing has gone wrong with it (one mirror folding motor continued to work even when the mirror had completely folded). It handles the annual Basel to Belfast run marvellously and comfortably well. It's not the roomiest inside, but the younger ladies have long since departed us, so it's completely adequate for the two of us. With the front seat folded forward, I can even fit an amazing amount of 2.5M long bits of wood inside. So, the current idea is to keep it until it disintegrates around us.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well I have moved on from Volvo ownership having sold my 2014 D2, I was hoping it would 'be for life' when purchased.
After 2 different injectors failing within 3 months of each other at a mere 17,000 miles and the constant worry of it developing the infamous water loss / cracked block they are known for, I decided it had to go. I bought a Volvo for reliability .. what were the chances of the remaining two injectors failing? I was told that the failure was not due to soot build up but electronics. The 2 failures were dealt with at 2 different dealers and both under an extended waranty. I could have bought another V40 but could not put up with the low fuel consumsion of a petrol model and was put off another diesel due to the demonisation at the time.

Do I miss it? Yes to be honest and even my wife has mentioned it several times.

·
Registered
2017 R Design D2
667 Posts
Our C30 inspired me in the first 5 miles to buy V40 no.1, seemed well built and my Insignia was due for tax at nearly 300 quid! and needed loads spending on bodywork due to car park fools. Regular readers might remember my 1.6D2 had clutch issues that couldnt be fixed (quote Volvo h/q) so I moved it on for after just 2 short years. V40 no2 So far, it's still performing as intended. Said C30 was replaced 2 weeks ago, after 3 years to the day as it "possibly needed an engine" despite having a full history and covering 12k miles per year. So, mainly due to the rather poor experiance of both my V40 purchases not just with the mechanical aspect, but the lack of care from the head office and the fact the C30 survived just over a decade, theres a BMW 220 sat on the drive. Previously, a list of Vauxhalls changed on average every 7 years, sadly I dont expect the V40 to last that long!!!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Our C30 inspired me in the first 5 miles to buy V40 no.1, seemed well built and my Insignia was due for tax at nearly 300 quid! and needed loads spending on bodywork due to car park fools. Regular readers might remember my 1.6D2 had clutch issues that couldnt be fixed (quote Volvo h/q) so I moved it on for after just 2 short years. V40 no2 So far, it's still performing as intended. Said C30 was replaced 2 weeks ago, after 3 years to the day as it "possibly needed an engine" despite having a full history and covering 12k miles per year. So, mainly due to the rather poor experiance of both my V40 purchases not just with the mechanical aspect, but the lack of care from the head office and the fact the C30 survived just over a decade, theres a BMW 220 sat on the drive. Previously, a list of Vauxhalls changed on average every 7 years, sadly I dont expect the V40 to last that long!!!
Our first car in Swizzieland was an Opel (= Vauxhall) Astra Caravan station wagon. It was a mighty machine, lasting 20 years and 346,000Km, taking us and our camping gear all over the continent. In the end, the rust got it - there was no way it could have passed the MFK (Swizzieland's MOT) without work that would probably have cost 10 times the value of the car. I don't think I cried when it was wheeled away at the Volvo dealers for the last time, but it came close. It was almost like losing a family member. I'm hoping that the V40 delivers similar service.

·
Registered
2017 R Design D2
667 Posts
Our first car in Swizzieland was an Opel (= Vauxhall) Astra Caravan station wagon. It was a mighty machine, lasting 20 years and 346,000Km, taking us and our camping gear all over the continent. In the end, the rust got it - there was no way it could have passed the MFK
Ahh, the Opel tin worm... nearly got the better of my Cavalier Calibre (close to Ascona C i200) which I've owned since '92. Not covered the miles your Astra did, but I bet the rusting underside would have been comparable!!!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh, the Opel tin worm... nearly got the better of my Cavalier Calibre (close to Ascona C i200) which I've owned since '92. Not covered the miles your Astra did, but I bet the rusting underside would have been comparable!!!
Never looked at the underside, but the fact that there were rust bubbles appearing on the sills clearly indicated that much worse going on inside the box sections. "Can this be repaired?" I asked the local Opel dealer, who had looked after it for all of its 20 years. "Yeeeeeeeeessssss....but..."

·
Registered
941 Posts
And cracked engine blocks...... (in a petrol in my case :mad: )
But we've taken the decision to keep it on the road as we can't see a better alternative on the market.
With our (current and predicted) travel pattern Hybrid or Electric just doesn't work with available vehicles that we would want to use and can afford to buy.

And our other car is over 20 years old and has just had a major life-extending overhaul; it will probably last longer than the V40. :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts